1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Server Issues [Search] 21-22/07/18

We are currently rebuilding the site's search index due to an earlier database problem, so search results will be incomplete for a time. The process happens quite quickly, and we'll be keeping an eye on it. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience in the meantime.

Thanks for your patience.

ASN Admin
    Dismiss Notice

'06 A3 S-Line 2.0 Tdi 140

cj-46 Feb 10, 2018

1. cj-46

cj-46 New Member

Afternoon guys & gals.
    After my previous car got t-boned and written-off I got myself this A3 as it had nion a full years MOT and looked tidy enough when I looked at it & test drove it.
    Service history is only missing 1 or 2 stamps but the receipts for all the parts are in the pack I got with the car.
    It's on 180k miles - had the cambelt done within the last 10k, I've had the turbo (incl. Oil Flush) and oil cooler done within the last 2k miles and I had it serviced about 600miles ago. Had a compression test done on it (as I read they can go quite often on these - just as a precaution while the garage had it in, did it for nothing as I had them do all the other bits for me) - the reason for the detail is that I'm finding it's still got a bit of, lets say.. 'character'.
    1. Econ light is always on.. puzzled me for a while but after looking I've realised theres a pipe next to the off-side fan in the engine bay that looks like it was once leaning on the fan and has an indent in it - would no pressure in the system cause the Econ light to stay on all the time?(although with the latest temps on the morning work run (around -4degrees C) the light does stay off for the morning drive, yet the drive home it's back on..) - due to the outside temp being read as the expected aircon temp I guess??
    2. When the cars IGN is on the fans kick in and stay on until I turn the car off completely.. and from what I can tell they stay running while I'm driving too - any ideas on this??
    3. The DIS is tempermental when driving, yet with the IGN on and ENG off it stays on all the time - could this just be a dodgy connector giving issues from the engine vibrations?
    4. Before I had the turbo, oil cooler and service done all 3 buttons on the keyfob worked fine.. now it won't unlock the car, yet it will still lock the doors and unlock the boot.
    So now I have to unlock the car with the key (not too bothered if I'm honest) but if I don't put the key in the IGN within 5-10 secs the alarm starts going off.. is this common? (And no.. I don't have a spare key to try to see if it's the battery in the fob - but as the other 2 are working I assumed this wouldn't be the issue??)
    5. I'm getting some mayo-like gunk under the filler cap.. as I only do a 12-15mile round trip every weekday I'm putting it down to moisture build-up on the shorter runs or.. 'it needs a long run or 2' - dip stick is pure black (eg. Only oil - no 'mayo' on it at all) coolant level only dropped once after the system flush so I put that down to a little air in the system from the oil cooler change? Should I worry about this or just make sure I give it an oil change every 5k or so??

Thanks in advance people for any replies - much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk