1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenons or not?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Higgsy, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Higgsy

Higgsy Hard To Spin

[Dec 9, 2010]
    Right im a wee bit confused folks :confused:, i was sure i had xenons on my car and considering a xenon bulb went today its probably a good idea i straighten this out.

I was under the impression that all xenons needed washers, mine has none, theyre factory lights and i aint sure at all what bulb to go for, was just gonna hit up Halfrauds tommorow.

Any advice is welcome

Cheers

Higgsy
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 2, 2014]

3. Higgsy

Higgsy Hard To Spin

[Dec 9, 2010]
    [​IMG]

These are the lights ive got
  4. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Dec 9, 2010]
    well im not the best for this but if it had them from new yet you have no washers jets it could be the bumper has been changed and they could not find the right one at the time it had the knock so just did away with them. as for the headlight you have in the pic that looks like all of them ie mine look that way and i did not have HIDs/xenons. also id look about for them mate halfords are good but not the cheapest place unles you have a trade account with them then they are really good ;-)
  5. CHRIS555

CHRIS555 DOPE with added OCD

[Dec 9, 2010]
    I have xenons and yes i have the washers as well.
  6. mlody

mlody Member

[Dec 9, 2010]
    The xenon lights can look the same as the normal halogen lights, if you have no washers or no auto-leveling then they are just halogen bulbs. Or you can check it very quickly, drive close to a wall, turn your lights on (they have to be cold) and look at the beam, if it goes on very strong at start it means its a normal bulb, if it takes a while to brighten up then they are xenons, if not, compare the lights to a different car, see if they are a bit whiter/bluer. IF that doesnt work then take the bulb out and see what fitting it is :D If its d2s or d1s then its a xenon, if h7, its a halogen ;)
  7. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Dec 9, 2010]
    you can tell by the look of the bulb to xenons are much thiner
  8. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

[Dec 9, 2010]
    Xenons FTW :wub:
  9. jd26

jd26 Member

[Dec 9, 2010]
    Hard to say without seeing them in action Higgsy - they are projector style lights but could well still have gay regular bulbs like mine..
  10. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Dec 9, 2010]
    ok need to ask as i still dont get all the text talk FTW ?

11. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

[Dec 10, 2010]
    Legally: Xenons have to have washers and auto-levelling... you may have a Xenon upgrade kit (which is technically illegal without the washer & auto-levelling), but definitely not factory Xenon's unless the car has had a front-end collision, lost it's bumper and had it replaced with the more common non-washer version.
  12. Higgsy

Higgsy Hard To Spin

[Dec 10, 2010]
    For The Win!!
  13. Higgsy

Higgsy Hard To Spin

[Dec 10, 2010]
    cheers guys, was a bit confused there but am just gonna change em like for like, they pretty easy to get out?
  14. BahnStormer77

[Dec 10, 2010]
    There are some good guides: PM me an e-mail and/or I can upload them later.

You'll need a torq screwdriver or "socket" set (T25?) with about a 25cm extension and a stubby flat-head screwdriver as a starting point.

I think you'll also need a Philips-head screwdriver for the driver's side: remove the two screws from the front of the air filter and then you can just pull that duct out.

You may also need to move some clipped on plastic covers out the way on the passenger side.

Then both headlights are roughly the same: remove the top two Torq screws and loosen the two lower two (needs the extension to reach those) and then use the stubby screw driver to pop the wiring loom plug off and slide the whole unit forward, careful not to scrape the bumper (ELSAwin says to use masking tape and protective covers on the bumpers).
  15. Higgsy

Higgsy Hard To Spin

[Dec 10, 2010]
    nice one lad, all sorted now with a set of high performance bulbs fitted, they were just the standard H7s, spent 25 mins tryin to find the inboard aft torx screw off the driver side, little fec**er dropped down into the heatshield, thank god for flexigrabs!!
  16. BahnStormer77

[Dec 10, 2010]
    ha ha.... I mean to recommend magnetic torq bits... I find a tenny bit of winding it back allows the torq bits to stay with the screwdriver... saves 20 mins scrambling around with yer grabbers.

big "top tip".... if you're tryign to undo somethign with an allen key bit.... it's the wrong part!!!
  17. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Dec 10, 2010]
    Or if all that fails, put a bit of blue tak on the end of the driver, that will stop the screw falling straight off!