1.6 tdi vs 2.0 tdi real world mpg

seadoo180

Reaction score
Had my new 2.0 tdi s tronic for a couple of weeks now, re all impressed. Wondering if there's much difference in real world mpg between the two diesels. Mines no where near the average official combined on a pure motorway run I'm getting low 50's at 70-75 cars nowhere near run in though it guess. Interested in what other tdi owners are getting on a cruise and how the 1.6 compares...

I can live with that as it's significantly better than the m 135 I had before which was a big part of swapping and going auto. On that point does the s tronic harm mpg much over the manual?

I have a 2.0tdi sportback 8V sport and on 3 mile cold start journeys to pick my kids up I get about 40-45mpg (38mpg with traffic). On long journeys I have had as high as 61mpg, but I get around 57mpg with four of us in the car taking it steady. Expect low 50's at 70mph. My car has done 8000 miles.

We have a 1.6tdi Golf Mk VII which is the same engine and set up as the A3 1.6tdi and that is about 4mpg better around town and I have got up to 66mpg with four up in that on a 90 mile journey back from Dorset at 65mph. So again about 4-5mpg better than the 2 litre diesel. However, the 2.0tdi is so much more effortless to drive. It has loads more torque. I am forever changing gear in the 1.6tdi, which on the Golf has a wide spaced five speed gearbox. I think the 1.6 TDI Audi has six speed so the gearing ratios may not be as wide spaced and ridiculously high. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
2.0TDI 48 mpg long term average after 5000 miles mixed driving ranging from 20 mile crawl round London to 10 mile dual carriageway commute through to 200 mile trek into France.

I could get much more if i drove it like an angel but always drive her pretty hard

I've done 17k miles in my 2.0tdi and have averaged 49.7mpg on DIS. Mixed driving, engine always in dynamic mode. That's with about 50kgs of work stuff in the boot.

Not checked the actual mpg as I use a company fuel card, so never had the need to check.

2.0TDI 48 mpg long term average after 5000 miles mixed driving ranging from 20 mile crawl round London to 10 mile dual carriageway commute through to 200 mile trek into France.

I could get much more if i drove it like an angel but always drive her pretty hard

That's pretty good if you drive hard. Maybe mine's still has some running in to do as getting as low as 40mpg is easy when using my right foot heavily. How many miles has your 2.0tdi done?

I have a 2.0tdi sportback 8V sport and on 3 mile cold start journeys to pick my kids up I get about 40-45mpg (38mpg with traffic). On long journeys I have had as high as 61mpg, but I get around 57mpg with four of us in the car taking it steady. Expect low 50's at 70mph. My car has done 8000 miles.

We have a 1.6tdi Golf Mk VII which is the same engine and set up as the A3 1.6tdi and that is about 4mpg better around town and I have got up to 66mpg with four up in that on a 90 mile journey back from Dorset at 65mph. So again about 4-5mpg better than the 2 litre diesel. However, the 2.0tdi is so much more effortless to drive. It has loads more torque. I am forever changing gear in the 1.6tdi, which on the Golf has a wide spaced five speed gearbox. I think the 1.6 TDI Audi has six speed so the gearing ratios may not be as wide spaced and ridiculously high. Hope that helps.
IIRC the official combined figures for the 1.6L vs 2.0L TDI are...

Manual - 67mpg vs 74mpg. So officially a 7mpg difference.

S-tronic - 62mpg vs 72mpg. So officially a 10mpg difference.

The 1.6L has the 7 speed auto vs the 6 speed in the 2.0L.

That's pretty good if you drive hard. Maybe mine's still has some running in to do as getting as low as 40mpg is easy when using my right foot heavily. How many miles has your 2.0tdi done?

A touch under 5000 miles and have had a pretty consistent MPG since new, that said I have ramped up how I drive it gradually over the first £3500 miles and pretty much keep it in dynamic mode constantly now.

I've got the 1.6 TDI S-Line S-Tronic. After 1700 miles, driving on quiet roads around town, and sub urban driving over Derbyshire, I'm generally getting between 52 and 62 MPG depending on traffic.

I think I got similar MPG from my 2.0 TDI 8P on the same routes. I'm hoping that once the car has done more miles, and once the weather warms up a little, I might see a little better MPG.

That is all with the DIS set to auto and trying to driving quite carefully and economically.

Interesting that the official figures show the 7 speed making a noticeable difference to the 6 speed in the 2.0.

Real world the gap doesn't appear to as big

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm guessing in the future the s tronic with more cogs will be fitted to the higher torque engines? Bmw now have 8 spd boxes across the range

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm guessing in the future the s tronic with more cogs will be fitted to the higher torque engines? Bmw now have 8 spd boxes across the range
Pity the 1 series is fugly! Though the 2 series does look promising.

Well, the 8speed box in the bmws is a traditional auto with torque converter etc etc, just a really great one.

From what I know the 7 speed dsg box is a little different internally and has been designed for lower power applications. (Dry clutch plates vs oil bathed etc).

I have the A1 1.6tdi and the A3 2 litre both S L-Line both cars return the same MPG depending on the way you drive them, you can get he 60MPG but that is at low speeds and gear selection then you can have 30 MPG when having fun. So basically the engines are well sted to the cars.

From what I know the 7 speed dsg box is a little different internally and has been designed for lower power applications. (Dry clutch plates vs oil bathed etc).

This is the main difference - the dry plate clutch is more efficient as it doesn't require an oil pump which sucks power, but has limited torque handling. Hence why the 2.0 TDI and S3 have the 6-speed version.