1.8 turbo or 1.8 turbo quattro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lmao- loved that post.

Just to clarify, the difference between my average for the trip and the total of the tank is because once I got back home I went back to hooning it. The reason I did it was to say that it could be done...

Grow up, you don't own an 8L, and judging by your posts you know sweet f*ck all about them. So other than for winding me up why are you posting?

so owning one for 18 months means nothing then? at the end of the day you chat ****

first your cars faster than any other car on the road and now it's the most economical

you may rip off wallies by lieing to them about them dodgy mazdas you sell, but you cant pull the wool over my eyes and i certainly wont let you say utter crap like a 1.8t is more economical than a 1.9tdi

come on, surely you know making such STUPID claims will end up with you having the **** taken out of you ? someone asked for advice and you basically told them a load of crap, what good is that ? why bother even lieing?

i suppose there is a chance that your are right, you know, maybe all the websites and documentation created by manufacturers is incorrect when it comes to fuel consumption between diesel and petrol cars? or maybe all the people on here with their claims are incorrect too? or maybe my experience with a a3 8l tdi didn't happen

grow up? you're the one who took a screenshot of you blocking my posts!

It clearly doesn't mean anything no, because you pop up talking about A3's based on your S3 experience and you end up looking like an idiot.

You say I make stupid claims, but they aren't claims. My car is quicker than any stock turbo S3, it's as far as I know fact and has been proven time and time again. Until I go in a K04 S3 which is quicker, or get passed by one then hats off. Until then it has been proven many times. Including infront of 100's of people at ADI on the track where two up I pulled on Joe at a pretty rapid rate.

What is so crazy about my car getting 50mpg? I HAVE done it, other people with 1.8t's have done it and I would go and do it tomorrow with you sat in the car just to shut you up. I didn't say that daily driven the 1.8t was better than the diesel, you said that on my behalf. I said that for the difference in MPG, and based on how good the 1.8t is that the diesel didn't make much sense. Because for the age of the car it isnt eligable for being a company car, nobody is going to be doing 1000 miles a week in a 10 year old diesel A3. So why not have the better driving, more powerful and generally better petrol engine? Because given the price of a diesel A3, the insurance and servicing costs you could get a much more economical car for half the money.

If you wouldn't mind reading back through my posts and hi-lighting where I said a 1.8t does more MPG than a TDI I would appreciate it. Because as far as I can see it is you who is "chatting ****" and generally being antagonistic.

I don't know what your problem is with me, but all of your posts towards me have always been disbelieving or discrediting what I say based on your experience of other people and other cars. You have never seen my car, never been in my car and never will go in my car by all accounts You will never go in a car like mine because it is a totally bespoke map. But take it from the people who have been in it, and their lack of replies and their lack of put downs that everything I say about it is true.

There are only one or two people on this forum who give me a hard time, and you're one of them. So either grow up and agree to disagree until there comes a time you have been in my car, have met me and have an informed opinion. Or add me to your ignore list as I will with you, because I am fed up with your broken record of negativity.

Last edited:
It clearly doesn't mean anything no, because you pop up talking about A3's based on your S3 experience and you end up looking like an idiot.

You say I make stupid claims, but they aren't claims. My car is quicker than any stock turbo S3, it's as far as I know fact and has been proven time and time again. Until I go in a K04 S3 which is quicker, or get passed by one then hats off. Until then it has been proven many times. Including infront of 100's of people at ADI on the track where two up I pulled on Joe at a pretty rapid rate.

What is so crazy about my car getting 50mpg? I HAVE done it, other people with 1.8t's have done it and I would go and do it tomorrow with you sat in the car just to shut you up. I didn't say that daily driven the 1.8t was better than the diesel, you said that on my behalf. I said that for the difference in MPG, and based on how good the 1.8t is that the diesel didn't make much sense. Because for the age of the car it isnt eligable for being a company car, nobody is going to be doing 1000 miles a week in a 10 year old diesel A3. So why not have the better driving, more powerful and generally better petrol engine? Because given the price of a diesel A3, the insurance and servicing costs you could get a much more economical car for half the money.

I don't know what your problem is with me, but all of your posts towards me have always been disbelieving or discrediting what I say based on your experience of other people and other cars. You have never seen my car, never been in my car and never will go in my car by all accounts You will never go in a car like mine because it is a totally bespoke map. But take it from the people who have been in it, and their lack of replies and their lack of put downs that everything I say about it is true.

