xenon leveling

chippie

Reaction score
is there a problem with the leveling on the xenon headlights, mine seem to vary from about 2 to 10 meters,i've had them checked and reset but still seem to move a lot even whilst on a single jurney

Mine are in to the dealers on Tuesday for this, they randomly move down. Sometimes switching them off and on repeatedly makes them go back up.

Hopefully it'll get fixed, quite common it seems.

Mine has been in about 6 times now!! last time for a new leveling motor on the right hand light! the time before for new sensors. now the left hand light has started droping. will i ever get it fixed (see xenon headlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif)

I'm considering making a block booking with my local dealer for my headlights as well, the levelling sensor went twice on my first S3 and the linkage between the lamp and the levelling motor has just been replaced on my new S3.

When the levelling sensors go, turning the lights off and on sometimes made the problem go away for a while.

Normally they sense when it's a dark night and you're on a narrow country lane with a big ditch and you're cornering hard - that's invariably when they'll dip down :)

Just had to have my offside light realigned by Audi, not sure how it got 'out of line', one day it just started pointing high and blinding oncoming cars. I wasn't too happy being charged £28 for the work!

(I didn't read the bit in the S3 brochure that said,
"You will always walk away from the Audi dealer feeling ripped off and each time less likely to place your new car order with them.....")

Apparently they only 'set' when turned on initially and the motors wind the lens down to compensate it the boot it fully loaded. I had thought they were dynamically self leveling, but apparently not. And alignment cannot be claimed under the normal Audi warranty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

From what I was told by my local dealer, the lamps do dynamically self level, but at intervals - it's not 'real time'. You can see them do this if you load the car or move from the flat onto a slope.

Spence, I wonder if the mechanic who told you they set at start-up would have told you that the earth was flat if he'd thought that would have made you go away quicker.

Car was in this morning. It's getting new motors fitted, lets see if that fixes it, will report back later.

Yes, I was thinking that a little myself khufu. Apparently all the signals are correct, so I presume it's not just a motor, more a servo and some electronics. We'll see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The CD works great, thanks!!!!!!

Out of curiosity I read the manual and it says clearly that the lights are dynamic and realign whilst driving to account for acceleration/breaking as well as heavy loads. Not quite the same as the dealer mechanic who was adimant that Audi did not yet have the technology for dynamic levelling - maybe they should RTFM!!!