1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yoohoo finally got a quattro!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Paul_TDi, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Dec 23, 2012]
    I've been on this forum for years now but never posted before as had a GT TDI MK4 golf for quite a few years.

I started breaking my beloved golf in August wanting a change and bought a '99 A3 1.8 T for cheap to see me through while I got my money out of the golfs parts.

I didn't really like it though, being pre facelift it felt dated and hated the judderyness of petrol and it was silver! Hate the colour with a passion but it came up cheap and ticked the boxes at the time.

Anyways, I now have a (Brillliant) Black '02 (facelift) A3 1.9 TDi Quattro PD130. I didn't really want the same engine that was in my golf again as I know I will want to mod it, but at 3k, 165k gorgeous leather and the quattro I couldn't resist.

The leather is just so much nicer than what was in the silver A3, hugs so much more and the bonus of electric lumbar support. Loving the white lights for the dials and generally how modern the dash and interior look compared to the pre facelift.

Overall I'm over joyed with the car, just a shame I had to smash the rear light cluster in today to recover my only key from the boot!

Would add pics but it's just a standard motor with paint to show it's age.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 23, 2012]
    ​Hope you enjoy being back on audi- sport.net. Please put a pic up, we like pics. Merry Christmas Paul. Enjoy. :) x
  4. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Dec 23, 2012]
    Go on then, you've twisted my arm...

Only a few pics I've nicked from the garages site....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  5. Geoff-R

Geoff-R Member

[Dec 24, 2012]
    Got one of these myself, a 3 door version, a rare sight on the road and a cracking car in my opinion. It will be a shame to see her go when I sell her due to work commitments soon.
  6. James TQ

James TQ Member

[Dec 24, 2012]
    i have the 3 door petrol version, am very jealous of the leaver interior, mines only cloth :(
  7. Stickystuff

Stickystuff New Member

[Dec 24, 2012]
    Great looking quattro you've got there mate. I've got a beige/cream full leathers if you want to swap ;)
  8. James TQ

James TQ Member

[Dec 24, 2012]
    possible... pm me please :)

how long did it take you to sell the golf in parts? was it more hassle for what it was worth? and what were the hardest bits to sell?
  9. TqsScott

TqsScott Member

[Dec 24, 2012]
    Hope you enjoy. I've got a 3 door petrol one with half leather.
  10. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Dec 24, 2012]
    Enjoying very much cheers, I wouldn't of turned my nose up at a recaro cloth interior to be honest, only my 2nd car with leather so still getting used to the feel of it.

Indeed there's not many about at all, infact there was only 1 other diesel one for sale in the country when I bought this.

Sticky stuff, I don't know how people live with the cream interiors, I'd have to cover it all up scared of getting it dirty!

My golf was well worth splitting, I started in Mid august and i'm pretty much finished now, just need to find time to scrap the shell and then put more effort into the last few bits. It was a heavily modified golf, not many parts left untouched and I've just tipped over the 4k mark now, so considering it would of sold for 2k tops I'm over the moon. I think you'll find doors hardest to sell, I got lucky with mine with someone wanting all 4, engine I had to split into parts to sell even though it was a sound ASZ, just left with hubs drive shafts and some engine ancillary parts now.
  11. Gops

Gops 6th gear @7000rpm

[Dec 24, 2012]
    Lovely car and rare Paul! Good find!
  12. James TQ

James TQ Member

[Dec 26, 2012]
    Just shows it pays to be patient :)
  13. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Dec 26, 2012]
    Far from patient lol

Wanted to change the petrol A3 soon as I got it but it served a purpose at the time, I just decided to have a nosey on a some sites 1 sunday, spotted it, viewed it on the monday and then cracked a deal that day.

Itching to start buying bits for it now.

I'm assuming it's bumper off job to fit new headlights, right? Is there a guide for the fixing points?

Jobs to do...

Fit drivers side rear cluster.
    Fit new foglights (got the dealer to buy them included in the deal)
    Lamin X the fog lights
    Buy new bulbs for fogs
    Polish and restore headlights, lamin X and HID them.

Simple things for now, already fixed the jammed arm rest and want a new wing and boot lid.
  14. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Dec 26, 2012]
    Just Lamin-X'ed my first fog light, still need to pick up the other one as it was DOA.

[​IMG]

I got Subtle tint for the fogs, probably just going to get clear for the headlights once I've restored them.
  15. Geoff-R

Geoff-R Member

[Dec 27, 2012]
    Nice work, where did you get the Lamin-X? Really need to do my headlights.
  16. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

17. doublem_1

doublem_1 Member

[Dec 28, 2012]
    I have one myself in a 3 door. Pretty rare model. I'm happy with it apart from the noisy diesel, particularly when it's cold it drives me insane!
  18. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Jan 30, 2013]
    I love the diesel sound.

Finally got my new foglights in so looking more like this now...

[​IMG]

Put Osram NightBreakers in them-

[​IMG]

And the old ones look a little like this, turns out the drivers side was fine but was covered in black sparky tape to disguise it.

[​IMG]

May of ended up getting some new rims too for it, not staying white but 8.5x17, any guesses....!?

[​IMG]

and my golf left the other week

[​IMG]
  19. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Feb 4, 2013]
    Had a scrap tyre chucked on the rim for some trial fitting (thanks Trident of Marks Tey!)

The results!, will need a bit of lowering for the desired look in time but I think I can bare driving around like this once the wheels are done for a little while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

[Feb 4, 2013]
    What alloys are they mate?
  21. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Feb 4, 2013]
    Brock B1's, just need to sell a few more golf parts to fund the refurb.
  22. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Mar 1, 2013]
    Well the car almost runs spot on!

