1.8T (160) v's 2.0 TDI (143)

pns2007

Moonstone Grey
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well, I have managed to get a good part exchange on my A3 cabriolet and thinking of changing to a different model/car.

Does anyone have any feedback on the two engines listed above, i.e performance, mpg, cost to run etc. Any comments are welcome even if you've only had experience of the one engine.

Seen the recent post regarding the 143/170 TDI's but the 170 will not be an option for me.

Cheers guys

Edit - I only do about 8K miles a year

Last edited:
I was humming and harring over what to get and presently have a B7 140 TDI S-Line + wifey has an ED30 GTI so I know all about what mpg to expect from petrol.

I had a 2.0Tq demo which was rapid and stuck like $hite to the road.

It was not as rapid as the ED30 and drunk more juice.

The 1.8T I have no experience of, but I have of the 143 hence opting for it.

Its a country mile ahead of the old 140 and with either a spider or bluefin should see 180bhp plus.

Along with the multitronic box it will suit me and my driving to a T and will hopefully hold a tad more cash over the years to a 1.8T.

But at the end of the days its horses for courses and I am sure the 1.8T is a great motor.

ta
Paul

I had a 2006 b7 140 tdi that religiously returned 37 mpg whether idrove it granny or ragged it, from day one to 29000.Nice torque, but nowhere near as quick as a petrol equiv.Plus you can chip it easy enogh to as stated in previous thread to 180bhp.A lot easier than chipping a 170, which can only be upped by 30bhp without buggering about with the dpf and exhaust.Im having my 170 chipped tomorrow...It only does 32 at the moment so i might as well get as much power as i can.As you only do 8000 a year, id get an S3!!

Thanks for your replies.

Have decided to go for the 1.8T. I have driven the 2.0TDI (143), 1.8 T (160) and the 2.0T and loved all of them. I went for the 1.8T mainly because Audi have one in stock (S-Line Exec in brilliant red) which I can have next week. Otherwise its a 3 month wait for a car to suit my options. The 1.8 is a quick motor and performs really well, didn't appear to thirsty either

Can't wait now, I'll be moving over to the B8 section soon :)

Nice one matey and look forward to pics.

Waiting.........tell me about it.
Ordered mine from the airport when I headed off on my hols back in July. Still.....being built this week so not to far off.

Nice one!
I have just got a 18t 160 after selling my B6 18t 190 and haven’t found much difference.