Facelift 1.4 TFSI cylinder on demand 150 PS 6-speed?

j0hnst0n00

Reaction score
Morning everyone,

I am interested in the opinions of owners (or ex-owners) of cars with the 1.4 TFSI cylinder on demand 150 PS 6-speed.

I presently own a A3 2016 2.0 TDi s-line Sportback but the mileage we are covering now no longer necessitates a diesel so thinking of changing back to a petrol.

I have seen a 2016 (66) Black Edition 1.4 TFSI CoD 150 for sale and wondered what you think of them. My current car gives about 50mpg over the time I have owned it and according to Honest John the 1.4 does about 47mpg so it’s seems relatively frugal.

Any other good or bad ownership points I should consider?

Thanks in advance.

We've got the 1.5TFSI which is basically the same...............

Its now done 1000 miles and I have not reset the fuel computer since we got it....

The missus uses it for short stop start journeys, urban, all week and then we have a couple of longer runs at the weekend, mix of dual carriageway and country lanes....

Computer is showing average of 41.7mpg.....

I'm quite happy with that.

The only thing you may need to be wary about is a lack of low end torque compared to the 2.0 TDi. It certainly motors once the revs rise and the turbo gets spinning, but I would take one a test drive & see if it suits you.......

Reactions: j0hnst0n00
Morning everyone,

I am interested in the opinions of owners (or ex-owners) of cars with the 1.4 TFSI cylinder on demand 150 PS 6-speed.

I presently own a A3 2016 2.0 TDi s-line Sportback but the mileage we are covering now no longer necessitates a diesel so thinking of changing back to a petrol.

I have seen a 2016 (66) Black Edition 1.4 TFSI CoD 150 for sale and wondered what you think of them. My current car gives about 50mpg over the time I have owned it and according to Honest John the 1.4 does about 47mpg so it’s seems relatively frugal.

Any other good or bad ownership points I should consider?

Thanks in advance.
Wife has the same engine in her A1 black addition, albeit the car is a little smaller but she averages mid 40's so I imagine @PhilsA3 average is a good indicator.

Don't worry about lack of torque at low revs - Just (re)learn to be in the right gear.

#dieseldriversarelazy. :)

Reactions: 4K and j0hnst0n00
I presently have the 1.4 COD 150 sportback and think it is one of the best engines I have had in the Audi's I have owned.
As said above it is a cracking engine and what I like about it is that even 70-80 on the motorway with cruise it drops into 2 cyl mode giving good mileage returns.
Also At 70 ish when you want top pull out, no hesitation and is very smooth in it's pickup accelerating very well indeed.
Mine replaced a B8 2 litre A4 Tdi which had the same BHP put pulling a much bigger car. I have not been disappointed with this engine and overall find it much more lively to drive than the diesel it replaced.
Had mine two years now and took out the 5 year warranty at purchase based on previous ownership problems but not had to take it back at all for any warranty work and it is on 24 k so nicely run in now. Overall,I would say go for it .

We've got the 1.5TFSI which is basically the same...............

Its now done 1000 miles and I have not reset the fuel computer since we got it....

The missus uses it for short stop start journeys, urban, all week and then we have a couple of longer runs at the weekend, mix of dual carriageway and country lanes....

Computer is showing average of 41.7mpg.....

I'm quite happy with that.

The only thing you may need to be wary about is a lack of low end torque compared to the 2.0 TDi. It certainly motors once the revs rise and the turbo gets spinning, but I would take one a test drive & see if it suits you.......
Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty light with my right foot so probably won't be an issue: did your Black Edition have rear reversing sensors and electric folding mirrors? The sales details suggests the one I am interested in has, but Audi Customer Services say otherwise (haven't had chance to view it yet)

