1.4 tfsi Tdi-tuning or Dtuk?

Corbula

Reaction score
I've been looking at tuning boxes for my A4 1.4 tfsi and I'm split between Tdi-tuning and DTUK. I've still got a year of warranty so need to be able to remove it.

Just had my insurance renewal through so going to see how much this would affect that anyway.

From what I know they will be pretty much the same but wanted opinions of which you would go for, or is it just general preference?

Thanks

There seemed to be some evidence posted on other threads that it was now possible to tell that one had been fitted, even when removed. Whereas before, it was not possible to detect.

I have never heard of a tuning box being detected yet. Of course they can see marks on the connectors left by the fitting of them, or even send the ecu map back to Germany to have it dissected for any traces.
However owners are still fitting them and they aren't being detected..

Yes but how many people with one fitted had to make an engine/box warranty claim since they (alledgedly) can now be detected? And how many of those will share their experience online anyway?

Reactions: tickedon
I've got a DTUK box on my 1.4TFSI. My existing insurer applied a 20% uplift to my premium to cover the box.

I find programs 1 and 3 are the best, still trying various increments within each program.

DTUK have just upgraded their tuning boxes, faster processors, and optional bluetooth module paired with an app on your phone, so no more popping the bonnet to change the program (although that itself only takes 30 seconds).

Yes but how many people with one fitted had to make an engine/box warranty claim since they (alledgedly) can now be detected? And how many of those will share their experience online anyway?
None I have heard of with tuning boxes. If it was the case then I am sure we would be hearing about a product that breaks engines quick enough. Personally I have not had any reliabilty issues with either boxes or remaps....

Not on myb9 yet, only done 7,000 miles so waiting until two years are up....

You have one on the B9?

I've had a DTUK box on mine for the last 1000 miles, no issues so far. Only 'issue' was finding somewhere to mount it, used some automotive velcro and attached it to the brake distributor (only flat surface I could find).

Must admit I’m quite interested here. My main concern is it being detectable on the engine ecu come service time and therefore invalidating the warranty.

Must admit I’m quite interested here. My main concern is it being detectable on the engine ecu come service time and therefore invalidating the warranty.

I certainly wouldn't do it under warranty. Even if it has nothing to do with the tuning box, a rejected box or engine warranty claim would be very painful. The internet is not a reliable enough source to assume this won't happen, particularly with a sample of 2. Manufacturers have found or will find a way to detect. At least I hope so as it's a very gypo thing to do as the next owner may not want to buy something that has been modified. In my opinion anyway.

Reactions: pierreluigi88
I certainly wouldn't do it under warranty. Even if it has nothing to do with the tuning box, a rejected box or engine warranty claim would be very painful. The internet is not a reliable enough source to assume this won't happen, particularly with a sample of 2. Manufacturers have found or will find a way to detect. At least I hope so as it's a very gypo thing to do as the next owner may not want to buy something that has been modified. In my opinion anyway.
You could argue that it is best to do it under warranty. In the unlikely (I think) event that something did go wrong you’d stand a better chance of a free repair/replacement than if out of warranty altogether, when you’d have zero chance.

Sample of 2 here maybe but this is not the only car enthusiast forum on the internet and as for the internet not being a reliable enough source, what better resource is there? Granted you can’t believe everything that’s posted up but there must be 100’s if not 1000’s of people worldwide that have used these these things and have posted up their experiences of them. Take the majority view.

I certainly won’t have any moral dilemma, or “gypo thing” as you call it either. My car will eventually be going back to Audi.

In saying all that, would I really want to run the potential risk? Probably not. But it is quite interesting all the same.

Yes Gypo is a bit strong a word. Inconsiderate is what I meant as the car will end up in someone else's hands.

I had 2 tdi tunning boxes with no problem but went full map in the end

I think some are confused about what a remap or a tuning box actually does. Its not just about out and out power and torque increases and if you don't give the full beans you aren't really stressing the engine anymore than it would be in normal tune. A good remap or tuning box alters the manner in which power and torque is delivered making it more 'tractable' smoother and linear and can transform a engine.
Anyone who acually has had one will agree this is true and especially is the case with diesels....

Reactions: Glasgoe Joe and chrisj75
Indeed, they also often have ad hoc throttle maps bundled, although I don't know if anyone is confused.

I think some are confused about what a remap or a tuning box actually does. Its not just about out and out power and torque increases and if you don't give the full beans you aren't really stressing the engine anymore than it would be in normal tune. A good remap or tuning box alters the manner in which power and torque is delivered making it more 'tractable' smoother and linear and can transform a engine.
Anyone who acually has had one will agree this is true and especially is the case with diesels....
This may well be the case but they are sold on the increased power outputs they achieve. Nobody would buy one if the headline output figures stayed the same. And I’d wager most, if not all, who buy them buy them for increased power/torque and that the drivability/economy is an added benefit.

What I do find interesting is that most people (myself included) still err on the side of caution with aftermarket tuning boxes/chips yet they’ve been around for probably the best part of 30 years now. I guess it’s the old play with fire, get burnt mentality.

Tuning boxes have a long way since the early days and were just seen as a cheap box of resistors that only forced more fuel into the throat of an engine. Far more research goes into them these days as well.
Sure they are sold on increasing the power but dtuk do list the other positives as well. As I stated, talk to anyone who has had one and the other benefits will become apparent....

Nothing wrong with them per se. Still not warranty proof even if the issue has nothing to do with the tuning box. Very rare occurrence rate, very high cost when it does happen and statistically, gearboxes or engines do let go. It's about attitude to risk ultimately, and consideration for future owners, as I stated.

Not the ones down here and they are very difficult to see in the dark as other owners have discovered...

Well, I've just spoken to my insurance and they won't quote due to the fact the power increase is variable rather than a fixed number.

Well, I've just spoken to my insurance and they won't quote due to the fact the power increase is variable rather than a fixed number.

That's a bit silly of them... Just give them the max increase then I'd say!

Quite, there's no more of a insurance risk than any other car of the same power output so just increase the premium. Personally it's never been a issue with the insurance companies I've used.

Reactions: Daggerit
That's what I said, can't you just take the maximum power and quote for that but they said no because the power is variable. Can I car with less power be at more risk? I think not.

Thing is I actually got a quote in January but they could only tell me how much it would be until the end of the policy not for a full year. Speak to someone else and then the underwriters can't quote.

I think I'd just be telling them that the overall figure isn't different, just how the power is delivered, and that they should just use the maximum power as the fixed value. Insurance companies are a sham...

That's what I said, can't you just take the maximum power and quote for that but they said no because the power is variable. Can I car with less power be at more risk? I think not.

Thing is I actually got a quote in January but they could only tell me how much it would be until the end of the policy not for a full year. Speak to someone else and then the underwriters can't quote.
But any car has varible power on how much pressure you place on the throttle and what about fords that have overboost on the turbo? Rather a pathetic excuse...