0-100 kph in 5 seconds with DTUK box?!

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
So I've decided to record the time my car took to reach 100 kph with launch control and the DTUK box at it's most aggressive setting and I could only manage a time of 5 seconds.

I've seen claims of 3.8 seconds or so so why is my car not performing like it should. Could it be the weather?

It is a little humid with an outside temperature of 30C and I did two runs at sea level pretty much. The car had half a tank of gas and only myself as a passenger.

Maybe it's because the car only has like 3000 kms on the odometer. Anyone got any ideas? I'm kinda ****** off right now.

How were you timing it ?, were you using launch control ? . what fuel are you using. Hotter temps won't help the power, try lowering the tyre pressures a little.

What method did you use to time it?

1 elephant, 2 elephant, 3 elephant, 4 elephant, oh that looks like 60 now, 5 elephants?

Stopwatch?

If you're not using a racelogic vbox/pbox, there's no point to the thread.

Launch control used? Fuel quality used?

Sorry mate, but there are tons of videos, vbox charts, 1/4 mile time slips and so on across both the S3 and Golf R and hundreds of owners showing the box is capable of sub 4 second runs.

A standard Audi S3 on Launch control will do 0-60 in mid 4, never mind one with an additional 60-70hp.

Edit....Its my opinion, tuning boxes shouldn't be used in hot climates. That's probably your answer right there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Martinbanshee, veeeight and S3Alex
I think there is something wrong with your car. Friday afternoon lemon it would appear.

I'm not sure about the car being a lemon,but it's being treated pretty badly irrespective of that.
The car should be logged under road conditions if he's really that keen on sorting it out.

You have a very good point about the timing method,but I think that not only is the timing method open to error,but if you look at what has happened before,with the car being flogged to the point of shutting down due to overheating,that there is a more serious problem with the way it's being used.

Your point about the DTUK box and it's times is of course correct,but dimitri needs to sort the cooling and other issues before wrecking the car.

To answer your questions I am using 98 RON fuel which is the highest grade available here.

I used a stopwatch while launching the car and got 4.96 and 5 seconds twice.

The car did not overheat and does not overheat in such circumstances. I always keep the temps in check when driving the car hard but for now can anyone explain the crap time? the car should be over a second quicker than it is!

Could it be the outside air temp with humidity slowing me down so much? Can't think of any other factors.

There are other (more expensive) methods, but the de-facto method of measuring, on a flat road, in both directions, is with a Racelogic Pbox/Vbox.

Anything else (iPhone app, stopwatch etc.) is pure guesswork.

http://store-uk.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=18&product_id=46
http://store-uk.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=18&product_id=50

Also - what is your engine code, you may have the de-tuned engine version for hot climates.
More:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/hello-from-dubai-s3.239222/#post-2396339

How flat is the road you're testing on? I'd have thought that even a slight incline (that you can't easily see) could have a significant effect on times.

How flat is the road you're testing on? I'd have thought that even a slight incline (that you can't easily see) could have a significant effect on times.

That's why you must do it in both directions, and take the average, if you really want accuracy :)

There are other (more expensive) methods, but the de-facto method of measuring, on a flat road, in both directions, is with a Racelogic Pbox/Vbox.

Anything else (iPhone app, stopwatch etc.) is pure guesswork.

http://store-uk.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=18&product_id=46
http://store-uk.vboxmotorsport.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=18&product_id=50

Also - what is your engine code, you may have the de-tuned engine version.

I also tried using torquepro app on my phone connected to a OBDII bluetooth adaptor and it gave me a best time of 6.8 seconds from 0-100 kph for some reason. What could i be doing wrong?

I know a stopwatch isn't ideal but it should still give me an idea of how quick the car is relative to other users.

Any other ideas?

To my eyes it look as flat as a road could be.

Alright then how can i be certain a road is flat?

I don't know how accurate you'd have to be as you're already looking at differences of less than a second.

Google Earth has a rough and ready elevation reading but it's only accurate to the nearest meter.

Other than that, try and access somewhere that's pretty much guaranteed to be flat (e.g. runway?).

I was advised by Simon at DTUK to try all the programs with the +2 and +3 setting since I might have a heat issue in this weather.

I was advised by Simon at DTUK to try all the programs with the +2 and +3 setting since I might have a heat issue in this weather.

I think you're answering your own question here.

If you look at the problems you had hammering up a hill in hot weather,and the apparent lack of performance on 0-60 runs,then you already have the answer.
You're expecting too much from the car under hot conditions.

Attend to engine cooling,air inlet temps and then try again.....persisting in trying to extract a time from the car when it's hobbled by hot climate,lower than optimal RON fuel,and high intake temps is a strategy that will not work.
Given your climate,WMI would be a very sensible option.

I think you're answering your own question here.

If you look at the problems you had hammering up a hill in hot weather,and the apparent lack of performance on 0-60 runs,then you already have the answer.
You're expecting too much from the car under hot conditions.

Attend to engine cooling,air inlet temps and then try again.....persisting in trying to extract a time from the car when it's hobbled by hot climate,lower than optimal RON fuel,and high intake temps is a strategy that will not work.
Given your climate,WMI would be a very sensible option.

Yes but how exactly can I control the inlet air temperature? Guess I'll just have to wait for winter to come around.

What is WMI?

Yes but how exactly can I control the inlet air temperature? Guess I'll just have to wait for winter to come around.

What is WMI?

I think we went through some of this before....

There are two things which you can do to reduce air inlet temps:

1.A bigger,more efficient intercooler will help,but the best it can achieve is to hold inlet temps to around 7-10C ABOVE ambient.
2.Water/methanol injection (WMI) has 2 major benefits,the first being cooling of the incoming airflow via vaporisation of a 50/50 mixture of water and methanol into the air post intercooler,and the second being the RON raising effect of the mixture.

