rjod57

Hi
Does any one have any thoughts on the smallest engine in the A3 range
The MY2015 version has
110 vs 125 output
0 to 62 MPH 9.9secs Vs 9.2 secs
Top speed 123MPH Vs 128 MPH
There is also a small reduction in fuel consumption

Its £1300 cheaper than the 1.4 TFSI ! yet the performance difference is quite small and it uses a little less fuel
This version hardly gets mentioned on the forum. Any owners out there?
Many thanks :footy:

I've just ordered the 1.4TFSI CoD , which is MY15 and rated 150 output, and when I got chance to test drive it. You notice it has quite a bit of punch, and yet still delivers a decent MPG.. Is the CoD version completely out of the question for the 1.4?

Hi,

After many years driving Audi diesel's, when my A4 needed replacing earlier this year, I decided that due to the milage I do and my driving requirements, the newer diesel engines with regenerative DPF's would be too much hassle, so I looked at both the 1.2 and 1.4 TFSI's.

To be honest, it was the 'What Car' review that made me sit up and think when they said that the 1.6TDi would be the best seller due to company car tax in part, but the TFSI's were the better engine for the private buyer. So after a test drive in both models, I decided on the 1.2 model, and I can say I have been amazed at how good this car is.

As you say, it is cheaper to buy, has a VED duty band of £30, it is super quite when you are driving, and my SE model has both tyres and suspension that don't shake the fillings in your teeth (that might be my age:happy:). After 5000 miles it still leaves me with a smile every time I drive it, and it averages 50 MPG, with 60 MPG regularly showing on a run. And performance is great too, not quite up to a 1.4, but in real world driving, it is excellent.

A couple of years back I would not have contemplated a1.2, but now I can see this is the future as it makes the most efficient use of direct injection and turbo charging. The best advice I can give is drive them both and see for yourself. If you expect RS performance, you will be disappointed, but for everyday driving with a good turn of speed when needed, then the 1.2 TFSI ticks all the boxes for me.

Cheers, John

I would suggest if you go for 1.4 then the 1.4 COD 150bhp is what you want obviously if in price range.

I currently have one and the mpg is good especially considering it has a good punch to it.

Never tried 1.2 but the 1.6 TDI A1 I had was 110bhp and felt a tad too sluggish.

Look at the torque figures, they tell you more than PS and BHP for day to day driving, big difference in both the 1.4 engines

Reactions: LuisM
Hi,

After many years driving Audi diesel's, when my A4 needed replacing earlier this year, I decided that due to the milage I do and my driving requirements, the newer diesel engines with regenerative DPF's would be too much hassle, so I looked at both the 1.2 and 1.4 TFSI's.

To be honest, it was the 'What Car' review that made me sit up and think when they said that the 1.6TDi would be the best seller due to company car tax in part, but the TFSI's were the better engine for the private buyer. So after a test drive in both models, I decided on the 1.2 model, and I can say I have been amazed at how good this car is.

As you say, it is cheaper to buy, has a VED duty band of £30, it is super quite when you are driving, and my SE model has both tyres and suspension that don't shake the fillings in your teeth (that might be my age:happy:). After 5000 miles it still leaves me with a smile every time I drive it, and it averages 50 MPG, with 60 MPG regularly showing on a run. And performance is great too, not quite up to a 1.4, but in real world driving, it is excellent.

A couple of years back I would not have contemplated a1.2, but now I can see this is the future as it makes the most efficient use of direct injection and turbo charging. The best advice I can give is drive them both and see for yourself. If you expect RS performance, you will be disappointed, but for everyday driving with a good turn of speed when needed, then the 1.2 TFSI ticks all the boxes for me.

Cheers, John
AGREE TOTALLY! I have the same car ,its great.The service manager at my local Audi ordered the same car.
i will have a 1000 mile report asap.

I have the 1.2, and really happy with it. The performance is more than good enough for day to day driving. To be honest having driven the 1.4 for a day (extended test drive from the dealer :) ) I did not notice too much difference, both quick enough for me, both quiet and smooth enough with decent mpg. Mind you - I had a Merc A160 before and that was a harsh ride, noisy engine and horrendous mpg so anything would have been an improvement.

