Yet another stone stuck in my brakes!

JRock247

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I want to share a little annoying issue I have with my car (2006 A3 S-Line Quattro 2.0TDi 140)

This is the first A3 I have owned and have NEVER had this issue with any other car I have owned.

In the last year, I have had to remove stones from between the Splash Guard and the Brake Disc on the rear of my car, about 9 times now and is driving me up the wall. I live in the country side, so stones are all over the road generally but for some reason I keep getting stones stuck between the guard and disc. It sounds like someone scrapping down a white board, very loud and ****** annoying.

I have checked the rear discs and splash guards and all looks ok when compared to my mates car but for some reason it keeps happening. I lived in the same area for many years now and never had this issue until I brought the A3. I have figured out a quick and easy way to remove them but don't understand why it keeps happening?? Like I said, 9 times in the last year and never had this issue with my previous cars.

Anyone else had this issue before or has resolved a similar issue?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Its been done a fair few times,

Simply take the guards off.

Problem solved.

I'd never had this before I got my A4 and the noise scared the hell out of me! Haha.

I just found that moving the car back and forwards a few times dislodged it. Still horrendous if you're in traffic or something...

Admittedly it sounds horrific,

I washed an VW R32 for someone the other day, when it came to it leaving, stone stuck in there.

Doesn't take long for it ping out, foot down.... :)

I used to just drive forward or backwards quickly and the stone would drop out but the one I had the other day would not budge!

I found the best way was to stop, take the screwdriver out from the tool kit in the boot and push/bend the guards slightly and the stone drops out.

Is there any downside to not having the guards on? If not, there coming off this wknd!

Is there any downside to not having the guards on? If not, there coming off this wknd!

I dont think so really, maybe less calliper/wheel protection so maybe more prone to stone chips?

Personally I'd have them off if they're problem.

You'll also save on weight....therefore fuel.... :)

Thanks for your input guys.

Gonna take the rear ones of this wknd, no issues with the front ones............yet.

Hey guys.
I know this thread is old but I'm pretty freaked out about a high pitched whistle coming from my front drivers side wheel (i think). I own an '02 A4 Quattro B6. The car is 13 years old and I'm terrified that its something more drastic. I was half relieved when I read this because the problem you are describing is exactly what has been happening to me intermittantly the last week or so. When I brake, it stops instantly. Could I slide something between the pad and rotor to dislodge anything that's stuck there? Whats the most efficient way to determine if this is my problem without actually removing the wheel? This is new to me, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Unless you have a ramp you are going to struggle without taking the wheel off,hopefully it is just a stone.