09 A3 2.0tdi oil level warning (red)

CjD

Reaction score
Hi all.

I own a 2009 A3 2.0tdi (CBA).

I recently did headgasket on my vehicle and service. All is well, vehicle starts fine and all levels are perfect.

When vehicle is at idle its okay but as soon as i rev the car to about 1900rpm i get a red oil level warning light appearing on the dash and as soon as i let the revs down it dissapears after a few seconds.

Please not that it does this at a standstill and also if i try to drive it.

Any ideas?

Delphi scanning tool does not pick up and faults.

Appreciate any and all helpful information.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Red is oil pressure. My thought is the oil pick up is blocked, so you need to drop the sump and replace/clean the oil pick up

Red is oil pressure. My thought is the oil pick up is blocked, so you need to drop the sump and replace/clean the oil pick up
I did notice that some of the headgasket holes were slightly smaller on the new gasket. Could this cause an issue? Guy at the shop said it wouldnt make a difference.

I did notice that some of the headgasket holes were slightly smaller on the new gasket. Could this cause an issue? Guy at the shop said it wouldnt make a difference.
I'm sure the oil ways are open enough, for it to fall back to the sump

Iv also ised
I'm sure the oil ways are open enough, for it to fall back to the sump
Okay thank you. One last thing, i usually use a 5w30 spec oil and i was advised to use a 10w40 this time round as my mileage is now 200000km.

Could this possibly be a factor as the oil is thicker? Maybe not flowing as quickly through the motor as the 5w30?

Just throwing this in there, but would you get this warning if the engine was over full, and the pressure went too high?

Normally its just below the oil filter block.
If its the same as my BKD engine then its just an oil pressure switch, not a pressure transducer. I found it would not complain on idle, only when I started driving it would then flag up a problem.
I used VCDS and could see that it was not registering pressure at all.
Its a cheap part but was a pita to change as I did not have crow foot spanners.