1.8 tqs cambelt

KevM3

Reaction score
just bought a w reg 1.8 tqs need the belt changed anyone done on or is there a good tech write up anywhere , is it true that you have to take the front bumper off , any help will be aprediated , thanks

i done mine recently.

Took the whole front of the car off, bumper, lock carrier, radiator etc.

So much better access with all that out the way.

Took me about 4 hours, taking it easy.

I'd make some timing marks on the crank pulley itself before you remove the old belt, as Audis instructions tell you to use the anciliary drive pulley, which is a ****** nightmare as it has about 3/4 of a tooths worth of movement in it.

Mine had a centre punch mark on the pulley and on the rear housing, which i suspect has been done at a previous belt change.

Unless you do belt changes day in day out, and can do the belt with the front end in the lock carrier position, then remove the bumper & rad as above it's a dam sight easier. With all that removed you may also want to look at changing the water pump and thermostat, i know the pump is not driven off the cam belt, but it's a common failure items.

Change all the belts too while you're down there. I foolishly didn't replace the aging water pump belt then discovered it was squeeking like made after I put the car back together again. And definitely change the water pump and thermostat too.

i do them day in day out. just drop the front forward a few inches.

take the bumper off bob the grilles out either side of the bumper theres two allen key bolts going upwards. in the wheel arch theres there 25 troxs bits going into thru the wheel arch liner. on the front panel there two 30 torx bolts at either side and two on each side, theres also three 45 torx bolts on the passengers side and four on the drivers bolting the front panel onto the chassis legs. undo all these and the front panel will be able to come forwards. undo the tensioners for the aux belts, remove the pulley tensioner on the three 13mm bolts. theres a split pulley on three 6mm allen keys for the little water pump belt. take the aux drive belt pulley off the crank pulley (4x6mm allen keys). remove cambelt cover... clips on the top portion... 10mm bolts and a 5mm allen key for the bottom portion.
is this its first cambelt change? on early (aeb i think) engines theres a change in tensioner designs involving a modification in tensioner and damper unit system (quite simple unbolt/bolt on)...... dunno if yours is one of these?????????
time engine up using the mark on the cambelt pulley/edge of the rocker cover, get your tippex out and put your own mark on the crank pulley.... remove belt....... fit new parts and rebuild. reassembly is a reversal of removable procedure........

Its a TQS so it'll be the later belt from new.

I'd still recommend just pulling the front off. Its fine if you've done millions of them, are are doing it in a garage against the clock, but for your first time, its better having complete access to the front of the motor so you can see exactly whats going on.

and I have a brand new VAG roller for sale if you want to save some dollars!! :)