xs turbokit experiences ?

nick-s3

Reaction score
Hi , planning to do a full forged rebuild of my s3 8L this winter and i'm starting to buy few parts allready .

My car is fully stock and would need manifold , downpipe and decat ...

was planning to do ebay fmic , xs downpipe , xs decat , bmc airfilter and xs manifold with stock turbo and run it for a while because the engine rebuild will set me back enough :)

Would love to see 290 bhp

and than i found this on the web http://xs-power.com/audi-turbokits-7.htm

I read a lott of good things about xs downpipe and manifolds ... but this kit with turbo seems to good to be true isn't it ?

any of you guys that tried this kit ?

turbo is no good

relentless is the uk version of the dp and mani you are looking at and they dont sell the turbo
from memory it made less power than the oem unit it replaced.
hope thats right!

get a jr filter
relentless downpipe and manifold
b5 tip
fmic wellycooler
decent cat back
wmi
and map it
290 isnt a definate but if everyrhing is working well it will be much more interesting to drive

allright thx ... And would there be any afortable turbo unit on the market that will flow enough to reach the 290 mark ?

Kind regads

potentially yours
a good few k04 turbos have hit over 300bhp with all the relevant hardware
the problem is it isnt guaranteed.
you just have to decide what route to take or price you want to spend and go for it.
if you are going to change turbo then 290 is fairly pointless imo

ive put a hybrid on mine and hit 330bhp

only difference between mine and a stage 2 car is fuel pump
injectors and turbo
but the difference is dramatic tbh

And what hybrid turbo is on yours ?

Ive got a budget around 5000 pounds this is for engine and all parts ...

bbt 418t
turbo was 800

do you diy or pay for fitting?

And what hybrid turbo is on yours ?

Ive got a budget around 5000 pounds this is for engine and all parts ...

Welly cooler £240 (DIY)

IE forged rods fitted with new piston rings is probably £1000+ (recommended for near 300ft lbs or more)

Exhaust £500

so for £2000 your engine is ready for upto 500hp +.

Then you'll need
550cc (or bigger) injectors £270
custom remap £400 +
Fuel pump DA-27 £100

Then you decide either stay ko4 frame

Relentless DP and Pro4 manifold £500
BBT418t £800
B5 v3 TIP & heat shield £170

should make 300 - 350hp depending on engine health.

or skip the last 3 ko4 specific bits and just go big turbo (preferably in T3 hotside to keep EGT's lower) if you can get a turbo, oil/water lines, intake, manifold and downpipe within budget.

GT3071 for max of like ~ 420hp
GT3076 for max of nearer ~ 500hp

Not that I've priced all this up in my head 100 times......

Last edited:
Reactions: JUS3IN and daz-20vt
If you're planning to go big turbo there isn't much point getting manifolds and downpipes for the ko4 as they won't fit when you go big

If you're gonna go big turbo, might as well just get a stage 1 for now (with a good fmic that's rated to the power you're eventually looking for) until you can afford it. Going stage 2 or 3 and then deciding to go big turbo would be very expensive

this is an odd one
you have a good budget for someone who wants 290bhp

usually people want 400 bhp on 1 k lol

I'm planning to do everything myself exept the engine works ...

engine works will cost 2700 pounds

Full rebuild of the head (but with oem valves etc)
carillo pistons
cariollo rods
mahle crank and camshaft bearings
coolantpomp , oilpomp ....

so i got about 2000 left for clutch , tuning parts and a map :)

Big turbo sounds great but it just isn't possible on my budget ... i rather have a reliable fast car that runs around 300 bhp with allot of new parts than a 450 bhp monster with second had parts !

Just hoping the s3 will feel more alive and sporty after this ! i had a r53 cooper s 240 bhp , fiesta st 200 bhp and focus st mk3 275 bhp and Always had a lot of fun with them .

ive got the s3 for about 9 weeks and in stock form it is a very boring car actually ... no sound , not extremely fast and the steering and cornering feels a little hazy .

Yep the S3 is shockingly boring and not a great steer with the regular understeer when pushing on an out of the factory S3 8l :-\

Suspension, ARB, adjustable tie arms, bushes and brakes would also require an upgrade to get the full enjoyment out of the car IMO

Thats the pro4 and downpipe, its £400 posted, if you get stung by customs charges and Vat it bumps it to about £500 all in.

sam bryant on facebook sells it all

i think you need to slow down here.
why so much work?
and for 290 bhp??
why is engine work 2700?
labour only?
why do you want a new clutch
is yours slipping?

car has done 146000 miles and using oil , and think the head is cracked because i'm losing coolant ! I bought the car very cheap but car is missing service history .. so would like to do everything right so i can enjoy the car for years without any majour problems .

clutch isnt slipping but would be easy to replace when engine is out .

Price is for labour and parts and don't get me wrong would love to see more than 290 bhp but would be happy for now with 290 :)

it just seems like an aweful lot for that power
id do rods and rings only personally
if the clutch is ok and not too many miles on it id leave it.
your car of course just be careful you dont go ott on it

Check bores for ovality... No sense in fitting new round rings to oval worn bores

<tuffty/>

You can do a big turbo build with 5k. Takes bargain hunting, patience and DIY.

But as advise, the tfsi ko4 upgrade is best bang for buck imo. ~360hp for what you'd spend on the stock ko4 and end up with considerably less.

That's what I would do anyway

So you guys would drop the sump and mesure the crank put new bearings with forged rods and new piston rings on it and just re do the head then ?