1.4TFSI 150PS engine oil filter?

Wibbly

Reaction score
Can't see its location from the the top of the engine bay (and can't for the life of me find a picture/video from a Google search!)

1. Presumably the engine tray has to be removed to change the filter and it has to be done from below, right? Is the filter at the front or back of the engine?

2. Car is on variable service intervals, but considering doing an interim oil change myself anyway (and not resetting the service interval). Presumably there's little value to sucking out the old oil and replacing it without doing the filter at the same time? That can be done very easily without ramps etc.

Will get a filter + oil change (again) when the car says it needs to anyway.

Does this help?
Audi Q3 2015 1600 4b

filter is as shown above. I was surprised they had gone back to a metal type. Easy job if you have a ramp.

filter is as shown above. I was surprised they had gone back to a metal type. Easy job if you have a ramp.

Surprised in a good or a bad way?

Does anyone know if this differs for the newer 1.5? Is there much difference between the 1.4 and 1.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

only thing i guess could be a metal filter would be dearer than a paper element. Its position makes it easier than a lot to change.

Anyone tried an electric pump vs vacuum pump?

41g8IEEQypL.jpg

vs

41PnoK4N2kL.jpg

Last edited:

Does anyone know if this differs for the newer 1.5? Is there much difference between the 1.4 and 1.5?

Both are the EA211 engine...

I have a PELA vacuum pump and it works well. It has a metal-stiffened probe which goes down the dipstick hole nice and straight to the bottom of the sump. Some other types of pump have a simple plastic pipe probe which can curl. For the PELA pump, the oil needs to be nice and hot (very warm) as thick cold oil can be a problem and take ages to get extracted.

I use it very successfully on my wife's Mini Cooper and another BMW - as both also have "topside" oil filters - and so the whole process can be done with hardly any mess or trouble.

Unfortunately, my Audi has some sort of baffling in the sump and so the probe hits something before reaching the oil and so I have to change the oil underneath in the conventional way. I do not know if this applies to the 1.4/1.5 petrol versions.

As you have an "underside" canister filter, you have to get underneath anyway and so I suppose you could argue that you may as well release the sump plug whilst you are down there getting dirty

Unfortunately, my Audi has some sort of baffling in the sump and so the probe hits something before reaching the oil and so I have to change the oil underneath in the conventional way. I do not know if this applies to the 1.4/1.5 petrol versions.

Oh! That' a bit of a gotcha. Can anyone confirm? As I recall I read somewhere that sucking out the oil was Audi dealer approved practice, so not sure what they do if there's a baffle there :-S

As I recall I read somewhere that sucking out the oil was Audi dealer approved practice
It sure is......that's exactly what they done to my S3 last week.
Also my filter is the paper element type and is located on top of the engine, so all in all a very simple job for them.
20190526 142430

Last edited:
Reactions: Retroman
All the EA888 have the oil filter in that configuration, also make it easy for you to check if it's been changed at a service..

Oh! That' a bit of a gotcha. Can anyone confirm? As I recall I read somewhere that sucking out the oil was Audi dealer approved practice, so not sure what they do if there's a baffle there :-S

So completed the job on my 1.4TSFI yesterday using Sealy vacuum pump. Simple job albeit only about 3/3.5 litres of oil came out (and car was pretty much level). Capacity is supposed to be 4.6 ltrs including filter. Happy with that as car is on extended service plan so this was a 'gratuitous' oil/filter change at 1yr/9000 miles. Biggest PITA was actually just having to get under the car to remove the plastic tray so I could get to the filter.

Reactions: cuke2u
That’s what my invoice said but they sent me a video later and it showed the oil was getting drained from below.
How long was your video?
Mine was simply around 15 seconds showing the bonnet up and the mechanic saying everything had been completed and car had passed the health check etc.

The oil filter is in the same place on the 1.5. However the air filter is more to the right of the engine bay.
The 1.5 has a different turbo which has variable geometry which is pretty cool and I read somewhere that it's a first for a mass market petrol engine. It also uses the Miller engine cycle (different valve timing, fuel pressure etc)
The cylinder head And the cooling system has also been re designed.
In terms of driving experience. The 1.5 gives it's peak torque lower in the Rev range and doesn't like to be revved as much as the old 1.4 does. The engine sounds slightly different to the 1.4 and the 1.5 feels smoother in general.
it Has lost some of the fun element that was in the 1.4 but that's progress for you. Or maybe it's just more stuff to go wrong.
Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: B33r
The oil filter is in the same place on the 1.5. However the air filter is more to the right of the engine bay.
The 1.5 has a different turbo which has variable geometry which is pretty cool and I read somewhere that it's a first for a mass market petrol engine. It also uses the Miller engine cycle (different valve timing, fuel pressure etc)
The cylinder head And the cooling system has also been re designed.
In terms of driving experience. The 1.5 gives it's peak torque lower in the Rev range and doesn't like to be revved as much as the old 1.4 does. The engine sounds slightly different to the 1.4 and the 1.5 feels smoother in general.
it Has lost some of the fun element that was in the 1.4 but that's progress for you. Or maybe it's just more stuff to go wrong.
Only time will tell.

Cool, interesting to know thanks. The torque is definitely lower, it drives quite like a turbo diesel IMO. Fingers crossed it’ll be just as or more reliable!

Reactions: Tzsteve
How long was your video?
Mine was simply around 15 seconds showing the bonnet up and the mechanic saying everything had been completed and car had passed the health check etc.
Mine was about a minute or so. Asked them to check a few things so the mechanic was walking around the car and I could see the oil draining into one of those telescopic oil drainer things while he was showing me tyres, brakes and other things.

Reactions: Ron240