06 A4 Cabriolet gearbox issue...

06A4Cab

Reaction score
Whilst driving on the M3 I noticed white smoke coming from the rear of the car... pulled over... no indications on the instrument panel... unsure of what to do but wanted to get off M3. Went to pull away and heard big clunk sound... moved maybe 20ft. Long story short... massive oil leak from gearbox. Palaver with RAC finally got to Chingford Audi who have just quoted me £6.6k to fix [bought car 2nd hand Nov16 for £4k] = write-off ?!?.
Is it worth getting a 2nd hand gearbox [and oil cooler + pipes] and getting a non-Audi dealer to fit it ?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Loved the car up until the clunk !

Whilst driving on the M3 I noticed white smoke coming from the rear of the car... pulled over... no indications on the instrument panel... unsure of what to do but wanted to get off M3. Went to pull away and heard big clunk sound... moved maybe 20ft. Long story short... massive oil leak from gearbox. Palaver with RAC finally got to Chingford Audi who have just quoted me £6.6k to fix [bought car 2nd hand Nov16 for £4k] = write-off ?!?.
Is it worth getting a 2nd hand gearbox [and oil cooler + pipes] and getting a non-Audi dealer to fit it ?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Loved the car up until the clunk !

Conclusion to this saga
Had car delivered to Bristol Gearbox Centre [bristolgearboxsentre.com] who fitted a new pipe and refilled the gearbox with oil and the car was reborn. £350 and that included £130 for them to pick up my car from E10 in London. :racer:

Reactions: Retroman
Nice one mate that saved you 6K, it always pays to shop around.
Does anyone use Chingford Audi.