1.4TFSI are all timing belt driven?

Bennnz

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wanted to confirm all of 1.4TFSI engines for A3 between 2014-2018 are belt driven ? I’m thinking to buy a 2014 A3 sedan and someone mentioned it’s timing chain

That will be the EA211 engine which definitely has a belt drive to the camshafts.

Reactions: Bennnz
That will be the EA211 engine which definitely has a belt drive to the camshafts.
Thanks ! Is the change based on Mieage and age for this engine or mostly the mileage ?

Is it better to get 1.8 or 2.0 variant engine overall ?

The cambelt change interval is the subject of much debate. If you search the forum you will find several threads.

In a nutshell Audi UK says change the belt every 5 years or 140k miles, whichever comes first. Audi Germany, the manufacturer, says change it after 140k miles with no time limit, and all their distributors apart from Audi Uk seem to go along with this. Audi UK have never been able to justify the 5year change interval, and under pressure agreed that a change after 5 years was only required if an inspection showed it to be necessary. Their dealers, however, have taken no notice of this, and still insist on a mandatory change at the 5 year point.

The 1.4tfsi engine is an excellent engine with a good reliability record. With 150bhp it gives lively performance, and it’s cheap to run with good fuel economy, low insurance and low tax. If you want better performance go for a bigger engine, but the costs will go up. Test drive the different variants and check out the running costs if you are undecided.

Reactions: AJB, lgooch and Bennnz
I concur on the 1.4. Cracking engine !

You really don’t need any thing more powerful in the UK and it hits the sweet spot between power and economy

Mines 5 years old next month. Garage said to get the cam belt done but I might just leave it another year as it’s on done 50k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm getting my belt done (on a 2014 1.4 TFSI) week after next because the car is now at 107k with no history of the belt being done. I didn't know any of the information that Mike posted above, about Audi Germany saying there's no time limit, only mileage. So I went on Audi's advice on the 5yr interval. It may have been done in 2019 but with no history I've nothing to back it up. Coming from my Lexus previously, they said the belt should be changed every 10 years or 100k, but later revised that to 6 years or 60k, so I figure at my A3's age and mileage, I should just get it done (if it was done in 2019, it's probably only done 35-45k on it). But for me, it's a little extra piece of mind.

I'm getting my belt done (on a 2014 1.4 TFSI) week after next because the car is now at 107k with no history of the belt being done. I didn't know any of the information that Mike posted above, about Audi Germany saying there's no time limit, only mileage. So I went on Audi's advice on the 5yr interval. It may have been done in 2019 but with no history I've nothing to back it up. Coming from my Lexus previously, they said the belt should be changed every 10 years or 100k, but later revised that to 6 years or 60k, so I figure at my A3's age and mileage, I should just get it done (if it was done in 2019, it's probably only done 35-45k on it). But for me, it's a little extra piece of mind.

Wise !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cambelt change interval is the subject of much debate. If you search the forum you will find several threads.

In a nutshell Audi UK says change the belt every 5 years or 140k miles, whichever comes first. Audi Germany, the manufacturer, says change it after 140k miles with no time limit, and all their distributors apart from Audi Uk seem to go along with this. Audi UK have never been able to justify the 5year change interval, and under pressure agreed that a change after 5 years was only required if an inspection showed it to be necessary. Their dealers, however, have taken no notice of this, and still insist on a mandatory change at the 5 year point.

The 1.4tfsi engine is an excellent engine with a good reliability record. With 150bhp it gives lively performance, and it’s cheap to run with good fuel economy, low insurance and low tax. If you want better performance go for a bigger engine, but the costs will go up. Test drive the different variants and check out the running costs if you are undecided.
^Great summary. Completely agree! Mine's a 2013 model, so has the slightly earlier 140bhp version of the 1.4tfsi Cylinder on Demand engine (exactly the same torque, and therefore power, apart from at the top of the rev range), but all the same stuff applies. FWIW mine's currently on about 67k miles and on its original belt.

Audi UK garages recommend you do the water pump don't bother it is fed from the other side of the camshaft has its own little belt.get a good indy and safe a bit

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Audi UK garages recommend you do the water pump don't bother it is fed from the other side of the camshaft has its own little belt.get a good indy and safe a bit

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
When Audi quoted me for the cam belt, I enquired about the waterpump and was told that it didn’t need doing with the belt, but they’d inspect it and advise during the belt replacement