1.8 tfsi/2.0 tfsi/2.0 tdi?

7.2krpm

photo_1.png

so why is the redline there if you can go past it?

And apparently I own a "tired car".

Mines never even been in the red zone. Asking for trouble doing that.

what do you mean you own a tired car? and whats asking for trouble? sorry for the silly guestions

what do you mean you own a tired car? and whats asking for trouble? sorry for the silly guestions

no idea, im guessing he owns a diesel.

Diesels you're not supposed to rev them high as they are made for commuting up and down motorways, thus if you start boucing off the limiter it will most likely damage the engine very quickly, hence tired.

Redline is at 7,2, the speedo doesn't dictate it, infact with mapping you can have it adjusted upto 7500rpm if you like, you need to get some serious engine work done to raise the revs higher.

no idea, im guessing he owns a diesel.

Diesels you're not supposed to rev them high as they are made for commuting up and down motorways, thus if you start boucing off the limiter it will most likely damage the engine very quickly, hence tired.

Redline is at 7,2, the speedo doesn't dictate it, infact with mapping you can have it adjusted upto 7500rpm if you like, you need to get some serious engine work done to raise the revs higher.

Oh right I understand now, well I shall be getting the 1.8 ss tbh, to me petrols seem more fun and also I like the sound of a 7.2k redline, doubt I'll even use it that much but I know it's there when I want it to be ;)

Don't go for diesel cars... you may think it would workout cheaper in terms of running cost... but if only 1 and only 1 issue occurs then you're done! Then you be spending hell of a lot to repair...

Petrol cars are simpler to be REPAIRED and TBH both petrol and diesel cars would pretty much cost the same to run, it's NOT about running but maintenance and other stuff...

IMO go for 1.8 TFSI with NOT more than 80k mileage and NO more than 2 owners from NEW, look for FSH and obviously take a mechanic with you...

I had 1.8 TFSI with 102k on the clock and was still running perfect...

Create a spreadsheet on Google Drive and calculate all the costs that would involve, from running cost to maintenance, road tax, insurance and possible repair costs... see which one would become cheaper!

But I'm telling you stay away from diesel cars, if you have a look on this forum you'll see the number of issues on diesel cars are twice as much...

Now up to you, hope it helps

Don't go for diesel cars... you may think it would workout cheaper in terms of running cost... but if only 1 and only 1 issue occurs then you're done! Then you be spending hell of a lot to repair...

Petrol cars are simpler to be REPAIRED and TBH both petrol and diesel cars would pretty much cost the same to run, it's NOT about running but maintenance and other stuff...

IMO go for 1.8 TFSI with NOT more than 80k mileage and NO more than 2 owners from NEW, look for FSH and obviously take a mechanic with you...

Create a spreadsheet on Google Drive and calculate all the costs that would involve, from running cost to maintenance, road tax, insurance and possible repair costs... see which one would become cheaper!

But I'm telling you stay away from diesel cars, if you have a look on this forum you'll see the number of issues on diesel cars are twice as much...

That really did help :) thank you, it was very in depth and very helpful, ive got my heart set on the 1.8 tbh, to me, it just seems to be the best one for me.

I wouldnt have gone above that dont worry, id like to try and get as little mileage and as little owners from new as possible.

The 1.8 it will be but if you dont mind me asking, whats FSH?

Oh right I understand now, well I shall be getting the 1.8 ss tbh, to me petrols seem more fun and also I like the sound of a 7.2k redline, doubt I'll even use it that much but I know it's there when I want it to be ;)

How about a 9000k red line

vtek.png

That was one very bias review. Think you're forgetting that maintaining a petrol is more expensive than a diesel, a petrol has spark plugs, coil packs and HT leads and filter and oil to replace on services when a diesel just has oil and filter changes and a glow plug replacement when they need doing. With the exception of belts.

nevermind haha i was being stupid, i know what fsh stands for now :p

I knew you were kidding :yahoo:

That was one very bias review. Think you're forgetting that maintaining a petrol is more expensive than a diesel, a petrol has spark plugs, coil packs and HT leads and filter and oil to replace on services when a diesel just has oil and filter changes and a glow plug replacement when they need doing. With the exception of belts.