I presently have the 1.4 COD 150 sportback and think it is one of the best engines I have had in the Audi's I have owned.
As said above it is a cracking engine and what I like about it is that even 70-80 on the motorway with cruise it drops into 2 cyl mode giving good mileage returns.
Also At 70 ish when you want top pull out, no hesitation and is very smooth in it's pickup accelerating very well indeed.
Mine replaced a B8 2 litre A4 Tdi which had the same BHP put pulling a much bigger car. I have not been disappointed with this engine and overall find it much more lively to drive than the diesel it replaced.
Had mine two years now and took out the 5 year warranty at purchase based on previous ownership problems but not had to take it back at all for any warranty work and it is on 24 k so nicely run in now. Overall,I would say go for it .
That's good to hear. Which model is yours? The one I am interested in is a 66 face lift BE; I am trying to weigh up the spec (haven't seen or driven it yet)

Thanks for the reply! I'm pretty light with my right foot so probably won't be an issue: did your Black Edition have rear reversing sensors and electric folding mirrors? The sales details suggests the one I am interested in has, but Audi Customer Services say otherwise (haven't had chance to view it yet)

Ours has front & rear parking sensors and folding mirrors. The car was pre reg , I think the folding mirrors are an option and has front & rear parking sensors, I think they are part of the comfort pack it has.....

Simply a beautiful engine.
Folding mirrors were an option (separate from Comfort pack)
Comfort pack did include rear parking sensors. Front was an additional option.
This is from MY 15 brochure.

I have an A3 Sport 1.4 TFSI 150HP COD Sportback with manual transmission.

It got 7.500 miles on the clock and last 4K miles it's been doing 48 mpg however this will require “calm driving”.

Anyways, love the car!

Peach if an engine. Love mine in Sline black edition trim with extras. Simply loveleh. Buy one !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: j0hnst0n00 and Chris43
I get 42 mpg with lots of A roads. Bit of motorway and the odd long run that’s over 8k miles since new.

Rear sensors and mirrors were extras. Get one with B&O. Great system and if you can get the virtual cockpit you really don’t need anything else.

Oh other than heated seats. Won’t be without them

I have the 1.5TSI COD. Just done 4k and its starting loosen up nicely. It amazes me how smoothly it shifts between 2 and 4 cylinders. If it wasn't for the MPG graph turning green you would never know.

a couple of things I've noticed. It does not like short journies, they seem to really drag the MPG down. Its also sensitive to cold weather. The mild weather we had last week added 4MPG to the average over the same trip. Long term average is showing 44 MPG

I use standard 95 ron, does 98 RON give any appreciable advantage in MPG or performance?

Don't worry about lack of torque at low revs - Just (re)learn to be in the right gear.

#dieseldriversarelazy. :)
There is no lack of torque at low rpm, 250Nm at 1500rpm. It has the same torque as the 1.6 diesel but more power. I had one for a few years, fantastic engine and I achieved around 39-40mpg urban...

Reactions: j0hnst0n00 and KenL
I have the 1.5 COD (in Saloon A3 instead of Sportback) and average about 40-41 mpg with it always in Dynamic and driving it on mostly 70-90 mph roads, so definitely room to get more mpg out of it.

Love the engine, had a 1.0 140 PS on a Fiesta before this and you can notice the different with the extra cylinder and extra 10 hp in the Audi. Just doesn't sound as good strangely.

I agree with most who posted .I would put it at 42mpg on average.i had a 2.0 diesel 8p before and it's not a torquey in the lower revs as the diesel but incredibly smooth engine and really quiet at tick over

Cruise down m6 and m5 today (189 miles ) and it’s 47mpg

Mint engine. Top car. Can’t fault it.

I'm as below - find winter and short journeys are bad for economy, but despite that, my tank to tank average is between 43 and 50mpg if I'm not going too fast.

a couple of things I've noticed. It does not like short journies, they seem to really drag the MPG down. Its also sensitive to cold weather. The mild weather we had last week added 4MPG to the average over the same trip. Long term average is showing 44 MPG

I use standard 95 ron, does 98 RON give any appreciable advantage in MPG or performance?

Not on these engines, no. I tried for at least three months but found zero difference.

Reactions: Chris43 and j0hnst0n00
44 for me over 8000 miles but most of that is horrible stop-start city commuter traffic. It's much better on motorways.

