1.8 tfsi/2.0 tfsi/2.0 tdi?

Given the mileage you do a diesel wouldn't be any good to you and taking your age into consideration, if you can afford and insure a 2.0 TFSI then go for it if not the 1.8 TFSI, however either one has to be a Quattro.

is there much difference fuel economy wise between the 1.8 at 2.0? been speaking to my step dad and hes already said that 1.8 is no good as it would be too thirsty on petrol, so he thinks i should get a diesel, would the quattro be any harder to find on the 1.8?

I'm pretty sure that Quattro is only available on the 2.0T. How many miles are you doing p/a?

As I mentioned further up the thread, my mate has a 140 2.0tdi and because of the additional expense of diesel at the pumps and his lack of long motorway driving. We both end up spending around the same on fuel and I have an S3...so unless you do mega mileage it doesn't really matter too much about MPG.

Reactions: CHEZ
I'm pretty sure that Quattro is only available on the 2.0T. How many miles are you doing p/a?

As I mentioned further up the thread, my mate has a 140 2.0tdi and because of the additional expense of diesel at the pumps and his lack of long motorway driving. We both end up spending around the same on fuel and I have an S3...so unless you do mega mileage it doesn't really matter too much about MPG.

oh so if i was to get a 1.8, quattro isnt available? and i do roughly 7000 a year

oh so if i was to get a 1.8, quattro isnt available? and i do roughly 7000 a year

It's only just been released, so only if you where going to get a brand spanking new one. Thought about a 2.0 TDI 140 Quattro? I've got a FWD and it returns 40 MPG easily on short journeys and 55-60MPG on the motorway. Might be slightly different for a Quattro.

oh okay :) and tbh i have considered diesels but i didnt know whether it was really worth it due to i dont do much in the way of mileage

oh okay :) and tbh i have considered diesels but i didnt know whether it was really worth it due to i dont do much in the way of mileage

I don't drive much as I live at work, however when I come home at the weekends I do 120 miles just to get home and back to work. Serves me well when I need the MPG, don't get me wrong I do think of getting an S3 however I wouldn't want to drive it long distance across the country which I have done in my TDI.

quattro is not a must i don't think, its just nice if you can find one with it.

*thread invasion*
but, going from a 140 A4 tdi to a 2.0 tfsi a5, because of the low miles i rack up, the a5 is more fuel efficient pound for pound!
just saying........
as you were! :moa:

Reactions: stetheo
Out of those three engines the 2.0T is always going to be the "best" or potentially the best.

Too many times have I settled for or convinced myself not to go for the top engine of a range/model, and I've always ended up regretting it.

If you can afford it (including running costs) then 10000% go for the 2.0T so you massively reduce the chances of the day coming when another A3 pulls up next to you at a red light and then blows you away when it turns green.

Reactions: voorhees
Out of those three engines the 2.0T is always going to be the "best" or potentially the best.

Too many times have I settled for or convinced myself not to go for the top engine of a range/model, and I've always ended up regretting it.

If you can afford it (including running costs) then 10000% go for the 2.0T so you massively reduce the chances of the day coming when another A3 pulls up next to you at a red light and then blows you away when it turns green.

i wish i could afford the 2.0 :( but i really dont think i can, would the 1.8 be second best to that?

The 2.0T should easily be within your 7k budget, I bought mine 4 years ago and it was only 9k.

The 2.0T should easily be within your 7k budget, I bought mine 4 years ago and it was only 9k.

its not the car i wont be able to afford, its the running costs atm, over time i could just not straight away, it would be something i worked up too, like that conversion system ive just put a link up to, if that was possible with a 1.8, id wait until i could afford to do that and i would.

Stick with the petrol engine young man, a lot less bother for you, modern dervs are not that efficient on short journeys. Deciding on a car a year early is way too soon.

Stick with the petrol engine young man, a lot less bother for you, modern dervs are not that efficient on short journeys. Deciding on a car a year early is way too soon.

I decided on an audi in feb, and bought in august so 6 months max maybe :p

If you are considering modding your car, that will increase running costs which you need to consider.

I'm pretty sure the running costs between a 1.8T and 2.0T will be minor really and the 2.0T is a stronger starting position.

I do 6 miles to work with my tdi, it gets upto temperature, gets driven like it's stolen, and still returns 50-60mpg on my morning commute. It does around 400 miles every two weeks and that's roughly £70 of fuel.

