01535 error - Headlight range control defective

Lmcc87

Reaction score
I got the headlight range control defective light thrown on the dash and upon connecting VCDS I get the code 01535. Bought VCDS to try and fault find and fix this issue so new to this, anyone had this error? Lots of info on the net about the light being thrown but not on this error that I can find.

A bit of background, car is a 2011 TT Quattro with bixenon adaptive lightning, 30K on clock, lights are adaptive and work until the light is thrown on the dash after which will not self level and move side to side, turning car off and on resets them and they work fine until the light is thrown again, light only seems to be thrown after steering wheel moves 90deg+ to the right which makes me think could be a sensor issue and not a motor issue like listed below but I could be completely wrong!?

Also can anyone tell me exactly where the levelling sensors are on a Quattro car/any Quattro Audi? I have seen a lot of posts stating there is one sensor on front and back axle..this throws me it looks like I have a sensor connected to every control arm. And on them sensors, to my untrained eye they all look ok and not damaged.

Any help is much appreciated regarding any Audi model where you have had this issue. Thanks

01535 - Control Circuit for Right Headlight Range Adjusting Motor (V49)
010 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101010
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 4
Mileage: 47432 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2016.06.16
Time: 20:10:12

That points to the headlight at fault, not the level sensor.

Swap lights & see if the same error comes up on the opposite side, if so then you know its a headlight issues.

If its an non led drl version, then I have a et of adaptive tt mk2 headlights for sale, only issue is I wont break them apart I'm afraid.

The mag ride system has a sensor in each corner, standard suspension has 1 front 1 back for levelling.

Well, sorry to bring back such an old thread. Just finished retrofitting my bixenon headlight with auto levelling and I get the below error. I assume it’s the motor for the levelling on the right headlight? If so, how easy to change!? Can it be changed and if yes, anyone has the part number before I have to take the bumper off!! As not got that much time with 12hour shifts every day! Thanks in advance!

So sorry, my signal is rubbish and the screenshot didn’t get uploaded!! I’ll have to type it!
01535 - control circuit for right headlight range adjusting motor (V49)
010- open or short to plus - mil on
Car is Audi A3 2009

38459AC0 BFE5 460B B9AD F7977559796E

Just an update... as per NHNs 1st reply I managed to swap the headlights and got the same error again. Does that mean that it could be a wiring problem? Maybe kufatec did another mistake on those? Or could it be something else still?