1.8 TFSI , Talk to me

MrSma

Reaction score
Well I'm currently looking at A3 and one of the models is a 1.8TSFI. I have a 1.9TDi Leon at the minute with 105bhp standard so I'm looking something just a step up from that. I have no idea of going for any crazy amount of power but I've heard these engines can be pretty fragile and theirs not much performance parts for them ? I was just thinking about going for a good map, air intake and a good exhaust system, as said I'm not looking mad power as it being 60 more standard than my leon would be enough but what power are people getting from their 1.8TSFIs

I got 217bhp with a map and nothing else, my engine was making 168bhp before the map was done

I got 217bhp with a map and nothing else, my engine was making 168bhp before the map was done

That's all I would want really, was it stable and fine ? Do you use it as a daily ?

Yeah it was fine, I only ran it for a few months with the map on and then bought a new car...but I had no issues at all with clutch slip or anything

Off the top of my head this engine is rated at 160BHP from factory, but is well known to make more...only ever driven it once but I won't forget how broad the torque curve was in a hurry.

Off the top of my head this engine is rated at 160BHP from factory, but is well known to make more...only ever driven it once but I won't forget how broad the torque curve was in a hurry.

Yeah heard that a lot about it being underrated by Audi. Going to hopefully get a test drive soon.

Mines standard at the moment I'm happy with what it gives out performance wise could always do with more but that's always the case.

Love mine. Currently running it standard with Super/high octane unleaded (making the most of it being cheap) and it seems to have bags of power.

Mines standard at the moment I'm happy with what it gives out performance wise could always do with more but that's always the case.

Love mine. Currently running it standard with Super/high octane unleaded (making the most of it being cheap) and it seems to have bags of power.

How long have you guys had them for ? Any problems ? What have you been keeping up with out of interest not that it's all that relevant

How long have you guys had them for ? Any problems ? What have you been keeping up with out of interest not that it's all that relevant
I've had mine since about November 2014, so just less than a year. in that time I've covered about 10,000 miles and had zero problems with the car or engine. I do have a minor coolant leak, however this takes months to go down to a point where i would consider topping it up.

Running cost wise, since owning i have had it served @ Audi and had two new front tyres (Eagle F1's @£80 each) other than that, nothing really. Just fuel. i actually got an average of 46 mpg on a trip to work the other day, and can regularly get in the 40's to the gallon.

Had it since July 2014 so just over a year brought from an Audi dealer
head gasket went in December (repaired under warranty) but considering it came from South London it must of been used and abused and I found a police spike in the tyre the next day as it kept going flat so I'm guessing wasn't really looked after but the car was immaculate.

Oil consumption is a major thing too as other members including myself have had issues with using far too much oil but mine now seems to be ok.
Since owning I've brought 4 new conti contact 5 tyres at £400 fitted and new pads front and back which cost £157 fitted, but roughly £35/40 squirt in every two weeks depending on driving style I'm recently driving to Portsmouth every weekend and back to London I only use a quarter of a tank so pretty good and fuel.

As for keeping up with others played with a few a45's not sure which engines they were but deffo not the amg, standard old style Ibiza cupras you've just got to give it a go and see what happens I've got the sportback which is abit heavier than the 3 door but still a quick motor

Last edited:
Had it since July 2014 so just over a year brought from an Audi dealer
head gasket went in December (repaired under warranty) but considering it came from South London it must of been used and abused and I found a police spike in the tyre the next day as it kept going flat so I'm guessing wasn't really looked after but the car was immaculate.

Oil consumption is a major thing too as other members including myself have had issues with using far too much oil but mine now seems to be ok.
Since owning I've brought 4 new conti contact 5 tyres at £400 fitted and new pads front and back which cost £157 fitted, but roughly £35/40 squirt in every two weeks depending on driving style I'm recently driving to Portsmouth every weekend and back to London I only use a quarter of a tank so pretty good and fuel.

As for keeping up with others played with a few a45's not sure which engines they were but deffo not the amg, standard old style Ibiza cupras you've just got to give it a go and see what happens I've got the sportback which is abit heavier than the 3 door but still a quick motor

Sounds like you just got a bad one to start with but if all's fine now then that's all good. I'm not sure if I should go for the 3 or 5 door coming from a Seat Leon it doesn't make a difference.

Sounds like you just got a bad one to start with but if all's fine now then that's all good. I'm not sure if I should go for the 3 or 5 door coming from a Seat Leon it doesn't make a difference.

Honestly, the A3 is the one hatchback that i reckon looks great in both 3 and 5 door. which i know doesn't help, but just pick on your needs.

Yeah just my luck, the 5 door for me as have kids and looks the best of the two I think but as Matt said pick on your needs mate

Just to bump this thread up, looked at the 2.0TFSI but as I'm only 19 the insurance difference was crazy so I'm on the look for a 1.8TFSI 3 door.

If you uprate a 1.8, the insurance is going to be a damn sight more than a stock 2.0 which already has 200bhp.
Some insurance companies do not even quote for a modified car, so again you are limited to choice of insurance companies.
When you are young bhp costs the young driver such as yourself, you have to bide your time until you are older.
Same thing when I was a teenager, mates had lots of dosh with GT & Lotus Cortinas but I was saddled with a 1.0 Anglia being on a 3 year apprenticeship.
Bit different now at my age, I can insure anything available at reasonable cost--and I've been through a few.

If you uprate a 1.8, the insurance is going to be a damn sight more than a stock 2.0 which already has 200bhp.
Some insurance companies do not even quote for a modified car, so again you are limited to choice of insurance companies.
When you are young bhp costs the young driver such as yourself, you have to bide your time until you are older.
Same thing when I was a teenager, mates had lots of dosh with GT & Lotus Cortinas but I was saddled with a 1.0 Anglia being on a 3 year apprenticeship.
Bit different now at my age, I can insure anything available at reasonable cost--and I've been through a few.

I've included the modifications to the 1.8 and it's still a good bit cheaper. My leons around 150BHP atm so it's not too bad. It's not like I'm a new driver though I've 2 years no claims, nearly 3 and 3 years of driving and my 4th car, yea it might not be much compared to older drivers but the 1.8 is only around 50bhp more than a Leon standard.