1.5 TFSI Engine Software Update

dnzbdr

Reaction score
I have been struggling to make my A3 1.5 150Hp smoother for almost 2 years.
- Shifts from 1st to 2nd very jerky at D mode,
- Accelerator pedal very responsive to pedal movements and uncomfortable at D mode as well,
- Not smooth take offs and hoppy movements, etc.

First my clutch pack replaced, then mechatronics and after a bit the transmission itself had replaced with a new one. The problem was there still, nobody from the dealer understood the case.

Then, I found 1.5 Karoq owners are suffering a thing called 'Kangarooing'. Exactly the same symptoms. Since manual owners have it too, figured out the problem is the engine. Skoda now releasing new softwares and owners saying the problem is gone and the engine is smooth as it should be from the very beginning.

2 weeks ago I was in Ingolstadt for a business trip and went to Audi AG. Tried to talk with somebody from technical side but unfortunately all I can get was an e-mail address for international customers. From Turkey by the way. Then went to Ingolstadt Audi showroom and talked with a service guy. He acknowledged the problem related with the engine, saying that some other customers complain about it too and it is a fact that engine is not running smoothly. Audi is working on it he said.

Then I sent an e-mail to the address I got from Audi Forum, explaining the history. Last week somebody from Audi Turkey called. Audi AG informed them about the case and Audi AG just wanted to let me know that they are working on the problem and a software update will probably come in September.

Just wanted to share this with you guys. Maybe someone else has a story to tell here.

September!
I waited months for an Audi "software update" to fix starting issues with my old 1.8 - it didn't.

I have come over to Audi from Skoda Yeti ownership. One reason I went with an A3 was the kangarooing problem of the [first choice] Karoq. Also the A3 was cheaper and available a LOT sooner.
I am pleased to say I have experienced no issues with my 1.5 petrol.

Colin

I had exactly this problem with my A3 2018 1.5 petrol. Family telling me I wasn’t using enough revs, or just being fussy. Luckily the Audi dealer took me seriously and diagnosed the fault. Had the software update done today and can honestly say it’s like a new car.

When I asked for details on the fix they said a valve was being hesitant on a light throttle, not knowing if it should be in or out. It’s now doing as it should.

Can recommend anyone else having chugging/kangarooing on that engine to talk to the dealer.

I got a 19 plate 1.5tfsi manual as a courtesy car when my 1.4tfsi stronic was in at Audi. I thought maybe i have forgotten how to drive as i was kangeroo bopping all over the place, even the mrs was like, have you forgotten how to drive a manual? very jerky. I was glad to get back in my smooth 1.4 :)

Finally, after 2 years of waiting and struggling, my 2017 October sportback A3 1.5 tfsi s-tronic will have an update.

I was informed today that Audi AG confirmed the software update TPI. I dont know any other details and booked next tuesday for the update.

I cannot wait to see the results, but there is a feeling that it wont solve the jerkiness and powerloss. It seems like a customer satisfactory action, like a fake update just to postpone my complaints.

Regards,

Deniz

I had exactly this problem with my A3 2018 1.5 petrol. Family telling me I wasn’t using enough revs, or just being fussy. Luckily the Audi dealer took me seriously and diagnosed the fault. Had the software update done today and can honestly say it’s like a new car.

When I asked for details on the fix they said a valve was being hesitant on a light throttle, not knowing if it should be in or out. It’s now doing as it should.

Can recommend anyone else having chugging/kangarooing on that engine to talk to the dealer.

Please can you confirm the dealer? Mine is booked in but the dealer is saying there is no fix available... cheers

And what was the exact fault so I can quote this to the dealer

Please can you confirm the dealer? Mine is booked in but the dealer is saying there is no fix available... cheers

Hi,
the dealer is Lake District Audi https://www.lakedistrictaudi.co.uk/

I don't have any fault codes and I get the feeling they didn't want to put anything in writing. I did ask about the fault and was told that the throttle valve was being 'indecisive' - not knowing whether to be in or out, especially on a light touch, which you are often doing when pulling away or crawling in traffic.

The software fix has supposedly given the valve a more decisive state, and it definitely feels like its fully engaged now instead of stuttering.

Another symptom I had was the engine losing momentum when changing gear at any speed/rev. This has also been improved.

After a few weeks driving I can't say this fix has completely cured the issue, but there has been a noticeable improvement.