Reactions: Chris43 and j0hnst0n00
Thanks everybody for your replies. Seems there is nothing not to like about this engine.

The car I am interested in is a 1.4 TFSI CoD Black Edition. It's a 2017 (66) facelift model in Daytona Grey; it’s not overburdened with 'extras' unfortunately but is listed as having folding door mirrors.

There are not many (if any) BE's of about 12 months old for sale at the moment (at least where I have been looking) so while more extras would be desirable I think they are unattainable (especially in my budget).

I am hoping to have a look at it next week.

Reactions: Chris43
Early march there should be a glut of 2nd hand cars appear as everyone trades in for an 18 plate. Also, this time of year dealers to pre register cars to hit their target, you may get lucky. I guess keep looking. If you find a car that suits your requirement a fair distance away a decent garage chain maybe able to transfer it to a local dealer.

Thanks everybody for your replies. Seems there is nothing not to like about this engine.

The car I am interested in is a 1.4 TFSI CoD Black Edition. It's a 2017 (66) facelift model in Daytona Grey; it’s not overburdened with 'extras' unfortunately but is listed as having folding door mirrors.

There are not many (if any) BE's of about 12 months old for sale at the moment (at least where I have been looking) so while more extras would be desirable I think they are unattainable (especially in my budget).

I am hoping to have a look at it next week.

Buy it !!!!!!

I have had the 1.5 CoD engine for 2 months, after driving the 2.0 TDI for about 12 years. I really like the new engine, and also significantly quieter and more refine than the TDI.

Ive got a 2015 A3 1.4 TFSI COD 150BHp and its awesome.

Its even better when you fit a DTUK box (and it does not increase the insurance too much), its cheap to run, cheap to tax, cheap to insure and very nippy.

Easily one of the best cars I have owned.

Thanks for all the positive feedback on the 1.4 CoD.

Does beg the question though, why do Audi no longer manufacture cars with this engine? (As I understand it, it has been replaced by the 1.5 CoD).

Same engine, just a different cubic capacity and a slighty different engine map, according to the road tests I have read...

My late wife bought a COD in March 2015. Glacier, Pan roof , 16 spokes etc. Nice car and for what it was it went really well. She hardly drove it as she was taken ill shortly after so I sold my S3 and used it for about 9 months, 10,000 miles.
Quick summary..
Quite spritely for a 1,4
Standard music was p. poor after B&O.
Handling (Comfort) was awful after S3, very wallowy
Economy was only good when running on 2 cylinders, on M'Way it was poor and actually no better than the 2014 S3. 30ish mpg if driven keeping up with M4/M5 traffic.
Would I buy one, maybe but definitely check on suspension, the Comfort was the big issue for me and was not to my liking being used to a sportier feel. Felt more appropriate for a conservative elderly driver.

Obviously you were still driving it trying to attain the same speeds as your S3 ;-) Joking aside this engine is even managing 44+ in the A4 on a motorway and is in short supply because of the demand...

Obviously you were still driving it trying to attain the same speeds as your S3 ;-) Joking aside this engine is even managing 44+ in the A4 on a motorway and is in short supply because of the demand...
There may be a degree of that but in my experience people with less powerful cars often thrash them to keep up! Certainly no excessive speed and I agree that if you cruise at 50-60 mph in 2 cylinder mode it is very economical but normal motorway driving wasn't that great.

My late wife bought a COD in March 2015. Glacier, Pan roof , 16 spokes etc. Nice car and for what it was it went really well. She hardly drove it as she was taken ill shortly after so I sold my S3 and used it for about 9 months, 10,000 miles.
Quick summary..
Quite spritely for a 1,4
Economy was only good when running on 2 cylinders, on M'Way it was poor and actually no better than the 2014 S3. 30ish mpg if driven keeping up with M4/M5 traffic.
Would I buy one, maybe but definitely check on suspension, the Comfort was the big issue for me and was not to my liking being used to a sportier feel. Felt more appropriate for a conservative elderly driver.
Sorry to hear of your wife fella.