I respect your opinion but IMO diesel cars are hell complicated than petrol cars... no matter whether it's an Audi's or BM's or Mercedes'... it's a fact and I'm telling from what I've seen and what I personally experienced! Diesel cars are usually struggling with their turbos, they're in fact sluggish... more torque than what you really need but what's the point as they're damn slow...

Both Petrol and diesel cars have costs involved, more or less pretty much the same but the fact it's which one you would pick and why! You pick a diesel car to save money or what... of course saving fuel money, but most of the people are in fact spending more time in garage trying to fix problems!

Or did you pick diesel car for its torque...

On the other hand people tend to pick petrol cars for its simplicity, it's tuneability/capability and of course enjoying every second of driving it...

Again I'm NOT trying to be disrespectful to those having diesel cars (NO OFFENSE) and only trying to be helpful as much as I could, and again all of these factors are all dependent on what type of car it is, what sort of mileage it has covered, ever been serviced on time, was it driven sensibly or what...

Hope you all had a good weekend :)

I was only kidding, I'm kinda new to all the abbreviated terms :p got there in the end though haha

Well I've never really had a diesel, so I myself would be a bit reluctant to get one, my step dads Mercedes was forever in the garage and tbh I don't want that. I know there's a chance of that happening really with any car but I would rather stick to a petrol as I'm used to them.

I did have a good weekend thank you, I hope you all have too :)

I knew you were kidding :yahoo:

I respect your opinion but IMO diesel cars are hell complicated than petrol cars... no matter whether it's an Audi's or BM's or Mercedes'... it's a fact and I'm telling from what I've seen and what I personally experienced! Diesel cars are usually struggling with their turbos, they're in fact sluggish... more torque than what you really need but what's the point as they're damn slow...

Both Petrol and diesel cars have costs involved, more or less pretty much the same but the fact it's which one you would pick and why! You pick a diesel car to save money or what... of course saving fuel money, but most of the people are in fact spending more time in garage trying to fix problems!

Or did you pick diesel car for its torque...

On the other hand people tend to pick petrol cars for its simplicity, it's tuneability/capability and of course enjoying every second of driving it...

Again I'm NOT trying to be disrespectful to those having diesel cars (NO OFFENSE) and only trying to be helpful as much as I could, and again all of these factors are all dependent on what type of car it is, what sort of mileage it has covered, ever been serviced on time, was it driven sensibly or what...

Hope you all had a good weekend :)

Stick to your day job, and I hope it's not anything to do with writing reviews.

I'm a mechanic in the Army and deal with mainly diesel engines, the engines in the Land Rovers can be run on chip fat oil, tell me what is complicated?

As for diesels being sluggish, again you clearly have no knowledge in both fields, my 2.0 TDI 140 level pegs with my mates 1.8T 225 Quattro TT and on the motorway I can pull away in the higher gears due to the petrol lacking in torque. A decent diesel engine feels quicker because you feel the torque pushing you into the seat, petrols not so much because of the rev range.

I chose a diesel because of the miles I do, 55-65 MPG, £125 a year to tax, cheaper insurance. No brainer for a 22 year old.

As for spending more time in a garage fixing problems rather than saving on fuel money, go have a word with yourself.

I've just simply refused to comment anymore due to the amount of BS in this thread. Far too many people who know hardly anything giving out advise.

Come on, what sort of idiot writes this stuff ^^

The fact is, diesels are simply better.

What do ships use? Diesels. What do trains use? Diesels. What do lorrys use? Diesels. What do tractors use? Diesels.

What can diesels run on? Oil, chip fat, bio fuels, water mix.

I went to Poole and back this weekend, doing a mix of 80 - 95 and managed to average 62mpg and a total cost of £29 in fuel. That's 300 miles, didn't miss a beat. And quite frankly if you think diesels are sluggish you've obviously never ever felt the kick of a turbo spooling at 34psi before.