From research, S3's do roughly 280 miles to £80 of fuel. So technically you'd need £130 of petrol to do the same miles that I do to £70.

I also gave it the drive of its life the other day to clear it out a bit, still achieved 28mpg. You'd struggle to get that driving like a saint in a petrol.

Reactions: Ironborn and articuno88
I do 6 miles to work with my tdi, it gets upto temperature, gets driven like it's stolen, and still returns 50-60mpg on my morning commute. It does around 400 miles every two weeks and that's roughly £70 of fuel.

From research, S3's do roughly 280 miles to £80 of fuel. So technically you'd need £130 of petrol to do the same miles that I do to £70.

I also gave it the drive of its life the other day to clear it out a bit, still achieved 28mpg. You'd struggle to get that driving like a saint in a petrol.

so, your car is hammered and flogged, driven hard, and tired?
congratulations! :lmfao:

It doesn't take me £80 to fill my tank it's about £60-66 and for that I get 320 miles. I've had a diesel 170 and they are good cars I'm not denying it but IMO petrol is a better if you do short journeys and a more fun car to drive. This judgement is based on me owning my diesel when doing 120 mile commute and a 5 mile commute, then comparing to the petrol I currently own.

Also the OP is talking about a 2.0T not an S3 so I would expect this to be better again.

so, your car is hammered and flogged, driven hard, and tired?
congratulations! :lmfao:

It's a tdi, doesn't matter how much abuse it gets, it'll last forever.

My previous 1.8T was driven like a saint, and spent most of its life broken.

Doesn't matter how hard an engine is pushed, just has to be serviced more often.

Reactions: Jonathaan
I was in the exact same shoes as you, this same time last year... I bought a A3 2.0TDI 170 and it's been remapped to around 200...

Whilst I love the car, the quality cabin and drive, it just lacks "fizz". The power and torque comes in at around 1.8k but then disappears as quickly as it comes, making you change gear. So basically, as it tethers on being fun, it just stops short. If it was a girl, it'd be the biggest cocktease going.

If I did less miles a year, I'd get the TFSI engine but whether its the 1.8 or 2.0, you'll still love it!

Reactions: CHEZ and sean.smithy

I agree with you mate, you have a non dpf engine like mine, makes a big difference. I was referring to the newer dpf cars.

I was in the exact same shoes as you, this same time last year... I bought a A3 2.0TDI 170 and it's been remapped to around 200...

Whilst I love the car, the quality cabin and drive, it just lacks "fizz". The power and torque comes in at around 1.8k but then disappears as quickly as it comes, making you change gear. So basically, as it tethers on being fun, it just stops short. If it was a girl, it'd be the biggest cocktease going.

If I did less miles a year, I'd get the TFSI engine but whether its the 1.8 or 2.0, you'll still love it!

Yep this is exactly what i was getting at, there is loads of torque low down but it soon disappears.

OP - Just drive all three and see which one you prefer would be my advice.

thought i should give my 2 pennies on this one. I came from a 1.6 BMW 1 series. I bought the 2.0tdi 140 which has a stage 1 remap when i was 22. HUGE difference even from the BMW. I prefer everything about the Audi. The diesel is not a slow car let me tell you and is fun to drive. My mate has the 2.0tfsi and I can keep up with him no problem. That being said the moment I have been dreading for quite some time happened the other day. S3 pulled up behind me and had a bit of a race haha needless to say he beat me and my face has been tripping me ever since :( I had managed to put myself off actually buying the S3 recently as I test drove one in DSG form and I wasnt THAT impressed with it for the extra money I would have to pay to have one. Maybe I was expecting too much from the car as I had wanted one for so long. I have since drove a stage 1 S3 manual and LOVED it. Getting the 8v S3 for the weekend on Saturday so looking forward to seeing how I get on with that. In conclusion I would say the TDI is a great interim car until you have the money for the S3 if that is what you eventually want to do when you get to that time. The only way to decide is to test drive each variation of engines to see what floats your boat.