I have a 1.2 TFSI 3dr S-Line Brilliant Red on order.
Provisional build week 35 should arrive end of September.
Many thanks for your comments and opinions
Looks like I made a good choice!

Hi there,9 months into my 1.2 tfsi sportback s/line,just done a run from stoke to hastings,2 adults plus luggage,mostly m/ways 55 mpg:blackrs4: going down,52.5 coming back,just about done 5,500 miles.it will cruise all day at 80 mph.what more can I say

Good thread,, :)

Im currently at the point of debating which engine for go for in a A3 Sline Sportback.

Initial thoughts were a 1.6TDI, however due to the extra costs, it puts the monthly outgoings the same as a 1.4 TFSI (150), ok the tax band is a B v A but not a massive differance, the mpg seems pretty close too based on maybe upto 10k miles per year.

1.2 TSI gives the option of having a couple of extras but as its a Tax band C this puts the cost up a tad closer to the 1.4TFSI 150. (£30 monthly difference, )

So what im trying to ask is, how does the 1.2 TFSI drive compared to a 1.4TFSI and how do the MPG's stack up ?

Thank you

Hi mate,

I have the 1.4 Cod and never looked back.

It depends what you really want, if power doesn't bother you then 1.2 might cut it and you could get some extra options but personally for the price difference and experience i would say push to 1.4, has plenty of push and feels much quicker then a 1.4.

I get around 35mpg but that's just town driving all the time.

Who doesn't want more POWER! haha

Cheers, as this is a second car for the wife...... but will also be used as the primary family car in time when doing short ish runs, (ie within 100 miles of home with little luggage) im thinking now I will benefit from the extra power too :)

The A3 will be replacing the 1.8T MK4 GTI Golf (was more of a itch getting a fully spec'ed MK4 as we sold the MK5 TDI Golf due to the low mileage at the time.) while I will be keeping my E60 BMW. (prior to the Golf we had a Polo and a A4...)

Cheers.

I fully support all the comments about the 1.4TFSI COD - it is the smoothest engine I think I've ever owned (including 6 and 8 cylinder ones), it has an amazing turn of speed and at 109gm (Band B) and £20 a road tax it was a no brainer for me.

Review of the 1.2 here:

‘SMALL IS BEAUTIFUL?’ - Audi A3 1.2 TFSI Independent New Review (Ref:121/10076)

I would try and bag a test drive of the 1.2 if you can. 0-60 in 9.9 seconds isn't bad at all and 129lb/ft of torque is pretty much what 2.0 petrol engines were putting out 20 years ago.

Of course it always nice to have more power, but it doesn't sound like you wouldn't feel the benefit if it's a second car.

One thing to bear in mind is that the 1.2 (and possibly the 1.4 125PS) has a simpler rear suspension arrangement which may reduce comfort and increase noise slightly.

Last edited:
Hi, I have the 1.4 TFSI DSG 7 speed auto MY 14 Sportback and in my view it is a very satisfying drive on limited freeways and around town. I guess I speak with some experience having previously had a 2002 A3 Hatch 1.8litre non turbo which produced 92kw. My new car is only 90kw but it seems really much faster than the old car in the lower to mid range - haven't had a chance to open it up yet. I would definitely recommend the 1.4 TFSI for those considering entry level purchase of 8V

Review of the 1.2 here:

‘SMALL IS BEAUTIFUL?’ - Audi A3 1.2 TFSI Independent New Review (Ref:121/10076)

I would try and bag a test drive of the 1.2 if you can. 0-60 in 9.9 seconds isn't bad at all and 129lb/ft of torque is pretty much what 2.0 petrol engines were putting out 20 years ago.

Of course it always nice to have more power, but it doesn't sound like you wouldn't feel the benefit if it's a second car.

One thing to bear in mind is that the 1.2 (and possibly the 1.4 125PS) has a simpler rear suspension arrangement which may reduce comfort and increase noise slightly.

The 1.4 125 has the same multi-link rear suspension as all the other engine variants.

Audi did choose to use the 1.4TFSi in the eTron for good reason..
Work it out.