1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another possible multitronic problem

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by blackchilliman, Sep 11, 2010.

1. blackchilliman

blackchilliman New Member

[Sep 11, 2010]
    Hi- I bought a 54 plate, 93k, A4 Avant 1.9 TDI 130 Sport at auction. It has some history but I have to presume that the ATF has never been changed.........and yes, having NOW read the forums, I realise how stupid this was!!

Anyway, there is no particular transmission problem apart from it being bit hesitant from stationary which I read could be is an idiosyncrasy of the multitronic box.... I'm only used to driving the same engined car, in a manual golf. The guy that is currently servicing my car said that changing the ATF should help with the hesitation but he has also mentioned that the ATF smells badly burnt.

My question is, once the "burnt" ATF has been changed, have I avoided a major gearbox meltdown or am I kidding myself and the burnt ATF together with the hesitation symbolic of impending doom?

Thanks in anticipation.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 31, 2014]

3. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Sep 11, 2010]
    The honest truth is that there's no way of knowing. All I would say is that you must do the oil change. Let's hope it does the trick.

The other thing that might help with the hesitation is cleaning the torque sensors. These are mounted in the leading edge of the front wheel hubs. With the wheel off to make access easier, unscrew the torx screw, slide out the cylindrical sensor (don't dislodge the wiring), and clean it with white spirit. Also clean the chamber you have removed it from. Once it has dried, slide back in and retighten the torx screw.

Best of luck.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  4. Digger1

Digger1 Member

[Sep 11, 2010]
    Had the same symptons with the same car,, needed the seven clutch upgrade !!!