I've experienced both, my petrol was a nightmare and was costing near enough 1k a month on repairs, the diesel, apart from a turbo covered under WARRANTY no issues at all.

My advise, whatever you buy, get a good warranty, you'll probably need it at least once.

Stick to your day job, and I hope it's not anything to do with writing reviews.

I'm a mechanic in the Army and deal with mainly diesel engines, the engines in the Land Rovers can be run on chip fat oil, tell me what is complicated?

As for diesels being sluggish, again you clearly have no knowledge in both fields, my 2.0 TDI 140 level pegs with my mates 1.8T 225 Quattro TT and on the motorway I can pull away in the higher gears due to the petrol lacking in torque. A decent diesel engine feels quicker because you feel the torque pushing you into the seat, petrols not so much because of the rev range.

I chose a diesel because of the miles I do, 55-65 MPG, £125 a year to tax, cheaper insurance. No brainer for a 22 year old.

As for spending more time in a garage fixing problems rather than saving on fuel money, go have a word with yourself.

You're seriously disrespectful and don't clearly know the meaning of personal opinion nor personal experience!

You also clearly don't know the meaning of complicated engines! Who am I talking to!

Did I say from mechanics perspectives or owners themselves, so now you tell me who needs to have a word with themselves! Honestly sick if such people! Such haters that you see on every forum!

We are here to give personal opinions on what we have experience as owners perspectives and NOT mechanics! We are here to help unlike some people...

I've just simply refused to comment anymore due to the amount of BS in this thread. Far too many people who know hardly anything giving out advise.

Come on, what sort of idiot writes this stuff ^^

What do ships use? Diesels. What do trains use? Diesels. What do lorrys use? Diesels. What do tractors use? Diesels.

What can diesels run on? Oil, chip fat, bio fuels, water mix.

I've experienced both, my petrol was a nightmare and was costing near enough 1k a month on repairs, the diesel, apart from a turbo covered under WARRANTY no issues at all.

My advise, whatever you buy, get a good warranty, you'll probably need it at least once.

Haha, you really are joking surely? Try running a modern TDI as the OP is considering on chip fat as you say. The OP doesn't want a tractor (good engines for farm work, low revs, built for torque) or a lorry engine or strangely a train or a boat, you really cannot compare in any sensible discussion to a modern turbo diesel car engine, even if the 'examples' you quote are forced induction they are VERY different in design and build, clocking up many times more miles at very low stress levels.

Haha, you really are joking surely? Try running a modern TDI as the OP is considering on chip fat as you say. The OP doesn't want a tractor (good engines for farm work, low revs, built for torque) or a lorry engine or strangely a train or a boat, you really cannot compare in any sensible discussion to a modern turbo diesel car engine, even if the 'examples' you quote are forced induction they are VERY different in design and build, clocking up many times more miles at very low stress levels.

If you cleaned injectors more frequently and changed fuel filters more frequently than the manufacturer suggested I bet it would run fine.

They aren't really different in design and build, they are all built the same, and if you look at the big picture put under a lot more strain than you'd think. However, going way off topic now so I'm gonna stop there.

If you cleaned injectors more frequently and changed fuel filters more frequently than the manufacturer suggested I bet it would run fine.

They aren't really different in design and build, they are all built the same, and if you look at the big picture put under a lot more strain than you'd think. However, going way off topic now so I'm gonna stop there.
You REALLY don't understand the topic do you.

They ARE designed and built differently
They are NOT all built the same
Cleaning injectors and filters will NOT save your modern car engine if run on chip fat, to anyone reading this DO NOT do this.
Diesel does more than be 'just fuel'

"....so I'm gonna stop there...." Good idea before someone actually believes/acts on you knowledge.

Please consider other people.

Reactions: sliced
i dont want any arguments :) whether people have disagreed or agreed, either way, to me as im not very car minded it has been helpful :) all of you :)

Reactions: sliced