1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenon light self levelling problem! PLEASE HELP :(

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by mattyboy_82, Sep 2, 2012.

1. mattyboy_82

mattyboy_82 Member

As i posted earlier i had a problem with my xenon lights 2010 with DRL, they seem to dazzle people i thought they were too bright but case was the passenger light was too high! however just took it for a drive as earlier we plugged it into VCDS and is saidd there was a fault with the light range or something cant remember now but it came up with a fault, so anyway we tried to find the sensor that sorts the levelling out but couldnt find it! so any way we manually adjusted the lights by comparing the beam on a ruler and they same to match up however just now took it for a drive and the passenger side seems slightly better but the drivers side seems alot lower , i got the 2 L shapes going across but obviously the passenger is higher, now apparently usually when plugged into VCDS it will sort it out back to factory but it couldnt sort it! the lights go up and down fine when u first turn the lights but dont understand why VCDS couldnt sort it?? anyway should i take it to a MOT place so they can manually adjust it properly?? thanks all
  2. Lewis583

Lewis583 Active Member

There are 2 sensors. One on the Nearside front lower suspension arm and one on the rear( I would think on the offside, though i'm not 100% on the rear).

If the rod hasn't come off one of the sensors, you could have a faulty sensor/other electrical fault in the circuit.
  3. mattyboy_82

mattyboy_82 Member

But the bloke checked earlier and couldn't find any sensors at all in the front and no signs that anything had fall off or broke that's where we were confused
  4. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

If car got factory xenon's fitted (should also have headlamp washers) then the sensor is located on the front nearside suspension attached to the wishbone. It's dead easy to see.
    My car had fault "Range control faulty" fixed with a new sensor. Easy pezi job, if wheel removed for better axis.
    In my case, no need for VCDS to re-calibrate.
    If sensor had fallen off, I'd say the 2pin plug should still be attached to wiring loom.
  5. mattyboy_82

mattyboy_82 Member

How much was the actual sensor to buy? Thanks
  6. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets

if it turns out you need the range unit drop me a pm ive got a 2010+ version for cheap
  7. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

You need to post up the actual fault, as we're just throwing ideas in the air atm, pointless changing anything without actually knowing the cause.

Also do your research, when calibrating the beam with vcds, you have to set what is known as mot mode, then adjust them manually all whilst sitting on a flat surface namely mot bay.

This has been discussed numerous times, so always do a search 1st.

Also as per above, there are 2 sensors, 1 on front axle passenger side look behind the brake discs/suspension leg down low & 1 on rear passenger side hidden underneath which requires lifting car to get to safely & each has a 4 pin connector to them using 3 wires.

This is of course if they're from factory as also mentioned above.

If you've lowered the car at all or suspension work, then the arms could of snapped or you havnt done a calibration at the new height.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  8. mattyboy_82

mattyboy_82 Member

I have done a search !!! Was looking for hours thanks! But couldn't find a specific thread with the answer I needed. Well I haven't taken the wheel off but my mate turned the wheel full lock and couldn't see any sensor at all so we have assumed its bloody fallen off!
  9. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

They dont just fall of, they're bolted on very well normally, rear has 5 bolts in total & front has 2 because its smaller, but very strong fixings usually.

I would say you just need to get a torch in there & get underneath to see the area better, but as advised, 1st get the fault code as it may not even be this the issue.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  10. mattyboy_82

mattyboy_82 Member

All I know is it sais on the Vcds range control falty so god knows but my mate couldn't find any sensor at all there but we only turned the wheel full lock didn't take the wheel off
  11. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets

is your car a quattro?
  12. mattyboy_82

mattyboy_82 Member

No mate , 1.6 tdi s line 2 wheel drive
  13. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets

the sensors are connected between the arms and the subframe they are in an elbow shape, we would need to see the vcds scan that was taken

did you have your led xenons fitted or where they there from factory?
  14. mattyboy_82

mattyboy_82 Member

Ye from factory mate with the washers built into front bumper if I can il try and get the code tonite gonna phone Audi see if I can get it done on warranty
  15. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets

should be no problem if it is the unit
  16. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

If its under 3 years old then get audi to fix.