1.4 TFSI COD

SavageParsnip

Reaction score
I currently have my 1.4 TFSI COD on order. I'm putting my sensible head on now! Anyone who has one, how much does a tank of petrol cost you and what sort of mileage do you get from a tank?

Can't wait for delivery in the next couple of weeks!

long time since I filled up from empty as usually top up when on half but when I did was getting 500+ per tank and the best was 558.

long time since I filled up from empty as usually top up when on half but when I did was getting 500+ per tank and the best was 558.
That's not bad. Much better than my current car. Unsurprisingly. Can you remember how much a tank cost?

£53 to fill up.

Anything from 330 to 520 miles from a tank depending on where I'm driving.

When running it down to 0 miles left you are looking at c£53!

Mine has now done 13k....the average MPG is 40. My record is 51MPG on a long journey and taking it easy!

I just filled mine up, 70 miles left in the tank and £45 to fill it up. I usually get 38-40mpg day to day. Best I've had is 58 on a run from Manchester to Cardiff.

Mine runs at just over 40mpg round and about, mainly short journeys. Can be around 50 on a careful long run.

When the car comes up with the warning (and option to navigate to a petrol station if you have sat nav option) then it seems to cost anything between £50 - £55. I seem to get about 41.7 mpg. Thats a 50 min drive in total a day - half around town, half on A23 / M23.

lol looked at my fuel gauge yesterday and thought "That's gone down quicker than normal"...then remembered about the few blasts I've had this week on the way to and from work :D "Ahhh that's why"...I try not to worry too much about the fuel and just enjoy the car.

I had looked at the Nismo 370Z but 18mpg put me off as well all know you would never get that :D not to mention the £490 road tax!

Looks good though:

media

Reactions: SavageParsnip and daydotz
I currently have my 1.4 TFSI COD on order. I'm putting my sensible head on now! Anyone who has one, how much does a tank of petrol cost you and what sort of mileage do you get from a tank?

50l tank plus a bit of reserve/piping, so 50x your local garage's petrol price per litre :p That's about £55 where I am, but your mileage may vary ;)

I get roughly an indicated 530 miles per tank.

Reactions: SavageParsnip
About £50 ish to fill up. Mines brand new and been getting between 45 and 51 mpg every day with average driving.

I decided to do a little experiment today. I had a trip of about 90 miles. 90% on the motorway. Also about 20 miles of 50mph roadworks.
Going up this morning I set cruise to 70mph and that's what I did all the way (except 50 in the roadworks) I find this somewhat stressful because you are stuck with all the other cars with their cruise set and have to anticipate all the while, and you get stuck overtaking someone doing 69 and holding up other cars.
Anyway, on the way back I didn't use cruise, but aimed to stay at 70 to 75. Of course occasionally you look down at the speedo and you are going 85!!

Results - cruise 55.2mpg. Non-cruise 57.

I was surprised!!

Cruise control is a wonderful invention, ruined by everyone else on the road.

I often find when I've got cruise set that you'll overtake a car, for him to bomb past further up the road, pull in ahead and slow down, I'm still going at my set speed. Catch them up again and overtake, then he just repeats the process. Then they think you're playing games with them etc.

Realistically cruise control only works with little traffic about.

As for the MPG you can better plan ahead without using cruise control.

I find cruise very beneficial both to MPG and general driving awareness/safety. Testing trips one way vs way back is bad science ;) - usually a prevailing wind/altitude change will account for more difference in MPG - for instance my commute to work is nearly always at least 5 MPG better than coming back just due to prevailing winds.

On the roads I commute (mostly dual carriageway) it's also much safer - constant speed helps other people judge distances much better and the speed differentials are usually much lower giving much more time to anticipate.

Cruise control is a wonderful invention, ruined by everyone else on the road.

I often find when I've got cruise set that you'll overtake a car, for him to bomb past further up the road, pull in ahead and slow down, I'm still going at my set speed. Catch them up again and overtake, then he just repeats the process. Then they think you're playing games with them etc.

Realistically cruise control only works with little traffic about.

This is what ACC is for - I used to find the same issue with Cruise Control on my previous car - now I have ACC it makes life so much easier and works great in heavy traffic conditions.

I decided to do a little experiment today. I had a trip of about 90 miles. 90% on the motorway. Also about 20 miles of 50mph roadworks.
Going up this morning I set cruise to 70mph and that's what I did all the way (except 50 in the roadworks) I find this somewhat stressful because you are stuck with all the other cars with their cruise set and have to anticipate all the while, and you get stuck overtaking someone doing 69 and holding up other cars.
Anyway, on the way back I didn't use cruise, but aimed to stay at 70 to 75. Of course occasionally you look down at the speedo and you are going 85!!

Results - cruise 55.2mpg. Non-cruise 57.

I was surprised!!

That is very surprising. Are you sure the route on the way back wasn't slightly downhill? ;)

On the COD I've found the difference between doing 70 or 80 significantly impacts fuel economy. Cruising at 70 I can easily get 55mpg but doing 80 it drops into mid-40's. Using D and sometimes S for a bit.

Maybe CC gets a bit too heavy footed trying to keep to that minimum speed? One thing Audi said to me was that if you want to get back up to speed - use cruise control to do that (pull stalk towards you) as it'll do it the most efficiently...

