1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Top 5 Optional Extras............

RobinA3 Dec 25, 2006

1. alanjonesbath

alanjonesbath VAGOwners.co.uk

Its strange how people use things in different way ;) I'm forever using the cruise control :D Always use it on the motorway no matter what speed I'm doing (generally set it to about 73/75mph), and rarely have to knock it off because of traffic (maybe just because of the motorway I use normally, which is a lot quieter than some). I even use it at slower speeds like 30/40mph on edge-of-city streets when it quiet as well. To be honest, after having had it on my current car, I wouldn't be without it on a new car now. If anything on motorways, I find I'm able to react quicker if I need to brake quickly, as I'll have been paying more attention to me surroundings rather than constantly watching my speed.

2. RobinA3

RobinA3 Well-Known Member

you don't need to do that, the police do that for you..............lol

3. benw123

benw123 Moderator

Totally agree with all of that - I use cruise as much as possible. It's less fatiguing to drive long journeys too.

4. h5djr

h5djr Well-Known Member VCDS Map User Gold Supporter quattro Audi A3

It would be interesting to know if any of the people who think that the DSG takes away the drivers control of the car use cruise control !

My A3 is an SE and is therefore fitted with cruise control as standard, but personally I very rarely use it, not even on my long 450 mile journey across France on an almost deserted autoroute. It's the first car I've own with cruise fitted and I suppose I've never been used to using it and am quite happy to keep control of the throttle. The only time I have used it is in long stretches of speed limit controlled roadworks.

5. benw123

benw123 Moderator

In fact Dave, I think cruise control works even better with automatics. Before we got our SE, the only time I'd used it was in the States where virtually all hire cars have cruise and automatic transmission. Very often, you'd be ambling along at 55 with cruise on, and have to stop at some lights. When they go green, you press 'resume' and from a standstill the car will go all the way back to 55 while working its way through the box.

The disadvantage of cruise with manual transmission is that when you change gear, depressing the clutch deactivates it, so really you can only make use of cruise in top gear (or 6th in my 2.0TDI).

6. nb

nb Very poorly A3 at the moment..........

quicken your journies and whack that cruise to 78, the multicoloured patrolling chaps ''allow up' to that threshold..........

always makes me laugh when donuts in maxed up scoobies or focuses fly past everyone in the outside lane not realising the reason everyone is doing bang on 70 is because there is a police patrol car tucked in nicely on the inside lane. you see the brakes go on and a nice wobble across the lane as they go from 100 to 70! and you and everyone else thinks 'what a tit!!!!!'

7. benw123

benw123 Moderator

On a similar kind of note, something I've noticed with cruise control is that you sometimes end up with a "cat and mouse" effect with other drivers travelling at very similar speed.

I was once barrelling along the new section of A120 from Stansted airport to Braintree (lovely bit of road) at around 80mph, and crawled past another car doing something like 78. As we went downhill into a dip, he had to pull out to overtake me, and then as we went uphill, the cruise maintaining my 80mph, I went round him again! I saw the driver look out and he must have felt I was messing around. Although painfully obvious to say this, drivers without cruise have to control their speed with their right foot, and it's surprising how much you lose when going uphill if you don't push your foot down! Cruise sorts this out and you never lose any time.

8. h5djr

I suppose my problem is that I never drive with my DSG in automatic mode. I use the tip-tronic mode all the time, except when I'm in a queue of slow moving traffic.

9. nb

nb Very poorly A3 at the moment..........

Ha ha i thought at first you meant that sort of 'deja vu' cat and mouse effect when you go past a car on the motorway then dawdle for a while with an emptyish motorway ahead, suddenly hit the regulation motorway roadworks av spd zone, do a bit of weaving as someone in front thinks the limit is 20, and low and behold that car you passed miles ago is suddenly in front of you!! although could be my low attention span due to motorway brain drain

10. newbiecrg

newbiecrg windsurfer

My top specs are always related to performance. As I choose an S3 my top 5 were. Bucket seats, Flat bottom steering wheel, BOSE, centre arm rest and rear parking sensors.

I'm not very rational when spending my money! Don't follow my advice!

Pedro
    P.S.: Latin blood in my veins, the emotions always have the final word!

11. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Active Member

You've not ordered an S3 have you pedro :) I'd never have guessed from your post ;)

J.

12. h5djr

From earlier posts I can now see why I often see cars put on their brakes on a motorway when all they need to do is take their foot off the accelerator to slow down. I always used to think they were the kind of person who's foot had to be either on the accelerator or the brake but I suppose in some cases it make be that they are using cruise control and the only way to slow down a little is to press the brake pedal to dis-engage the cruise control.

13. benw123

benw123 Moderator

Mind you, I will often touch the brake just to warn the driver behind that I'm easing off. If you simply let go of the accelerator, the vehicle behind will close in before realising you've lost some speed.

If I have to deactivate cruise, I just touch the stalk forward gently to turn it off. This preserves the last set speed, so I can pull it back to resume. I think the reality is that very few people use it; it's not a feature common to many cars in the UK - although more available in recent years - and even if it is fitted I consider it to be an 'advanced' feature, in that the majority of drivers probably don't know what it is or how to use it.