Yaw sensor fault / alarm backup battery

S3 YEA

Reaction score
does anyone know how to get to these two components?

I've seen an explosion diagram from ETKA and I now know the vacinity, but honestly, I can't tell exactly where they are or how to get to them! :think:

Thanks very much!

The alarm backup battery is not seviceable. The whole siren unit has to be replaced if taking it to a dealer.

Saying that, theres no reason why you couldn't take your old one apart and have a look and see if the battery is replaceable...

madvw said:
The alarm backup battery is not seviceable. The whole siren unit has to be replaced if taking it to a dealer.

Saying that, theres no reason why you couldn't take your old one apart and have a look and see if the battery is replaceable...

I'll probably do that... So the battery is a part of the siren then? My explosion diagram shows that as being under the bonnet, probably by the looks behind that grille thing where the tubes that carry the water to the washers run...

...does that tie in with your knowledge of the situation?

Thanks a lot!! :)

I am also looking to find yaw acceleration sensor,i thought of trying behind centre console first as it should be inside the car ,probably needs to be low and it bolts to something solid,how much are they to buy in the dealer?I just picked one up for £63 brand new from ebay,so i hope they are more than that from stealer.Happy hunting,we shall see who finds it first,lol.Cheers Andy

The lateral acceleration sensor is attached to the left hand side of the steering column, you will need to take off the lower cowling.

Do a search for 'lateral acceleration sensor' and you should find my thread with pictures...

ANDYTQ said:
I am also looking to find yaw acceleration sensor,i thought of trying behind centre console first as it should be inside the car ,probably needs to be low and it bolts to something solid,how much are they to buy in the dealer?I just picked one up for £63 brand new from ebay,so i hope they are more than that from stealer.Happy hunting,we shall see who finds it first,lol.Cheers Andy

AH HA!! It was YOU!!! I was bidding against you in the closing minutes!! HA! How about that?!
Dealers want over £300 for one... Anyways, I let you go on that and hooked one myself days later for £45! In your face!! :biggrin:

Alls I know is its near the driver side front wheel arch... Haven't laid eyes on it yet though... Now I know you're wanting to sort it too, I will let you know when I've done it where it goes...:respekt:

Stewart said:
The lateral acceleration sensor is attached to the left hand side of the steering column, you will need to take off the lower cowling.

Do a search for 'lateral acceleration sensor' and you should find my thread with pictures...

Ah, sweet dude, that's really useful thanks!!

I'll have a crack at it tomorrow night... Will try and post some pics (assuming I'm successful) for others who need to sort it...

S3 YEA said:
Ah, sweet dude, that's really useful thanks!!

I'll have a crack at it tomorrow night... Will try and post some pics (assuming I'm successful) for others who need to sort it...

I've already posted pics as i mentioned earlier...

Guys, there are TWO sensors, they are located on the same bracket. Apparently these were replaced in later years with a combi sensor for lateral acceleration and yaw.

Pic here :-

http://www.oreton.com/images/cars/lateral_sens1.jpg

The smaller one is the lateral acceleration sensor code G200 I think it was.

You need to double check in VAG-COM for the correct error code.

The smaller sensor was around £60 and the larger one is very close to £200.

Previous threads on the issue with part numbers here :-

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=23211&highlight=lateral+acceleration+sensor

Stewart said:
I've already posted pics as i mentioned earlier...

Guys, there are TWO sensors, they are located on the same bracket. Apparently these were replaced in later years with a combi sensor for lateral acceleration and yaw.

Pic here :-

http://www.oreton.com/images/cars/lateral_sens1.jpg

The smaller one is the lateral acceleration sensor code G200 I think it was.

You need to double check in VAG-COM for the correct error code.

The smaller sensor was around £60 and the larger one is very close to £200.

Previous threads on the issue with part numbers here :-

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=23211&highlight=lateral+acceleration+sensor

The part I have is the combo one... I know about the two sensors. They're both daughters of a single part number. Together, my local Audi dealership wants almost £500 Incl VAT... Mental!

Anyway, can anyone help me with my alarm quandry? That's kinda more difficult and more important! :think:

Thanks a lot all!!

I thought the battery backup was part of the siren however this was in the rear of the car under the central locking pump. If that is the case then it really is a pain to get to, youll need to remove rear seat bottom, door trim, rear boot trim, rear boot sill trim, sub, cd changer, central locking pump all before you get access to it. Dont think you can get to it without removing all that trim.
I had my alarm battery come up as faulty a few years ago, used to do the 4 beeps on startup, shortly after this my main battery died. Replaced the main battery and it seemed to sort out the alarm battery as well.

I sorted out my abs light today,i took the lower dash panel off the drivers side err no sensor to be found,checked behind glove box panel and there it was ,i presume my earlier car ie no traction control is different.I only have the one sensor on my car so i took the new sensor off the new bracket and swapped them over,no light now and abs all ok.I still have a new yaw sensor left which is no good to me,any offers ?Cheers Andy