There are only one or two people on this forum who give me a hard time, and you're one of them. So either grow up and agree to disagree until there comes a time you have been in my car, have met me and have an informed opinion. Or add me to your ignore list as I will with you, because I am fed up with your broken record of negativity.

1 - ok, i know nothing about cars, everyone ignore me
2 - i do not care how fast your car is, honestly, i have no interest, but it seems to me that that's all you care about ??
3 - yes, we all believe you, but no one really cares about that either, it's the claim you made about it being just as economical as a tdi when your stats prooved it was LESS economical than my old s3 which i got 500 odd miles out of once
4 - no problem with you whatsoever, you just can't be a man and have a debate and once again, i honestly couldn't care any less about your bespoke map
5 - and there's probably 100 people that hate me, bothered? the thing is you and your car are by far the quickest couple on the net, i'm surprised you have not got her knocked up yet

at the end of the day, making stupid statements about how petrol is just as economical as diesels is nothing other than stupid, not one person on this site has agreed with you and i doubt they will

my rs4 would smoke your car into next week, as would my 1098 and i reckon even my single cylinder 58bhp 660 would too LOL

see, that above statement was pointless, that's what you are like with your car (mines better than yours)

Hey mate
all the a3/s3 s are quick and lets face it, we live in the uk and the speed limit is 70, do you really need a car that cold race a super car?
No, so buy an S3 there the top of the range and 4wd not that bad mpg if driven normally and great to look at.
Easy buy one

3 - yes, we all believe you, but no one really cares about that either, it's the claim you made about it being just as economical as a tdi when your stats prooved it was LESS economical than my old s3 which i got 500 odd miles out of once

I clearly didn't say that a 1.8t was as economical as a TDI, I never said that anywhere. My stats said that I got 365 miles out of a tank, which was a trip to Basingstoke and back rolling along at 70MPH. Never did I say I got 50MPG over an entire tank and got 365 miles. Again, go and quote where I said that?

at the end of the day, making stupid statements about how petrol is just as economical as diesels is nothing other than stupid, not one person on this site has agreed with you and i doubt they will

Again, I never made such stupid statements. You made those statements on my behalf, you didn't read what I said and then whipped it round on me.

What I said was -

My car hasnt been lightened at all?! My car has full leathers! When I went home for Christmas, rolling along the A303 at 70 I averaged 39.2mph on the way back, and got just over 365 miles from the tank. My highest MPG average was 53.2 from Basingstoke to Plymouth at 58mph.

The only error there was that I said 39.2mph not MPG, but it's pretty obvious what I meant?

So all of your argument is in fact, ********!

Yup, full heated leathers, always carry a spare. 100% totally standard interior. Apart from at ADI where I removed the spare and the rear bench.

I knew there was something missing when I had a peek @ADI!

Joe comes along telling me to get real about the MPG my car HAS achieved and picking holes about my car (epic moderation skills there Joe, hats off) and then the voltures descend.

I'm not sure how my 'moderation skills' comes into it? Am I not allowed to be a normal ASN member and give the same reply as everyone else as a 'moderator'?! If that's the case, I would happily lose my moderator status for that purpose! :moa:

Why does it always come this Jardo? You did not pull away from me at a rapid rate(Prawn pulled away from me at a rapid rate!), you pulled away from me slowly, had there been enough straight, I might have still be catching you up once my car got into it's stride!

And your point about being two up, I was two up also.... two blokes infact, you had your missus, and minus the weight of your back bench and spare wheel(as quote further up), so quite a weight advantage don't you think?

Anyways, to the OP, buy yourself a 1.8T A3, forget the quattro, it will just slow you down, and if MPG is of importance, then consider the TDI 130, it's a great car if you can live with Derv power, plus the engine is bullet proof! I have a Passat 1.9 TDI 115 on 188k miles that's been remapped for the last 108k miles, and it still pulls like a train on it's original turbo and exhaust!

Hi guys thanks for the help. Sorry Didn't expect to have you all boxing. Maybe i should have said I'm only 18 and looking for my second car so not to fussed about tuning but that's useful to know if i have the car long enough to afford to go for big power. I currently drive a corsa b 1.4 so all of these cars are going to be a big step up in terms of performance and economy as the corsa is rubbish. I looked at a car today in glasgow. It was a 2001 1.8 turbo sport (AUM) with 84000 miles on the clock for 2300 pounds. It needs a couple of things doing but not to much. the body work was in surprisingly good condition for a car of its age with only one rust spot that i could see. Going for a second look tomoro with my old boss who is a bit of a vag nut. SO never no i could have a new car tomoro. Does the price of this car sound about right for its age and miles. I thought it was really cheap.

