1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yet another dump valve question!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by spencerjoel, Feb 25, 2004.

1. spencerjoel

spencerjoel Member

My '99 A3 quattro is making that famous dump valve flutter sound. is this likely to affect my MPG at all? as it seems to be a bit low, (22-25 MPG), even when im doing plenty of motorway miles. any opinions would be greatly appreciated guys
    thanks
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  2. jimboA3

jimboA3 Member

get it replaced bud , if you can hear it then its on its way out !
  3. NWMark

NWMark Member

What sound does it make when its on its way out, my valve isnt making any noises but would be good to know for future reference.

Well i say its not making any noises, i can hear the turbo spool up nicely as i rev it but i dont get any noise when lifting off, which is what i assume you would get with a faulty valve???

Mark
  4. spencerjoel

spencerjoel Member

cheers everyone, i'll get it sorted, just out of curiosity where did u get yours done?, garage, audi or DIY, and how big a job is it to do myself?
  5. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    NWMark said:
    What sound does it make when its on its way out, my valve isnt making any noises but would be good to know for future reference.

Well i say its not making any noises, i can hear the turbo spool up nicely as i rev it but i dont get any noise when lifting off, which is what i assume you would get with a faulty valve???

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like a quiet dump valve with a slight chirrup... You will know it when u hear it.

Rich
  6. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    spencea3quattro said:
    cheers everyone, i'll get it sorted, just out of curiosity where did u get yours done?, garage, audi or DIY, and how big a job is it to do myself?

[/ QUOTE ]

Piece of piss m8! Get yourself some jubilee clips and something to prize off the old clips and you will be done in 15 minutes!

Rich
  7. Gambba

Gambba Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    spencea3quattro said:

[/ QUOTE ]

As Rich says it's a doddle, but if you need assitance then take a look at Forge's DV installation .pdf which takes you through it step-by-step.