Good luck with the dealer - I'd ask them to install the latest software update because if it solves your problem then you can stop bugging them :)

Thanks for the reply ... I spoke to Tamworth Audi and there is a software update required from Sept 2019 that specifically addresses the issues we’ve described and I’ve seen mentioned on this thread ... hopefully it’ll sort it out !!!
I’ll keep you posted but thanks again

There is a lot of discussion and articles in magazines ,etc.
The fault is the design of engine which is based on the miller cycle. The miller cycle was designed to work with a supercharger and not a turbo. They can fix it but it would then fail emissions.
They have not even released the 1.5 in the USA as they know they will be hit hard with lawsuits. In Europe they can fob us off.
There are currently 10 different " fixes" and none reported as fully working.
My daughter has a Troc and it is discussed a lot on the TRoc forum as well as on Skoda. It seems they release updates to Skoda first to see if they work. Don't be surprised to see a new engine soon to replace the 1.5 .

That’s not what I wanted to hear !!! In my opinion maybe it needs as many people as possible to complain to Audi/VW/Skoda and if necessary use a national platform eg BBC Watchdog to highlight the problem and hopefully get it sorted for everyone.

Why is this problem so selective in effecting or not effecting vehicles.
One reason I went for the Audi as opposed to VW and Skoda was the low incidence of issues with the engine.
My 2019 1.5 35tfsi manual has 6K on the clock. Of these 3K have been towing a caravan, so high engine loads.
I have not experienced any issues.

Colin

Stu , already reported in press and VAG have admitted it. Watchdog approached and not interested. On Troc Forum there is a single thread of over 200 pages , and cars been returned. I do not think Audi have anything different to the rest of VAG.
If you want to know more go to the Troc or Skoda forums and read up on the Miller Cycle engine to understand more. What VAG are trying to do boost the turbo/ rev on cold engines to compensate on compression of the later inlet closure , and still meet emissions. What I expect is really needed is a different cam profile , but that would cost them a huge amount.
I think that is a simplication of what is a complex problem. With the next engine maybe they will drop the Miller Cycle ( vw call it Budek cycle).
I am sure there are much cleverer people on this site that could give detail , but the short point is this has been going on for more than 18 months.

There is a lot of discussion and articles in magazines ,etc.
The fault is the design of engine which is based on the miller cycle. The miller cycle was designed to work with a supercharger and not a turbo. They can fix it but it would then fail emissions.
They have not even released the 1.5 in the USA as they know they will be hit hard with lawsuits. In Europe they can fob us off.
There are currently 10 different " fixes" and none reported as fully working.
My daughter has a Troc and it is discussed a lot on ithe TRoc forum as well as on Skoda. It seems they release updates to Skoda first to see if they work. Don't be surprised to see a new engine soon to replace the 1.5 .
If this was true then would not any other engine with the Miller cycle also have this issue. My A4 also has the Miller cycle but no-one has reported any similar problem, and why is it distinct to manual gearboxes? Why also are these software upgrades then fixing the issue?

Is the A4 the 1.5 ?
Apparently the dsg still has it , but masks the the symptoms.
As far as I see on the forums they are not fixing the problem. There are currently 10 fixes and apparently dependant on engine/ chasis number.
That seems to indicate they have been trying different solutions at production. Though if they are using software to try to solve a hardware problem , they might never really succeed.

Ok I see there is a 2.0 miller cycle ea888 engine. So your question is a good one.
Maybe the extra power , different turbo . Clearly 18 months and not resolved there has to be a reason. Software fix seems like a band aid.

If a software fix, fixes it, then, as owners are reporting, a fix it is. There is no masking going on with it .

Ok , on the Troc and skoda forum is that fix has not worked , and for our Troc they have not yet got a fix .
If it has worked that is great news .
Will wait and see if and when they come up with a fix for ours.

After having the update yesterday, with driving about 100km, for the moment I can say that the fix worked for me.

No hesitation for low rpm range.
No power loss when 2nd gear engaged.
Acceleration pedal response much much better.
No kangaroo effect at all.

I will try to keep you posted of the progress.

After having the update yesterday, with driving about 100km, for the moment I can say that the fix worked for me.

No hesitation for low rpm range.
No power loss when 2nd gear engaged.
Acceleration pedal response much much better.
No kangaroo effect at all.

I will try to keep you posted of the progress.

Where was this update done? My dealer has just phoned me to say the update has not yet been released!!!

Today is all about the software.. it is crazy as it sounds.. even reving engine in P mode when u step on gas has software protected.. all is done by software which has bugs .. why idiot AUDI doesn't have WiFi in cars to simply connect it to fkin internet like smartphones and don't just check car for an update simply?? why we have to chase for the some little software like this ??? guys try send email or suggest this to them ..

