Xenon versus LED Headlight option

I AM SURE...Audi LED headlights will be far better than SEATS..........Dont mean to offend anyone but the SEATS look naff,basically because they look far to big for the car "too tall"and also ever so slightly toooo blue, more like 6000k+ in colour tempreture,best colour is between 5500/6000k

Reactions: Rob2k68
^^^^ that would be awesome guys.

Reactions: The Challinor
Yeah l think this debate over car "headlight jewellery" needs "put too bed" as they say,got Xenons but hope the LED wins...as i may chop my S3 in, come 36 months... for one with LEDS lol

Are the LED any worse is what i'm wondering? I've specced them on my incoming S3 and hope they are just as good if not better than the Xenons on my 2014 TT.

Are the LED any worse is what i'm wondering? I've specced them on my incoming S3 and hope they are just as good if not better than the Xenons on my 2014 TT.

They are not noticeably worse You will see a difference in looks for the better.

Last edited:
Clarity and definition of objects and features of the road is what's it's about.....

Think people are getting very hung up on brightness.

High beam assist always seems to be rated as a positive reason for getting LEDs.

Is this not a separate option which can just be specced with the standard xenons, or am I missing something? Thanks : )

Yes, and not only that, but Xenons in combination with the lane assist (I think) enables you to spec variable range lights, which light up as much of the road as it can up to the oncoming car / car in front (ie, at any possible position between dipped and full beam), something not available with LED lights.. It's great watching the light beam slowly dip as a car approaches and then go back to full when it has passed!

Clarity and definition of objects and features of the road is what's it's about.....

Think people are getting very hung up on brightness.

There is sense in this statement.

Car headlights should be the appropriate brightness for the situation you are in, not necessarily just full brightness.

(Some of us though, grew up with Cibié Super Oscars hanging off the front of our cars ;) )

Reactions: glospete, Rob2k68 and Pulp84
I can't comment in comparison to Xenon's as per the original post but coming from Seat Leon LED headlamps I'm glad to report that those fitted to the A3 are miles better. There are two distinct projections similar to xenons rather than the somewhat faded areas that you'd have in front of you from the Leon lighting pattern. The broader cornering function at junctions is nice to have and works well. As for main beam - just Wow !! Indicators are epic you see a lot of orange reflected on road signs. Overall look and style also a home run - think the lenses are tinted slightly. I can't see anyone going for LED headlamps being disappointed really.

High beam assist is slightly slower to react than the Leon but I put that down to having different camera technology as that had lane assist with the triangle camera fitted directly to the screen whereas my camera is built into the rear view mirror (no lane assist fitted).

Agree the LEDs are amazing was no need for concern.

They also look amazing when you lock/unlock get the wow factor every time you get in/out.

Still not as bright as the S3 Xenons when we compared against S3 LEDs though :p

:undwech:

Reactions: The Challinor
This thread is starting to get a whiff of mono.pur and hold assist to it.....

Reactions: veeeight
Sorry, sorry, couldn't resist :p

I'll go stand in the corner :(

(You are correct though)

Reactions: Pulp84
Is it just me or did any of you expect the LED headlights to "bend" like the adaptive xenons?

Reading my spec via MyAudi Mobile it leads me to think I should have bending.

LED_zps5nfcnnxh.png
LED_zps5nfcnnxh.png

Last edited:
My LED headlights do. When I turn my wheels a bulb will light up and illuminate the corner area.

My LED headlights do. When I turn my wheels a bulb will light up and illuminate the corner area.
Yeah that's the fixed bending / all weather lights immediately to the side of the car. But way ahead, do the forward facing LED's rotate to point into a corner like adapative xenons?

@glospete do your leds point into corners mate?

If you mean do they turn as I turn a corner then the answer is no. My TT with adaptive Xenons do this. My A3 has additional lights which illuminate when the steering wheel is turned and they light up the area to the left or right. On balance I prefer them to the TT adaptive Xenons.

I don't find LED's on my S3 significantly better than the Xenons on my previous BMW. It isn't like moving from Halogen to Xenons.

There is an MMI option to switch for RHD to LHD for adaptive lighting.

I don't find LED's on my S3 significantly better than the Xenons on my previous BMW. It isn't like moving from Halogen to Xenons.

There is an MMI option to switch for RHD to LHD for adaptive lighting.

As I understand it, LEDs don't have an adaptive function - they don't have any mechanical "swivel" like adaptive Xenons. It is purely an additional light which illuminates for corners or poor weather. And if you have Audi Connect High there is an extended range of illumination above 68mph but I'm not sure how that works - is there an additional bulb?

From the A3 brochure:

- Turning lights provide more lateral illumination on tight bends and when turning
- The headlight distribution modes for motorway light and country road light are activated depending on the road speed
- Motorway light with extended range at speeds above approximately 68mph
- All-weather light makes conventional front fog lights superfluous and reduces glare in poor visibility (in fog, rain or snow)
- In conjunction with Technology package with Mobile telephone preparation - High with Audi Connect (WB4) the navigation data works with the LED headlights to control the light distribution with motorway light and country light modes using the stored route data from MMI Navigation plus with MMI Touch
- Junction light, which provides a wide front light setting, as well as travel mode, which switches between right and left-hand drive modes assisted by GPS data

Correct no swivel. Just static corner lights which turn on at a 45 degree turn of the wheel.

Wasn't sure I'd like it over the actual swivel of adaptive xenons, doesn't look as impressive but does the job just fine.

It doesn't move main beam on a long sweeping corner but in that case the car is usually cornering enough to cover the area. Then on the tighter corners when you really need it the static corner light comes on.

I agree with the aforementioned two posts. I have also noted when first activated they do the down, up adjustment test like xenons, so I think the motorway lighting simply tweaks the beam up a little.

Question regarding high beam assist.... If not specced can it be retro activated with VCDS? My car will have the rain/light sensor. (no lane assist cameras)

thx

Reactions: Schlaag