1.4 TFSI oil consumption

Najainitro

Reaction score
I have a 62 plate Audi A3 8v 1.4 TFSI with 80,000 miles on it which I’ve owned for 3 years and maintained at no expense spared. To say the engine and components to it are cr@p is an understatement. In the last two years its cost me almost £2000 replacing the turbo, cam belt, water pump etc and the latest problem is oil consumption.

At the start of the year it became sluggish and I noticed oil was being drawn through the turbo on the air intake side so I bought a reconditioned unit and got it replaced.

The car has always used some oil but since then it’s become ridiculous. It gradually used a litre every 1000 miles, then Every 500 miles and and now it’s just drunk a whole litre after just 300 miles!! There’s no obvious point of loss... no leak, no smoke, no oil burning smell.

I’ve had the spark plugs out today and all 4 show traces of oil and burnt deposits on them... cylinder 1 was by far the worst... I’m guessing it’s the dreaded Audi piston rings allowing oil to escape into the combustion chamber, just what I need.

Can anyone advise on this. I think it’s the CMBA engine I know this was a common fault in earlier engines but I thought Audi had tidied their act up on the newer models.

Does anyone know the rough cost of stripping and replacing the rings? My other option is a used engine but who’s to say that won’t have the same problem.

any advice that anyone can offer would be really appreciated as I’m at a loss.

Attachments

• 19ECEC55-2136-4A22-B538-0F510E831F60.jpeg
    19ECEC55-2136-4A22-B538-0F510E831F60.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 503
Reactions: pburv
TFSI’s are notorious for drinking oil. I was lucky to get my engine replaced on my B8 by Audi due to the manufacturing fault scandal. I don’t know if it effects your engine though.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

bit of an update... I’m starting to think the fouled spark plugs may have been down to the old turbo... a lot of oil was being drawn through the intake side when it went and I never had the plugs changed...

I’m starting to think the issue is the recon turbo... I’ve had a good look around the engine today and found quite a bit of oil in the area of the return pipe and clamp on the exhaust side. It did have a new return pipe fitted so at a guess I’m presuming could be a faulty recon turbo!!

Attachments

• C1EB6046-B3CE-4C9B-82D2-4F40C4C336A4.jpeg
    C1EB6046-B3CE-4C9B-82D2-4F40C4C336A4.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 294
my 19 plate 35 tfsi came up with oil light after 8k miles - although its not doing long runs so probably using oil on cold runs
it took about 500ml to get it back