1.6 FSI Engine Rattle on cold start

Rosen Dimov

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I recently bought an A3 Sportback and as I was buying it the owner said the engine rattles on a cold start. His father works in a car repair service and he said it isn't something bad. The guy drove the car and didn't see any problems with it, only the rattle on a cold start.

I saw a thread here about the 1.4 TFSI, but I don't know how similar the engines are so I wanted to start a thread on my own.

So I bought it, my father told me it isn't a big thing either but I read online about the timing chains being problematic and started worrying.
How can I know for sure it is the timing chain? The car has good 170 000km and it hasn't been changed. I still haven't driven with it, but next week I will be able to use it and try to gather some more information.

This happens only on a cold start. After that the engine rattles quietly. I changed the oil ( recommended oil from Audi ) and my father says I just have to drive a little bit so the oil starts running better. My father says this probably comes from the hydrotappers/hydraulic valve lifters ( sorry if it isn't right, im not that good with english car part names ). The guy hasn't changed the oil in quite some time I think, since it was really black and I think that could be the problem with the noises. So if the car gets good oil the noises should disappear (I think)

I'm getting really worried since I don't know what this is and if the timing chain breaks my engine is going to say goodbye.

I am going to gather more information, I could post a video with the sound if that is going to help.

We still bought a timing chain and we're going to try and change it alone. But if the problem isn't the chain we are just going to postpone it until we can find somebody who does it for less money.

Sorry if it's a dumb question guys, I'm new to cars but I find it really interesting. It's also my first car I have to take care of.

Thanks.

Hey guys,
So I recently bought an A3 Sportback and as I was buying it the owner said the engine rattles on a cold start. His father works in a car repair service and he said it isn't something bad. The guy drove the car and didn't see any problems with it, only the rattle on a cold start.

I saw a thread here about the 1.4 TFSI, but I don't know how similar the engines are so I wanted to start a thread on my own.

So I bought it, my father told me it isn't a big thing either but I read online about the timing chains being problematic and started worrying.
How can I know for sure it is the timing chain? The car has good 170 000km and it hasn't been changed. I still haven't driven with it, but next week I will be able to use it and try to gather some more information.

This happens only on a cold start. After that the engine rattles quietly. I changed the oil ( recommended oil from Audi ) and my father says I just have to drive a little bit so the oil starts running better. My father says this probably comes from the hydrotappers/hydraulic valve lifters ( sorry if it isn't right, im not that good with english car part names ). The guy hasn't changed the oil in quite some time I think, since it was really black and I think that could be the problem with the noises. So if the car gets good oil the noises should disappear (I think)

I'm getting really worried since I don't know what this is and if the timing chain breaks my engine is going to say goodbye.

I am going to gather more information, I could post a video with the sound if that is going to help.

We still bought a timing chain and we're going to try and change it alone. But if the problem isn't the chain we are just going to postpone it until we can find somebody who does it for less money.

Sorry if it's a dumb question guys, I'm new to cars but I find it really interesting. It's also my first car I have to take care of.

Thanks.
To be on the safe side. You mention you don't think the chain has been changed I would change it a d at least it's one big thing you dont have to worry about

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rosen Dimov
Do you park with the handbrake on or do you simply put it in first gear?

I had a 1.6FSI too, first A3 I had. The problem I has was the same, timing chain rattled a bit. It stopped after I parked it on handbrake instead of first gear. My garageowner told me that when it's put in gear oil couldn't leave a part of the engine making the chain "dry" or something like that. I'm not into mechanical issues but it solved it for me, maybe worth a shot :).

Rattle @ cold start most common problem is a loose timing chain. If it doesn't stop after the solution above let it check by a thirth party!

It is always on handbrake only sadly.
I'm currently thinking about changing the timing chain myself with my father or going to a service.
Best case it's going to be something oil related and it wouldn't be a problem, but worst case, if it is the timing chain, I shouldn't drive with it at all right?

I would suspect the timing chain tensioner, so change the chain and the tensioner. And any and all belts too.

It is always on handbrake only sadly.
I'm currently thinking about changing the timing chain myself with my father or going to a service.
Best case it's going to be something oil related and it wouldn't be a problem, but worst case, if it is the timing chain, I shouldn't drive with it at all right?
Well depends on how much it rattles etc. Best is not to ofcourse but if it rattles a lilttle bit it won't hurt to drive. Best is to replace the chain, tensioners and rollers (they prob come as a set).

Good luck mate! 1.6FSI is a strong engine!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 with Tapatalk

Hm okay.
I don't think it rattles that much but I'm going to try to drive it as little as possible.

I already ordered a new timing chain set (with tensioners) and I'll order a new camshaft adjuster, just in case.
If I'm going to open up so much I might aswell change as much as I can. It's gonna be a real pain replacing it though.

I'm going to keep you updated if the rattling sound goes away.

Thanks for the replies.

Reactions: henkkeumus
Hey guys,
A little update.

So I've opened the engine and saw the timing chain and everything around it.
In my opinion, it looks okay. The only thing I suspect being bad is the timing chain (not the camshaft adjuster and such).
I have bought a camshaft adjuster but it is expensive, so I thought if mine is okay, I could send the one I bought back and get my money. If it doesn't really need to be exchanged I would let it be, since 300 euro is alot.

The other problem is the chain sprocket. I really can't tell if it needs to be changed or not. I will attach some photos and you can hopefully let me know what you think about it. I found only one online, for 30 euro, but it looks really cheap to me. I'm going to call an Audi workshop tomorrow and ask how much it's going to cost there.

So the only thing I am asking is if I really have to change the camshaft adjuster (is there a way to prove if it needs to be replaced) and if I have to replace the chain sprocket too.

Thanks guys.

Attachments

• Chain Sprocket 1.jpeg
    Chain Sprocket 1.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 254
  • Chain Sprocket 2.jpeg
    Chain Sprocket 2.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Camshaft group.jpeg
    Camshaft group.jpeg
    297.3 KB · Views: 192
So what was outcome? does rattle went away or not. You should update on this