Hid kit - Diy guide for the b6

Ryanmt

Reaction score
Just done this modification, i spent a while searching the forum in regards to what kit to get etc. Quite alot of it was outdated, so as of 2010 this is the score with B6 Hid kits.

Shopping for a kit

This is a minefield, every man and his dog is selling kits. Alot claim to have special "a4" kits or "canbus kits we have had specifically designed". Its all rubbish! There are only a handful of manufacturers for these kits and it all comes from china, there are some that have slightly better quality ballasts than others but the people charging £100 plus are just making more profit. The variation in cost to them between the cheap and the expensive ones is £5 max.

What you want for the A4 is a H7 kit, in the kit you get 2x bulbs, and 2x ballasts. Some come with an optional relay kit, you don't need this on the A4. You do on the A3.

Ok first off - the standard style kit
Car_HID_xenon_kit_H7.jpg

This is the basic kit.

Will it bring up the bulb error : yes
Does it fit well : It can.. but the ballast is large, if you intend to use the area under the headlight its not ideal.

Slimline ballasts

slimline-ballast.jpg

This is usually a few quid dearer, it comes with a slimline ballast, but as a result you end up with the igniter in a separate box. So volume wise its not any smaller really

Will it bring up a bulb error: yes
Does it fit well : yes, these fit neatly under the headlamp and you can put the igniter inside the lamp itself.

Ok, so now we get in to the "can bus" ones. The theory behind the system is the cars ecu sends a weak voltage down the bulb to check for resistance of the bulb element. Since its a HID ballast plugged in it flags up an error.

Older style Canbus kits

Now alot of companies are selling "specially developed can bus kits". Which are one of the above kits but with this thrown in the box:
can-bus-hid-warning-canceller.jpg

They come in a few different designs but the basics are that they have 2 wires in and 2 wires out, and go in between the H7 connector and the ballast itself. They put a load onto the circuit which fools the ecu into thinking the bulb is connected ok. They go under the name of canbus cancelers or sometimes load resistors.

Do they bring up a bulb error: no!
Do they fit well: Same as above really, but you will struggle to get the canceler and the igniter in the box.

The latest style of hid kit, and in my opinion the one to go for. Is the genuine canbus kits with the slimline ballast.

This is not just a kit with the optional canceler thrown in, the canceler is built in and as a result theres less connectors and the canceler box is alot smaller. Giving you the best chance of a neat install

35w-canbus-mc-kit.jpg

I got mine from a company called lightec-autostyle. They sell the exact kit above, I got a prototype unit but they are awaiting stock of new kit. Just contact them if you want them to let you know when its arrived. Im not sure how much they will be, i think its gonna be about 10-15 dearer than their existing kits though. They also have a thicker than average metal case on them - so less EM radiation and chance of it bringing up an ABS fault

http://lightec-autostyle.co.uk/

Color rating (6000k etc)

hid_photos_compare.jpg

The number rating stands for how hot the bulb runs in kelvin.

The hotter the rating of bulb (higher number) the more if shifts up the spectrum to blues and then purple. As a result you also get LESS visible light with a higher number

OEM is 4300k ish, most people go for 6000k which provides a nice white/blue tone.

Fitting

First job is to remove the headlights, easy job really.
Here is a picture guide posted by another member: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=101033&p=1033950#post1033950
Remove - 2x T30s on the top of the lights
Remove half way - 2x T30s on the back of the lights near the bottom. Removing the air feed pipe is required and removing the 10mm bolts on the pas tank may help.
Slide the headlight forward to gain better access to the clip, fiddly job but use a screwdriver to push the tab down and the connector slides off.

If you flip the headlight upside down you can see where the OEM hid ballast would have gone. If you have bought a slimline ballast it should sit in there quite nice.

Theres another guide on this bit too which is pretty similar to how ive done it.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=70212&pagenumber=

Now you need to cut a hole to post the wires and the igniter/built in canceler through. You have two choices: Use a hole saw, get a lot of plastic swarf off the drill inside the lamp unit. You can minimize this using a hoover etc but chances are you will still end up with some bits inside.