For someone running a car hard,in hot conditions,this can be very useful,especially where a small turbo is being pushed hard.

Many WMI systems such as Devil's Own and AEM,are very simple to set up and relatively easy to install.

How do you rate your error margin on pressing a stopwatch in sync with launching the car? As said above, if you're so bothered about 0-60 (why!?) then use the proper equipment.

How do you rate your error margin on pressing a stopwatch in sync with launching the car? As said above, if you're so bothered about 0-60 (why!?) then use the proper equipment.

I ain't got 500$ to buy "proper equipment" and how wrong could I be? 0.2 seconds at most!

I ain't got 500$ to buy "proper equipment" and how wrong could I be? 0.2 seconds at most!

My last words on this saga....if you want good performance,I'd invest in the things I've mentioned.

1.Log the car and find out what the fuelling,air temps etc are doing,so you know what needs fixing.
2.Add WMI and a big intercooler.
3.Don't expect it to perform as well in very hot conditions as a car would in cold conditions.

For goodness sake - the car does 0 to 60 in 5 seconds. That's pretty fast. Just enjoy driving the car and don't get wound up by unimportant details.

I don't know how accurate you'd have to be as you're already looking at differences of less than a second.

Google Earth has a rough and ready elevation reading but it's only accurate to the nearest meter.

Other than that, try and access somewhere that's pretty much guaranteed to be flat (e.g. runway?).

runways arent flat and have slopes, have a look at leeds or bristol :)

Then god knows where you'd find a flat piece of land!

Astroturf pitch?

Frozen lake?

Salt flat?

6539713653_979dc7e536_b.jpg

Leedds

Reactions: a3_phil
As I've said before ....

You've got to time it in both directions on the same bit of road, then take the average!

:p

Veeeight, I reckon your earlier response is the right one.

Sure I read that S3's are detuned for hot climates and Lebanon would surely qualify there?

Reactions: veeeight
Absolutely Simon, @drummerdimitri stated back in April that S3s in Lebanon are rated at 280 hp. I know that many Audis in Saudi Arabia are down rated because of the adverse temperatures.

Reactions: Simon L
How long have you had it Dimitri? Because you're going to kill it very shortly. It's clearly too hot and stuffy for the car anyway, let alone that it's brand new and you've whacked on a tuning box and are larrupping about in it like you've just stolen it. Chill out, it's a new car - let it loosen up. Ideally take that box off for a couple of thousand miles if the damage isn't already done!
Oh and ask Audi for an owners manual if one didn't come with the car?!

Reactions: S3Alex and Simon L
How long have you had it Dimitri? Because you're going to kill it very shortly. It's clearly too hot and stuffy for the car anyway, let alone that it's brand new and you've whacked on a tuning box and are larrupping about in it like you've just stolen it. Chill out, it's a new car - let it loosen up. Ideally take that box off for a couple of thousand miles if the damage isn't already done!
Oh and ask Audi for an owners manual if one didn't come with the car?!

My point exactly.

Get the car properly sorted for the conditions,and only then try hooning it around.
But...a few of us have tried to tell him this already.....

Seems like a detuned car for weather conditions or like Alex said, sort your cooling out.

A stopwatch isn't exactly the best method, try recording it and then checking timing.

If you're after monster performance sell the S3 and get a Subaru, cheap, bit of mods will make it fly.

Seems like a detuned car for weather conditions or like Alex said, sort your cooling out.

A stopwatch isn't exactly the best method, try recording it and then checking timing.

If you're after monster performance sell the S3 and get a Subaru, cheap, bit of mods will make it fly.

I agree Dimitri hasn't exactly covered himself in glory here but I'd like to think he hasn't quite lost his marbles enough to wanna downgrade from an S3 to a Subaru!! ;)

Thanks for the replies guys and yes I understand that hot temperature are bad and the car is the "detuned" 280 hp version but I've learned to accept that it performs the way it does and will just have to wait for winter to come to get the most out of the car.

I don't drive it hard all the time so you shouldn't worry about "frying" the engine. I was just running some tests being a new car and all to see how it performed.

I've been playing around with the boost settings and if the car ever overheats again I promise to lower the settings on the tuning box and try again.

I'd be very surprised if you were accurate down to 0.2s. Bear in mind you've got an error margin at the start and the end. Plus the general error margin on any measuring device is assumed to be +- the smallest increment, unless stated otherwise. You could be a second or more out.

I'd be very surprised if you were accurate down to 0.2s. Bear in mind you've got an error margin at the start and the end. Plus the general error margin on any measuring device is assumed to be +- the smallest increment, unless stated otherwise. You could be a second or more out.

You'd be surprised :end of discction:

Reactions: S3Alex
You'd be surprised :end of discction:

I think there are a few things which might cause surprise in this thread,not the least of which is the difficulty in getting facts across.

Dimitri may be confusing the idea of us "worrying" about the car with advice on how to get the best from it.
It's not my car,so frankly I'm not worried about it,but there are better ways of getting the most from it reliably.

So let me get this straight, and forgive me if this sounds rude.

You knowingly have a detuned version of the S3 due to your extremely hot climate.

The temperatures in your country are really very warm compared to the UK.

Yet you are annoyed and wondering why your S3 doesn't do 0-60 in 3.8 like what the folks have been getting here in the UK?

Isn't this fairly self explanatory? You have a S3 that is at the very least probably around 30hp down but yet you expect it to perform like a UK car.

Just saying

Reactions: S3Alex