yet another thermostat problem!

JLawson90

Reaction score
so .. when i got my 1.9 TDI B7 at the start of the year it wouldnt get up to temperature, so in march (i think) i replaced the thermostat and all was good, it would get up to 90 after 5 / 10 minutes and stay there no matter what ..

however, yesterday i was stuck in a carpark for 1 hour and 15 minutes!!! as you can imagine, i was barely moving, maybe 1 cars length every 5 minutes .. the temp never showed as fluctuating, never went above 90 .. but when ive drove to work this morning, it never even reached 70, baring in mind its a 25 minute drive away

is it possible the stationary traffic has ****** up my newish thermostat? caused it to be stuck open or something?

I had a similar issue on my inlaws B5 and it turned out to be the temp sensor not the stat..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: DieselJake
hm, i thought if it was the temp sensor i would get erratic readings not just taking far far too long to get up to temperature ..

the reason i thought stat, is because that 100% fixed my issue when i got the car

It is possible to have another duff stat, but from my experience and 2 stats later it's worth changing the temp sensor as a just in case.
Iirc the B5 was never erratic but never went above 70 until sensor was changed and it's been fine since. Also had a similar issue on my old A6 i5 and that was the same solution.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

just in case anyone is reading this with a similar problem .. new thermostat fixed it for me :)