1.4 TFSI - 5w30 vs 5w40

Shira

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2008 petrol 1.4 TFSI Hatchback I bought almost a year ago with ~103k KM, changed the oil and all the filters then after some research, opting for the Castrol EDGE FST 5w40 as I read it was better for "higher mileage" cars.

I'm now at around 114k km and thought it's time to change it, thinking to swap to the 5w30 recommended in the Audi book. I've looked around the forums a lot for feedback on this, with no clear answer, as most threads refer to Diesel engines or newer models. I live in a very humid, relatively warm area (0-20C in winter, 20-35C in summer).

I'd appreciate any feedback on this subject.

Hi, I have a 2008 petrol 1.4 TFSI Hatchback I bought almost a year ago with ~103k KM, changed the oil and all the filters then after some research, opting for the Castrol EDGE FST 5w40 as I read it was better for "higher mileage" cars.

I'm now at around 114k km and thought it's time to change it, thinking to swap to the 5w30 recommended in the Audi book. I've looked around the forums a lot for feedback on this, with no clear answer, as most threads refer to Diesel engines or newer models. I live in a very humid, relatively warm area (0-20C in winter, 20-35C in summer).

I'd appreciate any feedback on this subject.
Ideally you should always use the manufacturers spec when it comes to oil..

Many people think using a thicker oil will help stop wear etc but in reality all your doing is causing less flow.. the engines designed for a specific grade by highly knowledgeable techs and extensively tested.

Having said that though you probably won't notice much of a difference using 5w30 Vs 5w40.

Another note to mention is that some models actually call for a thicker oil by the manufacturer depending on location..

For example I've seen the 2.0tfsi use 5w30 in Britain and recommend 5w40 in hotter climates in America.

The safest bet always is to use the specified oil in my opinion. Unless you know your engines shot and youre trying to get another few hundred miles out of it!

Clearances are that tight in modern engines that it's a good idea not to use the wrong oil imho

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Use 5w40 without worry. I am using Total quartz 9000 5w40 in my 1.4 tfsi. Also be careful, engine oil change quantity is 3.6 L for 1.4 tfsi.

Use 5w40 without worry. I am using Total quartz 9000 5w40 in my 1.4 tfsi. Also be careful, engine oil change quantity is 3.6 L for 1.4 tfsi.
I'd probably say it's that little of a change it's ok too but best practice is always to use the called for spec.

I've previously used 5w40 over 5w30 in a car I had an oil pressure gauge and it made little to no difference when hot.

The difference between 30 and 40 is minimal.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

n7h9xio.jpg