Double post winrarz Joe!!!

I'm not knocking your modding skills, you're a legend and one of the friendliest people I've met on this forum. But I can't help thinking if you hadn't of opened the door then every Tom, **** and Harry wouldn't have come running in.

As for ADI, yeah I had a weight advantage but that's the whole point. If I knew how to drive on slick tyres it would have been a lot different, if I'd have been on road tyres it'd have been a lot different too. I had the most biblical wheel spin, it was embarrassing. But that's all if's and excuses! This year we'll take it a bit more seriously? I'll leave a full interior in and drive on road tyres, and we'll see the outcome? I'm sure you can agree that 5/6 laps in when my tyres had got warm enough to offer as much grip as a standard road tyre I was pulling quite quick, and by lap 7/8/getting back into the final lap it was over.

For me, the track time is the only real test for two cars like for like. Both cars, on the same surface being driven at the same time with the same goal. To be in front of the other. I was in front, simples. Don't get me wrong, I'd have your car over mine in a heart beat. But for performance on the day my car was ahead. Although, I will admit you waved my through as we exited the pits. But I think with the straight after camp I'm have had you anyway and it'd have been much the same as it was. I'd love to drive an S3 on the track, proper at the limits. I'd love to see what it behaved like, yours was so much more composed than my time bomb.

As I say, a PROPER comparison back to back with full interiors and road tyres is needed.

Last edited:
Double post winrarz Joe!!!

Corrected whilst you was making your reply. :moa:

As I say, a PROPER comparison back to back with full interiors and road tyres is needed.

There is no need, I'll take a dump before I go out, then you will be behind me along the straight! HAHAHAHAHA! :laugh:

are you still waffling on about YOUR 50mpg car being fast ? everything is a competition with you !! you claimed to get 50mpg and that there was very little difference between your car and a tdi in terms of fuel consumption, you only have to looks over the posts to see this, if you get 50mpg out of your car then you'd get 60 mpg on a diesel driving the same, you also made no mention of what you get in town, i'd guess 26- 29 mpg in town if you are sensible, compared to that of a tdi which will get 40 in town even if you hoon it

in all seriousness, if i were you kavan i'd try for the tdi quattro, cheaper insurance, cheaper to run, cheaper to maintain, being your age once, i know you do not want to be spending cash too much and would rather go out with your mates

are you still waffling on about YOUR 50mpg car being fast ? everything is a competition with you !! you claimed to get 50mpg and that there was very little difference between your car and a tdi in terms of fuel consumption, you only have to looks over the posts to see this

No, if you look over my posts you see I say - "Every tuned 1.9TDI I have been in has given between 40 and 50MPG when on an A road at a reasonable speed. So I would say they aren't too far apart when modified. Standard, there is no contest."

A stage 1 FWD 1.8t will give +/-35mpg rolling along an A road at say 60mph, would you not say that a remapped 130 (if we are going with like for like sport models) diesel 1.9TDI would give about +/-45mpg at the same speeds?

I wouldn't say that 10MPG is a massive difference, especially when you equate the cost difference between petrol and diesel.

All the crap you gave me was pretty unjustified as far as I can see, because nothing I said was massively far off the mark.

Hi guys thanks for the help. Sorry Didn't expect to have you all boxing. Maybe i should have said I'm only 18
Check insurance out before you buy it. Oddly enough it was cheaper to insurance a TDI Quattro than any other TDI A3 except the 90hp. It was also cheaper than a 1.8t for insurance.

No, if you look over my posts you see I say - "Every tuned 1.9TDI I have been in has given between 40 and 50MPG when on an A road at a reasonable speed. So I would say they aren't too far apart when modified. Standard, there is no contest."

A stage 1 FWD 1.8t will give +/-35mpg rolling along an A road at say 60mph, would you not say that a remapped 130 (if we are going with like for like sport models) diesel 1.9TDI would give about +/-45mpg at the same speeds?

I wouldn't say that 10MPG is a massive difference, especially when you equate the cost difference between petrol and diesel.

All the crap you gave me was pretty unjustified as far as I can see, because nothing I said was massively far off the mark.

mapping a tdi improves fuel economy - at 60mph you'd get 55mpg to 60mpg in a mapped diesel

10 mpg is a huge difference and driving in town / a roads can see as much as a 20mpg difference, that can mean the difference between going out on the booze with your mates or not

Status
Not open for further replies.