1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenon not firing/working

s3 Hoggy Nov 11, 2011

1. s3 Hoggy

s3 Hoggy Whats going on???

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a nightmare with my drivers side headlight at the moment, basically it wont turn on (ever)...
    Now stupidly I presumed that it must be the bulb so went out and bought some new bulbs. Fitted them and it still wont work! Ive been having a read and it looks like it could be the Ballast that's the problem? anyway my question is would I be able to buy a ballast from somewhere or will I need a whole new light? already spent £130 on two bulbs! so I hope I'm able to get a ballast!

Any help would be great!
    Thanks, Matt

2. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member Regional Rep

Ive wondered before if the balast ( which is stuck to the headlight unit itself ) could be replaced with one of the after market items used in the kits sold on say ebay??

3. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

Its not stuck to the headlight, its on a bracket below the light, and yes an aftermarket ballast should work..

4. S3 Paul

S3 Paul Well-Known Member Regional Rep

Ah, The man at audi had me thinking it was all one and was £300 plus vat per side

5. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

The little tinkers...:tapedshut:

6. s3 Hoggy

Don't suppose you know what ballast I would need do you Dave? I'm a bit clueless with anything electrical

7. chris-edin

chris-edin Member

Just searched 'audi s3 ballast' on ebay mate, 6 hits......

'audi ballast' got 80 odd hits.

Chris

8. Ian W

Ian W Active Member

£130 on two bulbs! Are they gold plated :wacko:

9. s3 Hoggy

10. s3gazz

s3gazz Well-Known Member

I had that prob and just bought a new set from gti international now when I go over a bump it turns off then switch lights on and off again comes back on what's going on

11. s3 Hoggy

Fixed the problem with a second-hand ballast, the ballast is a separate part to the headlight it sits just underneath the headlight in a bracket. You have to take the whole headlight out to replace it! bit of a pain but its all sorted now so I can see where I'm going again!

[​IMG]