034 Motorsport Cat to Exhaust blowing

norad97

Reaction score
So drive home from work Thursday evening, car suddenly developed an exhaust blowing, so carried on to home, opened the bonnet ans could see bolts at exhaust to Cat loose and one missing. Put my arm right down from engine bay to confirm, cut up my are alot.
So called my Audi mechanic who`s garage fitted it and me up with him today even though he was closed he had a look.
I told him there are not any nuts fitted on the bolts? but on inspection he says there is no way you can fit bolts and nuts as the bolt will not fit, as the the Cat pipe is bigger an closer to the mounting hole so the head of the bolt will not sit flat.
The guy who works with him fitted the three bolts from the exhaust flange to the cat threaded flange, this means the bolts will become loose and fall out.
Our solution is to fit the studs to the exhaust flange, connect the exhaust flange and fit nuts. this will work but studs need to be really tight of tack welded to secure.
I will go back after Easter to take it all off again, he just tightend the bolts for no to keep me going.
What I dont get is the fitting kit had three bolts and nuts yet the holes for the bolt are to close to the pipe,
so how was it going to fit??

I know the answer Richard, very straight forward one, the bolts and nuts can be used.

I thought this when I fitted mine so I cut the flange off and fitted a v band

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ok I know it sounds abit odd, but bear in mind I have the new designed Cat for the B7, the holes are so close to the pipe you could not get a bolt head to clear the pipe.we fitted the bolts in reverse for now just till after Easter.

Attachments

• 20190420_123406.jpg
    20190420_123406.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 183
this is mine , looks prettywell the same Richard, I will get some pics of the joint as I have mine with nut and bolt fixing.

IMG 0532 1

just had look and I do in fact only have bolts fitted, strange as i was sure I used nuts aswell, anyway these have been in since I fitted the cat and re-used with the later replaced down pipe.
never had any probs with them or leaking.

IMG 1845

Well at least im not talking crap,
So why give you nuts if they dont fit?
The correct way would be bolts on the Cat side and nuts after the Exhaust flange to pull then to gether, but you cannot do this? Just using bolts you run the risk of coming loose because of heat and cooling.
I no yours are still ok Rob, maybe mine were not tightened enough.
But im still going to use studs and nuts, studs need to be tack welded or peened with a punch to stop the undoing.
My decat pipe had 3 welded studs, now I no why.

Maybe they weren't tightened enough Richard, its allways possible, I agree studs would be better though , so another mod to add to list , good luck with it.

Thanks Rob, but I am contacing 034 Motosport to complain about it, they should weld studs instead of giving nuts you cannot use.

Just to clarify Richard, which nuts are you referring to, the 4 nuts I had with mine were for the manifold side, I didn't get any nuts or bolts for the downpipe side, I just used some from my spares tin.

Hi Rob, the kit supplied has 4 nuts for the turbo side or maifold side, and 3 bolts and nuts for the exhaust to Cat, like in your picture.
But you cannot fit the bolts the correct way and use nuts.

ok, I only had the 4 turbo side nuts with the cat so just used some spare bolts from my spares box for the down pipe, been fine thus far.
I did use spring washers with the bolts so may account for why they have stayed nipped up.

Hi Rob, Yes spring washers will work good, maybe thats the way to go then, makes sence.