£8k enough to get a decent A1?

mr.raw

Reaction score
In the process of selling my B7 A4 Cab.
I am currenty doing about 14k miles a year and my heart tells me the 1.6tdi A1 is the one to go for.

I would ideally like a auto but maybe the manual and my 8k budget will only get me the manual.

My A4 cab does 35mpg on the motorway and i ideally want 45mpg min on the A1.

Would the 1.6 tdi tick the boxes?

AFAIK the 1.6 tdi with S-Tronic was only introduced on the 2015 facelift. Prior to this the only auto option was the 1.4tfsi.

With my cruise set to 70 I can get 60mpg easily, on a journey back from London (about 160 miles) and cruise set to 80, I got 65mpg.

Even cruising in the high 90's will get you at least 45mpg, so it should tick all your boxes!

Reactions: mr.raw
Thank for the reply. Been reading the A1 forums lots and it seems a mixed bag on the 1.6 tdi in regard to power and actual mpg. Part of me thinks mayber the 1.4tfsi and get 45mpg maybe. Decisions! :)

I won't lie, I'm massively disappointed with the MPG i'm getting, especially considering it's advertised at around 70-80mpg.

As with most modern diesels, you need to be doing seriously long motorway runs for it to reach it's maximum efficiency. I do 20k miles a year and on my 80 mile round trip (45 motorway miles) I get about 55mpg. Traffic seems to be the biggest killer, I've had the DIS showing less than 20mpg average!

Power is ok, the A1 is a 5 speed box but the A3 with the same engine gets the 6 speed box. Having driven both, the A3's ratio's seem much better spaced. On the A1, 5th could do with being a bit longer, and if you're giving it the beans going from 2nd to 3rd you could fit another gearbox in the gap it's that big!

I hope that gives you a bit of an insight. I'd go petrol - smoother, quieter and diesel fuel stinks I'm hoping when my lease is up I'll be back at the green pump!

Reactions: mr.raw
I won't lie, I'm massively disappointed with the MPG i'm getting, especially considering it's advertised at around 70-80mpg.

As with most modern diesels, you need to be doing seriously long motorway runs for it to reach it's maximum efficiency. I do 20k miles a year and on my 80 mile round trip (45 motorway miles) I get about 55mpg. Traffic seems to be the biggest killer, I've had the DIS showing less than 20mpg average!

Power is ok, the A1 is a 5 speed box but the A3 with the same engine gets the 6 speed box. Having driven both, the A3's ratio's seem much better spaced. On the A1, 5th could do with being a bit longer, and if you're giving it the beans going from 2nd to 3rd you could fit another gearbox in the gap it's that big!

I hope that gives you a bit of an insight. I'd go petrol - smoother, quieter and diesel fuel stinks I'm hoping when my lease is up I'll be back at the green pump!
I am starting to think the 1.4 petrol is a better buy as if I was only getting 50mpg on a diesel I would not be happy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk