1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenon side light bulb not standard?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by dan_b, Aug 4, 2007.

1. dan_b

dan_b Member

[Aug 4, 2007]
    Hi all - my 03 A4 has Xenons, and one of the sidelight bulbs has blown. "No problem" I thought, popped to Halfrauds, double checked the bulb listing and sure enough it said I needed the standard 12v 5w push in type. Pull the old bulb out (tricky, it was in the bulb holder very very tightly, and the contact wire was soldered on). Put new bulb in, except I can't, it doesn't fit.

Does anyone know what type of bulb is in the Xenon sidelight? It almost looks like a halogen. There are no marks on the glass to indicate a part number or a wattage. :tocktock:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. golf

golf ***** rent boy VCDS Map User

[Aug 4, 2007]
    To my knowledge all A4's have the same sidelight bulb. It should fit, maybe you were putting it in the wrong hole? (The bane of my life...)
  4. chris_20

chris_20 Member

[Aug 5, 2007]
    lol, yer ive changed mine on a couple of occasions and as far as i remember there the correct bulbs the push in wedge type
  5. Macduff

Macduff Member

[Aug 5, 2007]
    Xenons definitely have a different sidelight bulb I know this from personal experience!

Standard halogen lights have W5W but Xenons have H6W

HTH
  6. bubstar

bubstar Member

[Aug 5, 2007]

Yep, here's one.........
    [​IMG]
  7. dan_b

dan_b Member

[Aug 12, 2007]
    That's the swine yes, thanks. An H6W, can I pick that up from any normal mtotor factor?

Rather worringly, mine didn't come out of the bulb holder looking like that though, the base of my bulb is glass, not the metal sheath that is in the picture. Should the sheath have come out too? Whoops.
  8. bubstar

bubstar Member

[Aug 12, 2007]
    Mmmmmmmm....... Sounds like you might be in for some fun. ;)

You should be able to get them from a good factor but why not get some Philips Blue Visions?
  9. dan_b

dan_b Member

[Aug 12, 2007]
    Good point - how much for said Philips bulbs, would be nice for the side lights to colour match the Xenons a bit better...
  10. dan_b

dan_b Member

[Aug 25, 2007]
    Bought the Philips Blue Visions from Autobulbs Direct online, found a discount code by Googleing so got an extra 15% off. Fitted in 5mins - once I realised it was a simple bayonet fitting...
    Will see when it gets dark what the colour match is like compared to the stock Xenons, hope it's better than the wee-yellow of the stock sidelight bulbs!