1.4 or 1.4 COD

Did a 90 mile round trip yesterday in mine, around 40% motorway, the rest made up of windy country roads and town traffic. DIS indicated 49.8 mpg. I was not driving slowly. (1.4 COD). In pure town driving it varies depending on the amount of start stop between around 30 mpg and 45 mpg.

Long term average (over 14k miles) is currently 41.4 mpg. Obviously this is as read on DIS but it's not *that* far off.

Let me drive your car and I'll see what I can do driving over the same journey you do keeping up with the traffic around. If I drive my car like you describe on A roads I can obtain 55-65mpg. I have often sat beside drivers whose driving is appalling when they swear that they are driving economically. I'm not suggesting you are a poor driver but its either the driving conditions or the car thats the overiding factor here.

I'm not an economical driver that's for sure - I'd agree with anyone who says that. I don't make a concious effort to conserve fuel (except on very long journeys). But I've driven other cars - albeit more powerful ones (200hp) - in the same style and seem to get better MPG. Definitely what The Ironist said - I'm trying to drive it like those other cars when I shouldn't be.

If you're Watford/North London based then you're welcome to come and drive it! Do a little car swap and compare notes.

Quite true, if you try to eek out a performance that the car isn't capable of then something's going to give :) I try to avoid London and I cannot remember the last time I was there. When I did I just took the train from where I live on the south coast, but hey, you're most welcome down here in the country...