1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another stone stuck in my brakes!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by JRock247, Jul 15, 2013.

1. JRock247

JRock247 Active Member

[Jul 15, 2013]
    Afternoon all,

I want to share a little annoying issue I have with my car (2006 A3 S-Line Quattro 2.0TDi 140)

This is the first A3 I have owned and have NEVER had this issue with any other car I have owned.

In the last year, I have had to remove stones from between the Splash Guard and the Brake Disc on the rear of my car, about 9 times now and is driving me up the wall. I live in the country side, so stones are all over the road generally but for some reason I keep getting stones stuck between the guard and disc. It sounds like someone scrapping down a white board, very loud and bloody annoying.

I have checked the rear discs and splash guards and all looks ok when compared to my mates car but for some reason it keeps happening. I lived in the same area for many years now and never had this issue until I brought the A3. I have figured out a quick and easy way to remove them but don't understand why it keeps happening?? Like I said, 9 times in the last year and never had this issue with my previous cars.

Anyone else had this issue before or has resolved a similar issue?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. mjr901

mjr901 S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

[Jul 15, 2013]
    Its been done a fair few times,

Simply take the guards off.

Problem solved.
  4. Daggerit

Daggerit Active Member

[Jul 15, 2013]
    I'd never had this before I got my A4 and the noise scared the hell out of me! Haha.

I just found that moving the car back and forwards a few times dislodged it. Still horrendous if you're in traffic or something...
  5. mjr901

[Jul 15, 2013]
    Admittedly it sounds horrific,

I washed an VW R32 for someone the other day, when it came to it leaving, stone stuck in there.

Doesn't take long for it ping out, foot down.... :)
  6. JRock247

JRock247 Active Member

[Jul 15, 2013]
    I used to just drive forward or backwards quickly and the stone would drop out but the one I had the other day would not budge!

I found the best way was to stop, take the screwdriver out from the tool kit in the boot and push/bend the guards slightly and the stone drops out.

Is there any downside to not having the guards on? If not, there coming off this wknd!
  7. mjr901

[Jul 15, 2013]
    I dont think so really, maybe less calliper/wheel protection so maybe more prone to stone chips?

Personally I'd have them off if they're problem.

You'll also save on weight....therefore fuel.... :)
  8. JRock247

JRock247 Active Member

[Jul 15, 2013]
    Thanks for your input guys.

Gonna take the rear ones of this wknd, no issues with the front ones............yet.