I am going in later on to try and reject the car .. I’ve had it 3 months but it’s 10 months old ... I’m not holding my breath ... although research shows that if there’s a fault and you’ve owned the car under 6 months you have a legal right to reject

I am going in later on to try and reject the car .. I’ve had it 3 months but it’s 10 months old ... I’m not holding my breath ... although research shows that if there’s a fault and you’ve owned the car under 6 months you have a legal right to reject

You need to give the dealer a chance to rectify the problem 1st. Have you looked at the link i posted to the Q2 forum? lots of info there and i swear i sw the fault code or update code in there somewhere.

of course one lady in Oldham had only window not going down and she had car replaced .. because she is very arguing and she stands for what she wants.. they gave her new car.. she has SUV like you

There are now 2220 posts on one thread about this. ( sorry do not have a link).on thr TRoc forum.
The reason for no update for some is there is not one update. There are currently 10 different updates , and more on the way . For a very short time there was the official TPI on that thread , but it got removed for obvious legal reasons. Just have to pester the dealer.

Update from today ... Dealer (Audi Tamworth) extremely helpful and can’t fault their customer service at all ... however!!!... the update for my 68 A3 stronic is “in preparation” and not yet available... the fault and issues are clearly associated with the fix and Audi are fully aware of the problem ... dealer told me to ring Audi UK to get update on when the software will be ready ... ring Audi UK and told that they have no date and it’s still with Audi Germany ... told to ring dealer as they have more info ... not impressed at all to be honest ... the dealer staff have helped as much as they can I suppose but it’s looking like “sit and wait” ... *** Audi

Where was this update done? My dealer has just phoned me to say the update has not yet been released!!!

I'm living in Ankara, Turkey.

Also visited Ingolstadt this April, talked with a lady at Audi AG and with a service guy at Ingolstadt Audi Center. They were all aware of the problem at that time but couldn't tell when to come up with a solution.

Before receiving the car I checked the paperwork of the work done if TPI is true or not, but just in case, I will have another service to look for the software version and confirm that it is updated.

With the problem coming up to 2 years old , I personally do not think there is a real fix. They are messing around with software to mask the problem . Do not be surprised to see this engine disappear and be replaced with something different. Remember they have not launched it in the US for fear of class action. Once they get the new engine out they will try to deal with individuals with the problem . I guess a deal on trade in , and once they are over three years old they will pull the warranty card.
It is very sad how they are treating customers.
My daughters Troc 1.5 spent three weeks of the first month on the ramps at the dealers. Engine removed twice , and new bearing fitted ,etc. Needless to say we rejected the car. It was then back on forecourt and someone got a "bargain" 6 week old car.
Actually, the dealer was great but VW UK not so at first , in the end we got sorted and no dispute on the rejection as clearly major engine failure in first 30 days....

Just sell it get new one..

She rejected and returned it and got a free upgrade to another new Troc , that was delivered a week later.
This engine is ok , but still has the Roo.

The engine wasn't introduced in the US because owners are not interested in low capacity versions. The 1.4 in the A4 isn't sold there for the same reasons..

I understood they did have the 1 4 in the US but maybe not in Audi , it could be VW as I think I got it from the VW forum.

Reactions: cuke2u
I have a A3 Black Edition tfsi 1.5 150 PS 110kW engine manufactured in 2017. I too was convinced the engine suffered from hesitation at low speeds, especially in first while pulling away (almost impossible to accelerate away smoothly), and when crawling in traffic. It didn’t necessarily kangaroo as such but it was something I leant to tolerate. The car was only six months old when I purchased it and when I look back I think it exhibited these characteristics even when I first test-drove it.

However after reading this thread and others online, including an Honest John thread, I emailed Audi UK on 4th November. They confirmed there was an ‘issue’ for this particular engine and a fix was available. The car went into the main dealer on 14th November and they ‘carried out a software update for the engine judder’.

The car performs much better following the fix.

Thanks to everyone on here who highlighted that a fix is available for this issue.

Just called audi uk about this issue for my wife's 2018 A3 1.5 stronic. Audi confirmed there is an update for the car so it's being booked in next Wednesday.

Interestingly then they passed me over to the local audi dealer service department they said there was no updates for my vehicle, so they had to call Audi uk while I was waiting on the phone, after a few minutes they came back to me and booked the car in!

So if you want this update phone Audi uk first, as it's not yet classed as a recall, or a fault Audi DE admit to....