1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your thoughts on this

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by m444ty p, Dec 8, 2009.

1. m444ty p

m444ty p Member

[Dec 8, 2009]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. pauldazzle

pauldazzle Active Member

[Dec 8, 2009]
    Yeah I have a mate with a Mk4 Golf Anniversary which he had mapped with them, & he's very happy with it.
  4. redrumakamurder

redrumakamurder Ian Da G*

[Dec 9, 2009]
    i used them on my last s3 and i was very happy with the remap. had no side effects and made a big difference. i would recommend them to be fair
  5. nath

nath New Member

[Dec 9, 2009]
    you have to send them your ecu?
  6. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

[Dec 9, 2009]
    Not ideal if you need the car for every day travel and you have to go through the added hassel of taking out your ECU and posting it off, then putting it back in again.
  7. pauldazzle

pauldazzle Active Member

[Dec 9, 2009]
    My mate went up to them to have his car mapped, which is a much better of doing this as every engine has it's own characteristics.
  8. S3 HODGE

S3 HODGE Brown passenger seat.

[Dec 9, 2009]
    My friend had a Golf and the turbo went because of one of these cheap postal remaps.....Just spend a little more and get a Revo/CC etc....
  9. pauldazzle

pauldazzle Active Member

[Dec 9, 2009]
    There may well be some dodgy remaps out there, but the ecu has a lot of parameters that are there to protect the turbo, & will put the car into limp mode if any of these are exceeded. Remaps do not usually involve any adjustments to these safeguards. Just fuel/air/timing/boost are modified. I would say that his turbo was probably already dying, & the remap just put the final nail in it's coffin.
  10. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

[Dec 9, 2009]
    Very true.
  11. thegoal007

thegoal007 Another S3 owner....

[Dec 11, 2009]
    er, let's not forget buying anything from ebay is like buying privately...very risky. I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole. Even if 99% of people tell me thy are happy I might just be the 1% and won't have a leg to stand on should anything seriously go wrong.
  12. R-tech_Nick

R-tech_Nick Member

[Dec 11, 2009]

You got it 100% spot m8!

All the horror stories are always a mates cars or her say 3rd part information or another tuner said the remap caused the turbo to fail ect....
    If a turbo is going to die a remap will finish it off for sure not matter who remapped it, same with a clutch as soon as you have a remap and the clutch starts slipping , is it the remap fault or a worn clutch what was due to fail at anytime with the stock map in place.??
    Engines & turbos blow up all day long remapped or not, its just the onwer with the remap has someone to blame, and the smaller the company the bigger the hit they take imo.

The best way to go about it is do a lot of digging around, ask questions about the company on the forum, ask for "1st hand" experience, find out if they do a full diagnostics, find out if the tuner knows about problems after the remap ect....
    If a tuner says your never going to have issues after the remap then I would steer clear and start looking into another company. The answer you should get is, "yes the is a chance you will have minor issues or even a major issues straight after the remap. Minor issues are coils pack, plugs, maf scale, boost leaks, vac leaks, failed DV, weak valves and Major issues a fecked turbo if its just hanging on for its dear life the the remap is going to hammer the last nail in.
    A lot of horror stories on forums will get deleted if the tuner is a sponsor to protect there name(not saying this forum does but I know of one seat forum the does), IMO the thread should stay and the tuner should be confident enough in there product to defend it on an open forum, to say yes we do have issues not its not the remap.

my 2p worth.

Nick
  13. R-tech_Nick

R-tech_Nick Member

[Dec 11, 2009]
    Just to add to this,

I have never heard any bad stories about More-BHP remaps

Just the problem as a whole with postal remap, IMO how does the tuner know the car is in good running order to take the remap?? He dosent he just takes your work for it and this the where the risk lays.
    Best bet is drive up there and get the full car checked out prior to the remap, if it aint upto sctrach the tuner should advise you what to do and send you on your merry way until its fixed or even fix the car for you.

Nick
  14. pauldazzle

pauldazzle Active Member

[Dec 11, 2009]
    I think More-BHP have a decent reputation, & I would expect they don't push the limits too much on a postal remap.
    As Nick says there are a lot of potential issues, boost leaks etc that may not be apparent running the standard map that become a major pain with a remap.
    Much better to take the car to them so they can fine tune it to your engine.