The other option is to use a soldering iron, ive got a gas one with a specific plastic cutting tool on it. Its a lot neater and there is zero chance of dropping anything inside the lamp unit.

large_f7ca47ac12b8c771cce972d7b51db23f.jpg

large_e934b77033c0883416a7d4af48fde977.jpg

Once i had cut the hole, i stuck the igniter down and left the cannceler part loose as there was nothing to stick it to. The main thing to consider is the headlight adjuster.. and that you wont place things in such a manner that they will jam up. You can twist the motor 90 degrees to unclip it then swing the inner lamp unit yourself to check the movement.

large_54426bcc57e591fd43e455a6db1975e1.jpg

Note - the ballast back has been removed in this picture.

large_e815693070515b0188a9d5572b6676ea.jpg

To protect everything i made up some plates.

large_fcd5ae43510195affddfae9e35c28ce9.jpg

You can make two at once to save time as they're identical on both sides (just flip one over)

large_893f9ae3360520c7af8a938a1d569dea.jpg

To secure the ballast i have removed 2 screws from the ballast casing and put them through the mounting plate. Its better to mount the ballast to the plate rather than stick them to the plastic as it acts as a heatsink. If you do end up with ABS errors, adding a small wire to ground to this plate should sort the issue.

large_e20ba2c4fc00a08168ed27021b2c6108.jpg

Painted up ready for fitting. I used 6 self tapping screws and some silicone to create a water tight seal.

Refitting is the reverse of the removal. Testing along the way for obvious reasons. Its good to fit some LED sidelights too that have built in load resistors. As the hids make the standard bulb look a bit naff and yellow.

I will add some before and after pictures once its gone dark. In my excitement i forgot to take a pic of the finished thing too so will do that when I take it out to replace the sidelight clip that got bust.

Last edited:
Good stuff man, thanks for taking the time to post this

:D

Agreed, nice guide and thanks for taking the time to post it. Did you read Woorlords guide prior to undertaking your own?

The only think I'd comment on, is that I've had both full size and slimline ballasts and have never had a bulb out error, so they won't automatically suffer from that.

It's not the size of the ballast that matters of they have a dropping resistor in to trick the ecu. Don't think I've read the woodlords guide though

Yeah sure, I appreciate that, I was just making the point that you won't automatically get a bulb error without a Canbus kit fitted.

i have a similar kit (yours have smaller ballasts as mine is the 55w kit) on my B5 and the only error that comes up without the extra resistor is a 2 second warning light when you turn them off.
only happens if you have the car running when you turn them off. kill the engine and then kills the lights and it is fine.

night and day (excuse the pun) compared to stock lights

Im not sure about the b5 in regards to the warning bit. quattro james have you got a pic of your kit? I tried standard ballasts and they 100% brought up the dipped headlight warning error

It should be noted that without headlight washers ans self leveling an aftermarket HID kit is deemed ilegal, that said I too took the risk and ran mine for years with no problems. I just wanted to add that so anyone following your top job knows all of the facts etc.

Nice pics and write up BTW

quattro james have you got a pic of your kit? I tried standard ballasts and they 100% brought up the dipped headlight warning error

This is the standard ballast, and the slimline one I replaced it with.

Ballasts001.jpg

It should be noted that without headlight washers ans self leveling an aftermarket HID kit is deemed ilegal, that said I too took the risk and ran mine for years with no problems. I just wanted to add that so anyone following your top job knows all of the facts etc.

Nice pics and write up BTW

not according to a MOT tester

not according to a MOT tester

We have been round and round here countless times with this. The bottom line is that they are illegal and a search on it will find the articles to prove Mark is right.

Illegal and mot fail are two different things, I'm gonna add to the guide some Time soon with more info.

Also quattrojames, the normal hid kit you say doesn't bring up an error.. just out of curiosity can you disconnect one bulb fully and see if you get a warning? Curious of some b6s didn't have the bulb warning feature

Illegal and mot fail are two different things, I'm gonna add to the guide some Time soon with more info.

Also quattrojames, the normal hid kit you say doesn't bring up an error.. just out of curiosity can you disconnect one bulb fully and see if you get a warning? Curious of some b6s didn't have the bulb warning feature.

Last edited:
Also quattrojames, the normal hid kit you say doesn't bring up an error.. just out of curiosity can you disconnect one bulb fully and see if you get a warning? Curious of some b6s didn't have the bulb warning feature.

I'm not 100% certain, but I 'think' that you need full DIS to get bulb out warnings, which I have. Also when one of my first full size ballasts failed it triggered the warning, so I definitely have it for headlamps as well as other lamps.

We have been round and round here countless times with this. The bottom line is that they are illegal and a search on it will find the articles to prove Mark is right.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps
Text extract below........