To answer the OP -

It costs me about £56-ish to fill up (I use V-Power for some inexplicable reason) and my average MPG is 30MPG...mostly stop/start town driving. If I get on the motorway I'll get 50+ mpg as long as I stick to 70-75. I generally keep it on Auto mode and sometimes use Dynamic. I never use Eco even though it's a very impressive system...it drops the revs to near-0 if you lift off to coast.

I think a full tank is about 480 miles.

Don't expect to be blown away by the MPG on the COD...you'll get great economy on motorway journeys but for B-Road/Town jaunts expect to top up often.

Yes - I appreciate my test was not particularly scientific. The difference in elevation (taken from the map) is no more that 40 metres over 90 miles, so not really significant downhill on the way back.
I know that quite moderate increase in speed hits the consumption, and that's why I thought that coming home would be less economical. Anyway - there it is. I may try similar another time, just out of interest.

I must say that I don't particularly agree with the comment that using resume is more efficient though. I think it seems to accelerate more agressively than I would myself.

Just over €60 and about 600k per tank, but I do like to enjoy the car and don't think iv changed out of dynamic mode once.....

Great car and engine, cant fault it for anything that I have thrown at it since I got her and iv had a few 400bhp beasts before this one!

I must say that I don't particularly agree with the comment that using resume is more efficient though. I think it seems to accelerate more agressively than I would myself.
Depends which mode you're in. Efficiency has a really slow resume rate compared to other modes.

lol looked at my fuel gauge yesterday and thought "That's gone down quicker than normal"...then remembered about the few blasts I've had this week on the way to and from work :D "Ahhh that's why"...I try not to worry too much about the fuel and just enjoy the car.

I had looked at the Nismo 370Z but 18mpg put me off as well all know you would never get that :D not to mention the £490 road tax!

Looks good though:

media
Does look pretty sweet. Opposite end of the scale to a 1.4 a3 though!! Haha

Just over €60 and about 600k per tank, but I do like to enjoy the car and don't think iv changed out of dynamic mode once.....

Great car and engine, cant fault it for anything that I have thrown at it since I got her and iv had a few 400bhp beasts before this one!
That's good to hear. I've got a hot hatch at the moment so was a little worried the a3 wouldn't excite me enough!

Depends which mode you're in. Efficiency has a really slow resume rate compared to other modes.
OK - I guess Efficiency is slower on the uptake, but I really don't like that mode. When I take my foot off the gas I like to feel the car slow down, but the coasting part of the Efficiency mode takes that away.
I tried it but couldn't get used to it. Plus it didn't seem anymore economical (though I didn't give it much of a test I admit)

OK - I guess Efficiency is slower on the uptake, but I really don't like that mode. When I take my foot off the gas I like to feel the car slow down, but the coasting part of the Efficiency mode takes that away.
I tried it but couldn't get used to it. Plus it didn't seem anymore economical (though I didn't give it much of a test I admit)

Agreed - it's a little strange when it coasts. The only time I've used it is on a long motorway stretch with minimal traffic in front of me - take it up to 85 and let it coast, and speed up again. Didn't have much effect on economy from what I could tell.

Town driving would be scary almost - where you'd expect it to engine brake and it doesn't.

Journey to work this morning - all town driving - I got 25mpg :D

It seems to me that unless you have magna suspension and s-tronic, drive select is a bit of a gimmick. When I quizzed the salesman about it he just flannelled about throttle response and steering feel. He didn't really convince me that it was a real plus point for the revised A3, which is what he was trying to imply. So for the first few months I had mine, I experimented with different settings and the only difference I noticed was in the weight of the steering. A few months further on I suddenly remembered about drive select and decided to try it on Efficiency for a few months. The car felt no different to any other setting and I got a constant 42 mpg on filling to the brim each time. For the past 3 months or so I've kept it on dynamic and again the car feels no different, but I'm now getting 46 mpg. I do more or less the same driving and nobody else drives the car, so I am surprised at this result. I shall continue the experiment until I have given all settings a fair test.

It seems to me that unless you have magna suspension and s-tronic, drive select is a bit of a gimmick. When I quizzed the salesman about it he just flannelled about throttle response and steering feel. He didn't really convince me that it was a real plus point for the revised A3, which is what he was trying to imply. So for the first few months I had mine, I experimented with different settings and the only difference I noticed was in the weight of the steering. A few months further on I suddenly remembered about drive select and decided to try it on Efficiency for a few months. The car felt no different to any other setting and I got a constant 42 mpg on filling to the brim each time. For the past 3 months or so I've kept it on dynamic and again the car feels no different, but I'm now getting 46 mpg. I do more or less the same driving and nobody else drives the car, so I am surprised at this result. I shall continue the experiment until I have given all settings a fair test.
I run my mode in auto all of the time, but there is a hell of difference to the throttle response when I switch it to dynamic. Some have noticed that the throttle makes the car jerk when they accelerate when set to dynamic. As to the effect on mpg, that does rather depend on the driving conditions really and ambient temperatures as it sets the CC to a economy setting.

We have a March 2015 COD S-Line 150.

I think the tank is 55l and petrol is about 1.07 a litre... so £58.85

We get between 40-45mpg in normal use.