Yet another ASN member moving on....

Prawn

My other car is a MINI!!!!
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Well guys, I've done it.

I've finally given in, and sold the audi to buy something more exciting.

I bought it 2 years ago when my Mini became too mental for the road, and I've spent the whole time trying to make it more interesting to drive.

I've done the ko3S conversion, S3 brakes, shocks, springs, ARB's, bushes, just about everything I can think of, and it's ended up a GREAT car.

It's very fun to drive, and runs rings around a standard S3, straight line it's dead on par with a mapped S3.

It looks good, sounds good, goes well, and stops well, but I've been getting a little bored, and fancied something RWD.

As you well know our former best friend Dave swapped his A3 for an M3, and after a short drive a few weeks ago, it was clear it was an educated choice....

Whilst it does feel more dated inside, it has all the same equipment as the audi and more. It's a damn sight quicker, and handling is a lot more solid.

RWD with the LSD is also very nice, it feels like a proper drivers car, it's a rewarding challenge.

I'll still be around here though, I've built up a fair bit of VAG knowledge of the past 2 years, and I like it here, so I'll probably stick around!

Anyway, enough rambling, here's the new motor:

gallery_168_26_201969.jpg

gallery_168_26_31340.jpg

Wow... thats a supprise lol

Best of luck with it, Im not gonna ramble on about how much I dont like BMWs cause I give my mum enough stick about that! The new M3s seem to go alright round the Ring, be interesting to see what that could do

Enjoy it matey

yea, it was fairly unexpected for me too if I'm honest!

I've thought for a while I'd rather like one, and I always had a deal with my mum that I'd sell her the A3 when the time came.

Then, unexpectedly, her A3 tdi developed a whole load of problems in a short time, and it just didn't seem worth fixing.

A deal was done, and I was left looking for a new motor.

Having come down in price such a lot since the E92 M3 came out, it's suddenly become a possibility.

I will miss the audi greatly, as I loved that car to bits, but I have to say the M3 is SO nice to drive it's simply brilliant.

I'll be the first to admit it's more dated inside, but it's definately more comfy (A3 shocks were pretty solid) on the standard springs, and it does handle a lot nicer.
It makes a real change to have some proper steering feel!

With regards to the Ring Ryan, apparently the bog standard 3.0 in full road trim laps the ring in 8:30, how that correlates to other stuff I don't know.

I love it.

8:30? Guessing thats gotta be with someone whos done ALOT of Ring time, sounds interesting tho

Main thing is you enjoy it dude. I gotta admit I keep finding myself looking at S4s since my last raise, tempted to make a change but probably wont till I know the time is right

Wow thats a nice looking motor there! I was just reading some of your threads about the work done on yours and thinking about what I would do to mine.
I'm thinking of going back to a MK2 GTi now though, I just want something more fun to drive!

ahhhhh, i'd heard certain rumours ;)

i dont come on here much at all but thought i'd have a quick peek on the off chance you'd posted details.

Tis nice Nick, looks well tidy.

I'm yet to drive Daves but im not convinced i'll be pusuaded! lol

Wow thats a nice looking motor there! I was just reading some of your threads about the work done on yours and thinking about what I would do to mine.
I'm thinking of going back to a MK2 GTi now though, I just want something more fun to drive!

I'm telling you a my Mk2 16V is more fun to drive than my S3, sure it hasn't got the same power and toys, but it makes me smile driving it. :racer:

PS - Do you not have rear headrests?

Shhhhh.... it's a 318iS really. :)

looking at the wing indicators, I don't think it's an EVO model.

I'm telling you a my Mk2 16V is more fun to drive than my S3, sure it hasn't got the same power and toys, but it makes me smile driving it. :racer:

Shhhhh.... it's a 318iS really. :)

looking at the wing indicators, I don't think it's an EVO model.

I think the big hint that is isn't an EVO model is the N reg plate :p

Coolio hoolio. The way you were chatting about them the other day I just knew you had them on the brain.

You fancy hooking up at the same place in the next week or two? I want to take a look at it if that's cool with you?

I came on for the first time in ages too, just to see if there was a picture (Hadn't seen it yet).

I had a pre-facelift Audi and I bought an Evo M3 so the interior is much of a muchness, however Vader seats are worlds better than anything Audi provide.
The way everything fits and glovebox operation etc is beter in the Audi though.

Regards the 'ring statement, E36 M3's are pretty much the second most common car there, after Porsche 911s.

Given the fact the BMW M test centre is half a mile from the entrance to the 'ring (on the right just up from and opposite side to the Pistenklause) so you can't really pick a car to drive the 'ring that would be more suited.
Everything about the M cars is designed to do circuits and the fact they are developed on the worlds best is certainly a good plus point.

The M engine is one of the best out there, it has a near flat torque line, and both the non evo and evo are just under/just over 300Bhp.

Being naturally aspirated and independant throttle bodies it also has instant response, and a progressive continuing power delivery and you dont find yourself running out of power even at 130mph.

I've had mine a little while now and its a completely standard car, and it drives better than pretty much every other car I've ever driven as a standard affair. (I'm not including things out of my price range such as 911s and XKRs though.)

RWD and the LSD can and will really bite you, but driven properly and its one of the most rewarding experiences there is.

Although I dont frequent BMW forums much, its interesting that you see a lot of names I recognise from here from the old days, although most buy the E46 thus keeping a modern interior. JediKnight was a name I saw the other day who was fairly recently on here.

Looks good Nick, Looks to be well specced too as its got the washer jets (probably heated) and the sunroof (which unlike Audis always come with Aircon too)

Let me know how it drives once you've had a chance!

Prawn, nice car mate and great colour....the best of luck with it

give it another few years and you will be able to afford an S3:jester:

seriously good move though fella...im fancying one next albeit the follwing model

keep us updated on how it goes

Looks nice mate ,

my mate has one but tbh . Never liked the look of them . Still a nice car but im sticking to VAG.

Wow nick i knew you were moving on but i didnt think you'd be moving on this quickly.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the M3 though! Any plans for her?

What was your insurance on it?

Jason

Cheers for all the comments guys,

it's not an EVO model being a 95, it's one of the last of the 3.0 versions, made in september 95 a few months before the evo was released.

It appears to be pretty highly specced, with dual zone aircon, electric sunroof, total closure BMW alarm/immob, cruise control, and heated headlight washers.

It's awesome to drive too! RWD and a big 3.0 straight 6 is just so cool!

my cousin had an old e reg 728 over the weekend. the sound of a straight 6 sounded sooo nice. smooth as hell, smoother then his a4 1.8tqs and it had done over 148000 miles!!!

sorry to see you go mate but nice wheels to replace the A3
have fun

Nick mate, wtf have you done!!!! LOL

Only joking, looks really nice, I know exactly what you mean about how it drives although I couldn't cope with the way it revs forever!

My mates just sold his E36 M3 and bought an RS4. I'm beginning to think that's the way forward!

Enjoy your new car mate.

Thats the thing though, I've grown up with high revving n/a engines, and whilst the turbo was lovely for riding the wave of torque, I like revvy motors.

My mini A-series revs right round to 8k in every gear, and going from the mini to the audi was so strange.

The bmw engine is very similar to the mini in that sense, which really suits me.

I'll still be around though guys, I'm just beginning to prepare the A3 for giving back to my mum, fitting a rear wiper, turning the boost down a tad, and generally making it more friendly!