1.0 TFSI Opinions

MarcrA3

Reaction score
I'd like to hear your experience and thoughts about the 1 liter engine. I've read about it being good around town, but how is on the motorway? And do you think it's a big downgrade coming from a 1.4 PFL A3?

Thanks in advance!

I had a Suzuki Alto 1.1 liter engine before, driving on the motorway with 4 people in the car - don't do it!

Reactions: MarcrA3
There have been comments on here saying that the 1.0 is surprisingly good.
However, if you are choosing between the two, then it's a no brainer to go with the 1.4. It's generally accepted to be a superb engine.

Best thing to do is get down to a dealer and test drive them yourself. Make sure you include a section of dual carriageway where you can get upto 60mph.
If it's anything like the 1.0 TFSI Polo I drove they are nippy but you have to work it a bit harder than the 1.2 TFSI we eventually bought. There is a bit of Thrum as well from the 3cyl engine. maybe not so noticeable in an A3 but definitely was in a Polo.

Its a great engine. I've had mine since September and covered 8k miles, averaging 50mpg.

It is more than capable on the motorway, never have to change down etc.

I wanted to keep monthly payments down - got it on a 10k per year for 3 years no deposit £250 per month.

It is at least £1k cheaper over 3 years than the 1.4 would have been.

Reactions: MarcrA3
Thanks for your intelligent contribution :whistle2:

I'd have said by virtue of doing the maths it was an "intelligent" contribution.

I just can't see the point in "making do" with the 1.0TFSI to save 91p a day. It's just not worth the downgrade, and yes I've driven both. If saving 91p a day is important to you, it's more than likely you'd be better of NOT buying into a prestige brand.

Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3
I’ve had my 1.0 TFSI since September and have covered just over 14000 miles now. I have to say it’s a cracking little engine and for a 3 cylinder its refinement is really good, bar the odd shake on start-up.

I commute a 100 round trip to work each day and most of this is hilly A-roads through the outer Yorkshire Dales. The only time I find it down on power is when confronted with a really step incline and I’m not going quickly enough. One flat road is does feel quite quick for what it is and it does have a little bit on a kick back in 2nd and 3rd gear. It does run out of puff near the top end though.

With regards to the motorway I have done many 250miles trips and car has no problems at all and quite happily keeps up with traffic when putting your foot down in 6th. I would however say that all of my driving has been done with just me in the car so with a few passengers and luggage all of the above might not apply. I think a test drive would be the best bet.

Just to mention though my partner has got a FL 1.4 and the refine is better on that than the 1.0 but that’s expected with the extra cylinder to balance. Driving it does feel slightly smoother as well and a lot more capable but then again it’s a better engine. End of the day it all depends on what you want and what you want to pay, and whether it’s worth the extra.

Reactions: MarcrA3 and KenL
Just had a look on the Audi finance calculator. For £0 down the larger engine is £45 more per month. £1620 over 3 years - quite a lot if the smaller engine meets your needs.

Right thanks guys. I've done a test drive in an 1.0 S-Tronic and i didn't like it very much. It took too long to get a response when putting your foot down, especially in 7th gear. Which it's in at least half of the time. Gonna see if i can test drive a manual anytime soon.

Drove this engine as a manual Seat, had a really nice characteristic thrum I thought, like half a Porsche flat 6 :) Low speed driving was ok, it didnt seem that comfortable on the motorway despite it still being relatively smooth.
1.4 TFSI is a great engine too and would be my choice.