0-60 time & MAX speed after REMAP.....

Redstorm

Reaction score
Guys, I am looking for info on what result the following modifications are likely to have on max speed and 0-60 times. I am looking to buy a 2001/02 A4 2.5 TDI Quattro 180 BHP ( I fancy the Quattro partly for the improved road holding and partly as I have been told it will cope with the modifications I want to do better - apparently once you start getting into higher BHP figures front wheel drive only starts to spin as it cant cope with the power???) with a view to doing some mild(ish) tuning. I would appreciate any comments or opinions as well as advice from all forum members. The list below is what I am considering.

1. Probably the most obvious choice - A remap of the ECU, comments & advice welcome on best companies please ( I read there is a thread on here with opinions / poll on the best companies - please can someone post a link). Also is there a mod available that lets you choose from a number of different programs e.g. Economy, Normal and sport or +20 BHP / +40 BHP / +60BHP as an example?

2. I read that increase the nozzle / injector sizes is a cheap and efficient power upgrade. Apparently a good idea if you do a remap, again comments welcome.

3. Upgrading the turbo. I have seen a company online, JBS, who seem to do a lot for VAG cars, I have read its possible to get over 200 BHP from upgrading the turbo on a standard 1.9 TDI 130 BHP engine. I want to know if this is the gain simply from changing the turbo or is this also including the remap? advice on other suppliers also welcomed

4. LPG Fumigation system. I read and understand that by adding LPG fumigation (the Diesel world equivalent of NOS) you not only gain BHP but improve MPG / efficiency by improving the amount of diesel actually burnt. Typically improving efficiency from around 75% upto 90%. Is this true and could it work in conjunction with all the above? I also believe this actually cleans the engine too?? Can this mod improve MPG as well or only give a power boost?

Also is there any point in adding NOS to a diesel fitted with an LPG fumigation system? DO the two systems not basically do the same thing?

I also just read an impressive review about a company call Allard Motor Co. who tuned an A3 2.0 TDI to 317 BHP, does anyone know if they are any good?

Finally I am still trying to find some reviews / road tests online of some modded TDI's Audi or VW I am not too bothered, I just want to get an idea of what effect the above modifications might have on 0-60 times and top speeds as well as MPG efficiency figures. Most of the reviews (and its not that many) that I have found seem to concerntrate on bragging about the BHP and Torque, but I want to know what this translates to on the open roads.

Looking forward to your comments

I have to ask: "why the 2.5TDI"?

Don't get me wrong: it's a great engine and I've very, very pleased with the combination of economy, torque and performance, but you sound like you're likely to completely trash the economy with the mods you're after... and also sounds like you're after pure perfoamance, so maybe at 1.8T Quattro would be a better bet as they're cheaper to buy and due to the Audi TT 225 donor parts, they can be much more easilly upgraded to around 300-350bhp and they're a LOT lighter than a v6 TDI lump.

If you are still after the 2.5TDI: With basic remap and minor tweaks I believe you can get the bhp up to around 220bhp quite easilly and although this pushes your torque up by 20% at the higher end of the rev range... it will actually push it up a LOT more than that at lwoer revs: as a result I would say you can get the 0-60mph time from 8.1sec down to around 7.0-7.5secs reasonably easilly. But if you're planning on doign that 0-60mph very often, then budget for a new clutch too: there's a reason why Audi don't make all that torque available from 1200rpm normally....

Any turbo change would require a custom remap to fully make use of the new capacity of the turbo.

No idea on the LPG option.

Due to the torque drop off around 4500-5000rpm, you won't change the top speed: all these turbo / remap injector options do NOT increase your rev range, they jsut ramp up your torque for the same effective rev range... I'm not sure if there's a "high lift cams" equivalent for diesel engines, but they're big heavy lumps and revving freely through a long rev range is jsut no in their nature... even if you're getting around 250bhp you probably won't get more than an extra 2-3mph.... UNLESS you completely change the gearbox :) Different story then!

Thanks for the reply, interesting answers I have to say. I am going to go for the TDI as I have been an avid fan of diesels for over 10 years. Last car being a BMW 320D which I was very impressed with but I am after a 4wheel drive this time around and I prefer the interior of the Audi's. I also think Audi's are better built than BMW's these days.

I suppose my requirements are almost a contradiction in terms really, I want the economy of a diesel, indeed the improved economy that a remap will bring. However I want the power and torque that "modding" will result in either for those "motorway moments" or just when its time to play. Maybe I wont need ALL the mods I listed in my orignal post but wanted comments from knowledgable / experienced forum members on the efficiency of each of them. I am sure some will offer more bang for the buck than others. Some might actually cost a fair bit and offer little in terms of a performance increase. I figured a turbo upgrade since I thought maybe the standard turbo would be stretched to get over 200 BHP.

Subject to cost implications I would go for a medium turbo upgrade to get me up toward the 250 BHP area and so it wasnt working so hard when a milder boost program / gentler driving style was employed

Commets please

I don't think you would get the 0-60 much under 7 with the 2.5 as it's so low geared! First is literally only enough to get you rolling.... You would get some very impressive in gear times which are more useful in the real world anyway. I have always understood the fuel pump and the injectors are the restricting thing on the 2.5, without work on them 210-220 is about the maximum.

Have a read of the last few pages of fjtwelve's brilliant 2.5 tuning thread HERE