Aftermarket HID (Xenon) headlamps

Fact sheet: Aftermarket HID headlamps

December 2006

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.
Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards 6
Department for Transport
Zone 2/04
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street
London
SW1P 4DR

i read this the day i put mine in lol but after having mine and then taking it to my local MOT place to have them lind up im not worrying about it as im not blinding any one all im doing is seeing where im going ;-) plus there are so many cars out there driving with over brite lights on or fogs on all the f.ing time as they think it looks good witch is also a no no with the law lol

Mine have been through three MOT's with no problems. As I've said before I think if you've got HID's in a set of well adjusted projector lenses then I can't see you have any problems legally, unless they're 12000k or something!

as you no mate i was worryed about all this but i can safely say the 6000k most have are good and if set up right are not a problem for any one on the road mine are not hitting any one in the eyes and i was behind a police car last night with no problems at all im sure the only real difrance is just we can see the road better there for we are much safer on the roads at night

That's a great guide dude, and one i think may well have persuaded me to upgrade to HID's. I know there are issues, but since there are projectors in the headlights i've convinced myself it's fine :D

It won't be for a few weeks, but when I get round to it i will let you all know how I get on.

So, all you with HID's already fitted...have you gone for 6000k?

Cheers

i have the 6000k and like them there is a small tint of blue i think but not a lot its very close to day light though

I've got 6000k's but will replace with 4300k (oem spec) when I get round to it as these are supposed to have more usable light.

Anyone?

Also, the car in question has a headlight bulb out but the car isn't showing a bulb failure warning.

Can we use a normal kit?

Thanks

There is no "best kit" ...... You need to pick one and go for it. There are numerous UK suppliers who will charge you more, but you may feel the extra returns security etc is worth the premium. Or pick a supplier from ebay, usually overseas, and pay £50 ish and take what some may consider to be more of a risk.

If the car in question doesn't have the full DIS then it wont have bulb out warnings anyway so you'll probably be fine. Although some people have found the high voltage ballasts set of crash sensors/abs warnings etc.

How do I know if the car has full DIS? It doesn't have MPG I don't think but does have the check computer thing.

I'd just like to use a supplier someone else has in the past!

Cheers

easiest way is to just unplug a headlight connector and see if you get a warning on the dash. I would get a canbus kit anyway just so in the future if you decide to upgrade..

I was intending to update this thread but ive lost the ability to edit it and the mod i pmd doesnt seem to be able to sort it :(

Its currently got a blown bulb and isn't saying anything.

You mean If I upgrade car?

£75 is better than £150 from the hids4u place.

Any details on the DIS fit? Having the MPG thing etc would be good.

Within reason I cant see how there can be much of a difference, not double the price either.

At the end of the day its all from japan!

I had 5000k on my BMW E30.

Yes they are "illegal" without dynamic headlamp levelling and a power wash, but HID's in a projector lens lamp, you won't have too many problems at the MOT station.

5000k is a good compromise between OEM 4300k and the bluish tinged 6000k lamps.

Within reason I cant see how there can be much of a difference, not double the price either.

At the end of the day its all from japan!

Mines dis, zero problems. UK supplier and garuntee.

I will get my mate to order from that site I think, with slim ballasts.

Have emailed them about colour tempt though as he wants it to look factory, I installed new Phillips D2S bubs in my own BMW with factory xenons to replace old bulbs. They are white with the purple tinge you get from the projectors. I'm thinking 4300 or 5000 for the A4 but dont want them to look yellow at all.

5000k are just right imo.

Not OEM, but not too blue....

Not the best pic in the world, but you'll get the idea.....

DSC00674-1.jpg

just fitted mine,, got the same kit ryan got here,, with the slim line ballasts,,
i am having a tiny problem which ryan is helping with,,
basically,, ive done more or less the same install as ryan,, only i used a persex cover rather than steel where the oem kit should be housed
and it may be causing the slightest of problems

if i turn the ignition on then the lights,, all is fine,
if i turn the lights on then the ignition,, get a abs warning,
but if i turn the engine off then on again with the lights on the warning goes???????
you can do this as many times as you want and the warning light will not come on,, but leave the car to stand for 10 minutes and try again, (lights on before ignition) , the abs light comes on again,,, but again only once???????
ryan says its the perspex lid which is not allowing the ballast to ground or something like that!!!
not that i dont trust what he is saying, i was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem!

ryan says its the perspex lid which is not allowing the ballast to ground or something like that!!!
not that i dont trust what he is saying, i was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem!

I probably should have explained it better. Its not due to lack of ground, grounding the ballast creates a sheild.

Basically, the way hids work (all hid kits!) results in them developing alot of EMF, if its too close to the abs circuits on the A4 it causes interference and that flags up the error. Ive not had this issue on mine, but its part of the reason i used a metal plate and put the ballasts and the parts inside the lamp.. to gain a bit of extra distance.

Heres a link to the science behind the theory - Electromagnetic shielding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are having issues, you can ground the case itself, or the metal plate and both should help relive the fault.