Crap Xenon range after suspension change

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Chaps

Tonight is the first night i have used my car in the dark after getting new lowering spring fitted 3 weeks ago and i have noticed that the headlight range is utter crap, i can't see a thing! i even stopped on a layby to switch the car off and back on again so the headlights does its adaptions again.

I know that lowering your car makes a difference to the auto level but overall the car has only been lowered 5mm (30mm lowering springs but the S-Line is already 25mm lower than standard).

I have been told that there is a sensor on the rear axle of the car that has something to do with the autolevelling, does anyone know more information about this or if the headlight range can be adjusted using Vag-Com?

If not i'll have to go back to PSI who fitted the suspension as the lights are terrible!

Just used Vagcom to see if i can adjust the range of the xenons but i don't know which function i need to mess with, i can get into the xenon controller but changing the numbers in functions 1-4 makes no difference, does anyone know which numbers i need to change?

Rob, i got the same on my polo gti but that was lowered loads, i am suprised you get such a difference with 5 mm lowering.

i reckon you put a few sand bags in the boot, that will raise the front and then i can keep up with you to ;)

Lowered my S3 by 25mm and the headlights are fine... not noticed any difference and drove 300 miles in the middle of the night last week......
I don't think Regal (who fitted the springs) changed anything.

robin, my a3 zenons are exactly the same m8, kinda scary for driving on b roads etc, i think im gonna adjust mine under the bonnet manually, as i dont hav vagcom as yet:(

cal

The best thing to do is to have your headlamp beams checked and set using proper beam setting equipment at a garage. Once they are set correctly the auto-levelling should work to keep the at the same level.

Sorry for the thread-jack!

Robin get some piccies up - would like to have a good gander now you've lowered it.

Have you got your spacers yet?

I had mine lowered with 30mm springs and there is zero change in headlight performance. Weird. GET SOME PICS UP ROBIN

No point really getting pics up as there is no noticable difference in ride height, the ride quality is perfect now though!

i had this problem too when i lowered my mk5 gti , there is a sensor on one of the rear arms which is connected via a small metal lever, this lever can pivot all the way round onto the wrong side of its action and stop working because of this. you'll need to jack the car up and remove the lever with pliers or something and swing it round to the correct side and reconnect it. if my memory serves me right the connecting bar should hang almost vertically. or if whoever fitted the springs did not disconnect it then it may just be fecked/snapped.

I inspected the arm for the sensor on the rear axle and it was ok, took it off to check that it wasn't bent or anything.

I have now decided to manually adjust the lights using a screwdriver to turn the white adjuster on the xenon light itself, gave it a turn on both sides, made a massive difference now, back to how it was, also took it out and got no oncoming cars flashing me so i am hoping its at the correct level.

what you should do when changing suspension is use vag to set the levelling motors to a default mode in mot bay & then adjust the beams manually then turn of the standard mode in vag & then the levelling motors will do the rest, I dont know of hand the vag codes but this is how its done with adaptive & auto levelling, basically it puts the motors into the default position so you can set them correctly.

There's 2 sensors for auto levelling, 1 is on rear axle & 1 is on front, only on 1 side of rear & front not both, I'm guessing maybe when the suspension has been worked on maybe something has knocked the sensors out of place & also these can get snapped of as someone else on here had, I strongly advise you not disconnect the sensors, they are infact a legal requirement for xenons fella & soon to be covered under the MOT at some point.

Check with Ross-tech for the settings so can adjust manually the beam correctly.

No point really getting pics up as there is no noticable difference in ride height, the ride quality is perfect now though!

I'm not into lowering but I notice you said the ride height hasnt been compromised, is this 100% accurate & I was gonna fit FSD's with some better springs I just dont want lowered TBH, maybe front slightly but minimal.

Nigel, the ride height has been lowered by 5mm which is nothing, the only way i know its 5mm is because i measured it pre and after new springs, you can't tell by looking at the car.

You'll be fine with some 30mm springs, i love mine as the ride is lovely!

I had problems setting the levels on mine and it was because the rear sensor had swung the wrong way and so you can't put the Xenons into adjustment mode because the rear sensor is out of range.

Paul

I take it the old problem of dodgy adjuster motors havent been carried across into the newer model? They had a habit of shinining 2 feet in front of the car!

On the 8L the common issue of headlights to low was when someone adjusted the manual screws to much & pulled the headlight of the ball joint of the motor which inturn made the headlight dip to as you say 2 feet in front of car, the motors did 2 things in the 8L, 1st held the headlight internals steady in place at the correct level anyway & also the levelling system, I'm not sure if the 8P has the same ball joint fixing on end of motors or they changed this to a screw thread connection to headlight internals, anyone confirm or got pic of the 8P motors?

I had to adjust the white plastic screw on mine when I lowered it, only about a quarter of a turn but sorted the problem!