1.4tfsi or 1.8tfsi?

Alva78

team Nano, Black Styling package H&R 8mm spacers
Reaction score
I am ready for an upgrade to an 8V.But this time i am going back to petrol,as diesel is not the future as the press tells us.I would prefer a 1.8tfsi but there are hardly any that come up for sale especially as i do want the s-line model only.I was driving home today and saw a 2014 plate 8V tfsi with smoke coming out of the exhaust and it worried me a bit .Was it a 1.4 thats knackered.Or a turbo gone allready?.I know there are 2 1.4 power outputs but 148bhp would be my only choice not the 120bhp.

Any feedback would be most helpfull.My 8P has been a great car with nothing that went wrong ,but its time for a change.

I was in a similar position to you- I ended up buying a 1.8 sport with loads of optional extras (obviously on second hand cars the optionals you get are luck of the draw as it just depends on something coming up that's within the radius you're willing to travel).

I could have gone 1.4 sline for similar money but I knew I'd always want to the 1.8 if I didn't get it. I get high 30s in terms of MPG with a mix of town and distance driving.

EDIT: with regards to smoke, I assume you mean it was slightly blackened coming out of the exhaust?

Yep it was oily smoke you could smell it.i must admit its the first A3 tfsi to see smoking.but maybe this someone reading this has a similar problem.With regards to a sport model i like you would have to make sure it has alot of extras.But i just love the s-line knowing it will have a slightly lowered suspension and bang and olufsen etc

S line doesn't have B & O as standard- it's a £750 optional extra at the time of ordering from new. It is slightly lowered suspension but I'm pretty sure the majority of reviews say the normal set up is a better ride.

I think S-line has Xenons, Flat bottom steering wheel, 'sportier' seats and the body kit as the standard upgrades over the sport. As for my extras...

B & O, tech pack (widescreen mmi and xenons), heated seats, comfort pack (auto lights and wipers), split rear seat, interior lighting, hill hold assist, front and rear sensors, folding + heated mirrors, side assist, storage pack and upgraded genuine alloys. How inconsiderate of the original owner not to finish it all off with a panoramic roof!

Thats handy to know regarding the sound system , one thing off the list .Pano roof ...well that is a big ask eh?

S line has the option to delete the sport suspension as does the Sport model. I think its so common that Sport suspension is rare. I actually posted on here when i 1st got mine as i thought it was lowered by some chav but turns out it just didn't have the suspension delete.

Sport seats are similar or same design in Sport & S-Line but S-line is leather.... I think!

From what i see, S-line doesn't guarantee you any definite extras. You can still get bargain basement models. Audi's are all about the extras!

Not sure why you think it difficult to find a 1.8 TFSI 8v s line( Mines a Sportback) I got one in December without much difficulty and no it doesn't smoke and yes I love it !

As a 1.4COD owner since August 2014 I must say that I'm delighted with my S-Line SB. I also own a TT with the 1.8 litre engine and there is little difference in performance. Both have the 7 speed DSG gearbox. In brim to brim calculations the 1.4 has done 40.36mpg in 15,000 miles - mixed driving - and without trying on a 200 mile motorway journey there and back I saw over 60mpg. The 1.4 has surprised me that it is a good performer and is an extremely smooth engine. I didn't try the 1.8 when I bought it as the extra money being asked meant that I could go heavier on the options. And the 1.4 only attracts £20 a year VED. I'm sure either engine will be good and as said it'll be finding one with the options you want.

I've never seen a smoky one so that must have been a rogue example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was in a similar position to you- I ended up buying a 1.8 sport with loads of optional extras (obviously on second hand cars the optionals you get are luck of the draw as it just depends on something coming up that's within the radius you're willing to travel).

I could have gone 1.4 sline for similar money but I knew I'd always want to the 1.8 if I didn't get it. I get high 30s in terms of MPG with a mix of town and distance driving.

EDIT: with regards to smoke, I assume you mean it was slightly blackened coming out of the exhaust?

Exactly the same as me, I was coming from a Golf mk6 1.4 and was debating the 1.4 COD or the 1.8. I knew I'd regret it so I got the 1.8 and I've definitely made the right choice IMO. I managed to get a good s tronic S line spec to suit me aswell; Full napa leather heated seats, Sav nav Tech pack plus, front & rear sensors and bang & olufssen. The only thing I wish I also had was a pano roof. Go for the 1.8. We need more of them on here!

Not sure how comparable but on my old 2.0TFSI A5, it was FWD and the wheel spin even in the dry was so irritating.

If I was going 1.8 I would go quattro...but then you might as well go S3 as you'll probably see similar MPG and VED bills...