Since I got the car it's had the famous haldex issues, AWD all the time and crabbing/ESP issues at low speed full lock steering. Woody at EU-Tuning did a bit of diagnostic work and advised a new controller should do the trick a few notes exchanged hands and then the car sales garage got there mechanic to fit the new controller, service the haldex and fit a new thermostat which Woody also pointed out whilst diagnosing.

Drove the car away from the garage with the needle sitting at 90 for the first time then dropped down to 60, so seems the new thermostat has flagged up the coolant temp sensor now, so changing that on the weekend.

Now it's reaching temp and the rear isn't engaged constantly it feels a lot more lively, loving it!

I've just fitted my new hazard switch too as indicators have been an issue for a while now, tried removing it a while ago with no luck but with the new part in hand I did some quick googling and someone suggested a firm yank with long nose pliers.....worked a treat!

Still undecided as to put my JVC head unit in with USB and bluetooth and put up with an ugly dash or put up with lack of connectivity and stick with stock for time being.
  23. TOTE

TOTE Just Me

[Mar 1, 2013]
    Hi i have one of these quattro but mine is the sport version tdi 130 quattro,the only difference i think is the suspension and my dials are white,but i have the half leather seats.
    But it is a very nice and firm ride.
  24. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Mar 1, 2013]
    Aye mines sport too, maybe yours has been modded in the past to get the white dials. I'm not sure if the suspension is any different from a non sport, was tempted to get S3 springs to lower mine on a budget slightly.
  25. Cobra88

Cobra88 Active Member VCDS Map User

[Mar 1, 2013]
    Hi Paul

was nice to meet you when i popped round to buy the hubs you had on eBay :)

that 130 sport quattro is lovely mate.

Hubs all stripped and new bearings fitted all ready to fit my 312mm tt setup this weekend
    hope to get my turbo refitted soon too after bearing failure soon after i did my milltek full exhaust :(

regards
    Rick
  26. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Mar 1, 2013]
    Hey rick, glad your making good progress with them!

Cheers, likewise though, would love your body work lol.
  27. TOTE

TOTE Just Me

[Mar 1, 2013]
    Hi Paul before i got this one i went to see another one similar and it had too white dials,i think it might be a limited edition cos this one that i have is one owner only from new(old men),but anyway they are fantastic cars not as fast as a non quattro a3 tdi 130,but the ride is fantastic.
  28. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Mar 1, 2013]
    Yer the quatro system does slow them up a little bit but being able to launch at full speed even in the wet is brilliant and won't see a 2WD holding onto roundabouts like these do, don't think I can ever go back to 2WD drive now, I'm hooked!

It's a shame I didn't have this car instead of my last golf which was also a PD130, but with hyrbid turbo, custom IC setup and mapped to touch under 200. Would of been great with AWD.

Interesting! You got a pic of your clocks?
  29. woody.dub

woody.dub Member

[Mar 1, 2013]
    Glad to be of help mate
  30. TOTE

TOTE Just Me

[Mar 1, 2013]
    Hi Paul yep have a look
    3260t_1.jpg 20130105_145818.jpg $T2eC16RHJGIE9nnWqyFCBQqpPnqjyQ~~60_57.jpg 20130105_180742.jpg
  31. TOTE

TOTE Just Me

[Mar 1, 2013]
    Hope this picture is bigger 20130105_180748.jpg
  32. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Mar 1, 2013]
    How strange! not seen that before, your interior is the same as mine, apart from mine being full leather. Do your seats have electric lumbar support adjustment?

Looks like yours has side skirts too? Maybe thats because mines 5 door and didn't come with, or was an optional extra on top of the sport pack. I was playing with this earlier, tap in the codes from the sticker in your spare wheel well and it tell you what the optional part is.
  33. TOTE

TOTE Just Me

[Mar 1, 2013]
    Yep this one came with the original receipt and all the paperwork from new,yes it has the electric lumbar support and xenon's lights and xenon's washers.sure i will check the paperwork and give you the codes,i have seen something in the receipt about extras i will have a look,were you based Paul?
  34. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Mar 1, 2013]
    Ohhh xenons too, I was hoping for them when I viewed mine.

I'm in Colchester, Essex.
  35. TOTE

TOTE Just Me

[Mar 1, 2013]
    Fantastic tool you found tried all the codes on the sticker in the service book,very nice and yes lots of extras,i am in London so if there is any meeting around the area let me know i would like to meet members from this site not only S3 but tdi as well

But mine doesn't have the Bose system.the owner said yes it does have the bose sound system but wen i got home checked and no bose only the normal system
  36. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Mar 1, 2013]
    Yeh the forum is pretty much about the S3's or 1.8TQ's, will certainly post up if I'm going to any meets, mines not that much to look at so far though.

Mine doesn't have Bose either, TDi quattros are rare enough so finding one with Bose will be a tricky one. My golf had it but to be honest I haven't noticed much of a difference.
  37. Paul_TDi

Paul_TDi Member

[Mar 2, 2013]
    It seems one problem after another at the minute, bought a new temp sender from ECP for 17 quid and got it fitted today with no issues. But then while running the car up to temp I noticed the bigger rad fan wasn't working. It doesn't spin freely and has resistance turning gently, just bought some 2nd hand fans off ebay for 15 quid so not too bad, more annoyed that I chucked my golfs fans in the shell when I scrapped it!

Just a big shout out to James @ George Kingsley . Through all the issues James has stayed in contact, not held back ordering parts that were needed and his mechanic did a fantastic job of getting the car sorted. Very pleased with his after sales care.