Thanks 2015 was **** but improving now. Only 50's the dreaded C word which is probably why I am so passionate about protecting our NHS from the nasty party.
Completely understand

Quick summary..
Quite spritely for a 1,4
There may be a degree of that but in my experience people with less powerful cars often thrash them to keep up! Certainly no excessive speed and I agree that if you cruise at 50-60 mph in 2 cylinder mode it is very economical but normal motorway driving wasn't that great.
I'm just wondering how you can judge the fuel consumption when running on 2-cylinders? Driving along with the cylinder mode showing on the MMI I can't see how you can keep it running on 2-cylinders for any length of time. It goes in and out all the time. On a motorway for example, if you kept to a moderate speed downhill or flat it might stay in 2-cyl mode. But as soon as you come to the slightest incline it will jump into 4-cyl.
Also, I have trouble imagining how you could get as low as 30mpg. Mine gets 40+ even on short trips around town/country roads and not trying. Just my findings.
Sorry about your wife. My wife's sister passed away last year in her 50's - tragic time.

I'm just wondering how you can judge the fuel consumption when running on 2-cylinders? Driving along with the cylinder mode showing on the MMI I can't see how you can keep it running on 2-cylinders for any length of time. It goes in and out all the time. On a motorway for example, if you kept to a moderate speed downhill or flat it might stay in 2-cyl mode. But as soon as you come to the slightest incline it will jump into 4-cyl.
Also, I have trouble imagining how you could get as low as 30mpg. Mine gets 40+ even on short trips around town/country roads and not trying. Just my findings.
Sorry about your wife. My wife's sister passed away last year in her 50's - tragic time.

Thanks. When driving on the motorway the 2 cylinder mode showed up on dash up to about 60-65 mph from memory. The economy from say Bristol to Southampton ( regular trip) rarely went above the low 30's much the same as my 14 8v S3. I actually achieved 32.5 on that run on Monday in my current RS3. I remember mentioning to the dealer how disappointed we we were with motorway cruising Mpg on the 1.4 150 COD and they weren't surprised. The Mpg benefits appear to be around town and cruising in 2cylinder mode.

I can assure you if you are having to thrash it to keep up then somethings wrong with the company you are keeping. I never felt the need to thrash mine as the grunt, full torque, comes in at only 1500rpm. Even if I did drive in a more spirited way the mpg still didn't drop below 39. To compare, on my twice yearly drive from east sussex to suffolk, comparing it to a 2.0l diesel, over A roads and motorways, the average mpg was exactly the same, yet more fun in the 1.4. Over the stretch of the a21, before hitting the m25, in keeping up with the flow of traffic it was in fact showing an average of 65mpg...

I can assure you if you are having to thrash it to keep up then somethings wrong with the company you are keeping. I never felt the need to thrash mine as the grunt, full torque, comes in at only 1500rpm. Even if I did drive in a more spirited way the mpg still didn't drop below 39. To compare, on my twice yearly drive from east sussex to suffolk, comparing it to a 2.0l diesel, over A roads and motorways, the average mpg was exactly the same, yet more fun in the 1.4. Over the stretch of the a21, before hitting the m25, in keeping up with the flow of traffic it was in fact showing an average of 65mpg...
I am generally used to driving faster cars than a 1.4COD admittedly but to get it moving it does demand a bit of wellie and cruising at around motorway speeds they are not that much more economical than an S3 (or even RS3) in my experience.

Have to admit I found the opposite when driving a demo. I noticed it had a rather low MPG (20's?) which was a slight concern but didn't really think about it too much as I didn't know how it had been driving or where, whether it had been sitting while running for a long period of time etc. Anyway, after a relatively short drive (20-30mins?) on all types of road I noticed it had climbed to 44Mpg. Admittedly I did drive it like a grandma but reckon even if I'd done it a bit quicker from stops etc it'd have still been a relatively good 40Mpg minimum

I went from Basingstoke to Manchester last week. Easily did 47mpg with speed hovering around 70 ish with some 50 mph thrown due to roadworks. If your getting low 30 you must be caning it.

Reactions: RGBARGEE