Reactions: smurfworth
The 1.8 is much better on fuel I average 35-37mpg on day to day shortish trips my commute is only 9miles. On a run I can see 50mpg sitting at 65mph, anyone with a 2.0 prior to 2009 and they will admit they aren't the greatest on fuel. The only reason I would go with a 2.0 is for quattro but it would have aftee 2009 with the updated engine as its more fuel efficient and more reliable. For your budget I would say there is only 2 cars in the running, that would be the 2.0 diesel 170 as in standard form the are great but there are quite a few horror stories buzzing about. The other is the 1.8, newest engine out of the three, good tuning capabilities and decent on fuel tax and insurance.

Reactions: sean.smithy
Buy a corsa and put the rest towards saving for a house young man.

Sell the house in 5 years time and buy an R8 with the profit.

Reactions: sean.smithy and CHEZ
If you are considering modding your car, that will increase running costs which you need to consider.

I'm pretty sure the running costs between a 1.8T and 2.0T will be minor really and the 2.0T is a stronger starting position.

yeah i do understand what your saying, id only mod it over time, i wouldnt do it straight away, so the 1.8 would be fast enough and still have decent fuel economy as a starting point and i can build up to something like an S3 when im older and when i can afford it :)

Reactions: stetheo
For your budget I would say there is only 2 cars in the running, that would be the 2.0 diesel 170 as in standard form the are great but there are quite a few horror stories buzzing about. The other is the 1.8, newest engine out of the three, good tuning capabilities and decent on fuel tax and insurance.

thats kinda all i need to hear :p id like stay away from a diesel if i could, just because id prefer a petrol, im definately leaning towards the 1.8

Yeah the 1.8 sounds like it could be the best choice!

If it helps, I've recently turned 21, the insurance for my car is 1.6k (had to do a LOT of grafting, average quote was 2-3k), just make sure you don't get points!
I got points within a week of having my new motor (running a yellow/red) and once I notified my insurance they tried to push my insurance up too 4k. I then had to do a lot of searching to get it down. It sounds weird but insurance quotes are quite dependant to the time of month, at the beginning of the month they seemed to be cheapest - probably something to do with quotas insurances have to fill.

Yeah the 1.8 sounds like it could be the best choice!

If it helps, I've recently turned 21, the insurance for my car is 1.6k (had to do a LOT of grafting, average quote was 2-3k), just make sure you don't get points!
I got points within a week of having my new motor (running a yellow/red) and once I notified my insurance they tried to push my insurance up too 4k. I then had to do a lot of searching to get it down. It sounds weird but insurance quotes are quite dependant to the time of month, at the beginning of the month they seemed to be cheapest - probably something to do with quotas insurances have to fill.

so what car have you got? and going from what everyone has said, the 1.8 is the ones that seems to stand out to me and awh no i havent got any points, i want it to stay that way :)

so what car have you got? and going from what everyone has said, the 1.8 is the ones that seems to stand out to me and awh no i havent got any points, i want it to stay that way :)

I've got the A3 2.0TDI 170 Quattro sportback. It's cost me a ****** fortune in repairs! Good job I took out warrantydirect, they've softened the blow a little bit.

Haha, yeah definitely try and keep it that way!

I've got the A3 2.0TDI 170 Quattro sportback. It's cost me a ****** fortune in repairs! Good job I took out warrantydirect, they've softened the blow a little bit.

Haha, yeah definitely try and keep it that way!

oh, if you dont mind me asking, have they been like diesel related repairs or just general ones? just trying to work out whether i am making the right decision with the 1.8, id rather have a petrol but id just like to make sure

oh, if you dont mind me asking, have they been like diesel related repairs or just general ones? just trying to work out whether i am making the right decision with the 1.8, id rather have a petrol but id just like to make sure

Well not 100% sure as I have nothing to compare it against, I'd say anything that could go wrong with the car, has gone wrong.
Quick overview: Clutch, gearbox rebuild, Flywheel, turbo, propshaft.

I've not had the car a year yet!

Well not 100% sure as I have nothing to compare it against, I'd say anything that could go wrong with the car, has gone wrong.
Quick overview: Clutch, gearbox rebuild, Flywheel, turbo, propshaft.

I've not had the car a year yet!

oh wow! couldnt be more expensive then, how much did it all cost to repair?

oh wow! couldnt be more expensive then, how much did it all cost to repair?

For those, labour + parts: 4k.

This isn't including all the extra stuff like, brakes, tyres, remap, misc items, servicing etc!

what is the rev range on the 1.8 tfsi? just curious :p
7.2krpm

photo_1.png