1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenon Headlights

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by wascal, Sep 26, 2002.

1. dorflerm

dorflerm New Member

[Aug 7, 2003]
    Hi,

Recently acquired a Negaro Blue S3 (2001) with all the trimmings (incl Sat-Nav) and it is the canine's plums.....what fun to drive, I am continually thinking of excuses to drive it, to the extent that given the current public transport chaos, I drove into work in London today.

Anyhow, my problem is this.... I noticed last night that one of the headlamps appears to cast it's beam quite a bit lower on the road than the other. I beleive the Xenon's are self levelling and as such, why would one headlight be completely differently set to the other. Is this a matter of a simple adjustment, or is it according to those "in the know" at the local Audi dealership as case of having to replace the entire headlamp assembly as the self levelling motor has given up the ghost ?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Aug 7, 2003]
    The beams can just go wonky sometimes. Happened to me after a few months and the car was brand new.

I took my car to the dealer, they attached the diagnostic equipment and adjusted it. Not sure how they did it though.

I think there is a way of manually adjusting it - I'm sure someone will post how. Might be worth doing a search on here actually.

AL
  4. munkey

munkey Member

[Aug 7, 2003]
    Got the same problem, drivers beam shines about 4ft in fron of the car - Usefull!

Trip to the Stealers I think... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif
  5. Mo-S3

Mo-S3 Member

[Aug 7, 2003]
    Mine were pointing way too low. Took it to the dealers and they adjusted them back up to a more acceptable level using their VAG COM. He did mention that he'd never seen a car with the main lights pointing so low. Oh well !!
    Looks like they are pointing a bit low again now. Have to mention it to the dealer next time.
  6. munkey

munkey Member

[Aug 7, 2003]
    Anyobne know how to make adjustments with a vag-com??. Got one and it would save me a trip to the stealers and a day without the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  7. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 7, 2003]
    It's a traffic calming feature for those of you mad S3 owners driving too aggressively. It lowers the beam so you can't see where you're going at night and have to slow down. When you've met the required amount of "driving like yer nan" hours they will come back up again.
  8. wascal

wascal New Member

[Sep 26, 2002]
    Haven't they got your new engine sorted out yet? What's their latest excuse?
  9. Little_Si

Little_Si Member

[Sep 26, 2002]
    <font size="2" face="verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think this all comes down to you not being able to use the SMG properly or the fact you are a twat
  10. douglasr

douglasr New Member

[Sep 26, 2002]
    <font size="2" face="verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, but apart from that... [​IMG]
  11. A4Steve

A4Steve Guest

[Sep 26, 2002]
    Quote" Yeah but apart from that..."

...I am sure he looks good in drag. [​IMG]

[ 26 September 2002, 19:09: Message changed or edited by: TheCreator ]
  12. Neal_A3T

Neal_A3T Member

[Sep 27, 2002]
    hd why have you reacted like this? [​IMG]

You have come across as a total prat [​IMG]

Also - i would put my familys life on jjr1 kicking your arse on both the track and in the ring - he is twice your size and i guarantee a better driver [​IMG]
  13. swhurst

swhurst New Member

[Oct 1, 2002]
    !

[ 03 October 2002, 18:29: Message changed or edited by: hd ]
  14. swhurst

swhurst New Member

[Oct 1, 2002]
    <font size="2" face="verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">How sad are you? Slurp slurp slurp!

You'd give up your family over a race?

Happily married are we?

And I thought I was an immature M3 owner!
  15. Chins

Chins Member

[Oct 1, 2002]
    This is fantastic "boring Tuesday" afternoon entertainment.

Keep up the good work chaps

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  16. Chins

Chins Member

[Oct 1, 2002]
    "i'll race anyone, i'll fight anyone and i'll shag any of your mothers................... "

.........and then the men in white coats will come and take you away. You have clearly lost the plot pal [​IMG]

And no I'm not a brown noser, I just think you may have gone a bit too far [​IMG]
  17. Hopsta

Hopsta Member

[Aug 7, 2003]
    [ QUOTE ]
    think there is a way of manually adjusting it - I'm sure someone will post how

[/ QUOTE ]

Al, your not supposed to do it maually even tho it is possible to use a phillips screwdriver. Got told off by my dealer last year as it can apparently bugger up the leveling gear, just remember thay are £450 a go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

Graham
  18. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Well-Known Member

[Aug 7, 2003]
    correct.

they are set (horizontal and vertical) cut off, hotspots, along with loads of other specifications and legal regulations. This also relates to the motor that is fitted.

this then allows it to travel + or - from its "home" position.

You wont wreck a headlight fiddling with it, but you will loose its home in relation to the motor, and easily make it illegal.

Get Audi to look at it.

It could be a controller or sensor throwing up the wrong command signal and sending low.

19. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Aug 7, 2003]
    haha, thanks for popping by and telling us that Graham. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I can remember when my light skyward, and you said "hey, you can adjust it yourself". Luckily, I didn't and went to the dealer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

AL
  20. LYRAC

LYRAC Member

[Aug 7, 2003]
    To Low or what!!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif Mine were for spotting worm holes at ten feet! Lindbrook Audi in Tonbridge sorted it out on my service. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif Now I can see where I'm going..............makes you drive faster a night though!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif
  21. RizS3

RizS3 Member

[Aug 7, 2003]
    Just curious did anybody see how its actually done?
    I`ve seen it and basically they plug the VAG computer in get a special bored with all the adjustments marked out and park the car so many meters away from the board.
    Reset the geometry and adjust them inline with the board...... mine have only lost their settings once so far and i actually didnt think there was anything was wrong until all other oncoming drivers kept flashing me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif
  22. MarkS3

MarkS3 Member

[Sep 25, 2003]
    I live in Portugal and i have the same problem the main agents just keep fitting new parts and it is costing! can some one give me some more info so that i may pass it on. thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
  23. LYRAC

LYRAC Member

[Sep 25, 2003]
    Cheers Hopsta, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
    That would be great to help all concerned!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif Well Done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
  24. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Oct 2, 2003]
    Think its just happened to mine!

The drivers side headlight is much lower on the road compared to the near side one. But sometimes it is ok and level with the nearside, if there was a fault with the auto level system then why wouldn't this show up on the computer on the dashboard as it checks the auto leveling system on startup?
  25. mramage

mramage Member

[Oct 2, 2003]

Mine are doing this again. Bizarrely if you switch them off/on repeatedly it returns to normal.

Time to call the dealer.
  26. simont

simont Member

[Oct 3, 2003]
    Sometimes this happens to my car - also my right headlight sometimes fails and I get a warning on the DIS - maybe time to get this checked out myself. hmm.

27. TanyaS3

TanyaS3 Member

[Oct 3, 2003]
    Hi

My S3 lights seem to be really low to the ground 2. Im note sure what 2 do as audis will charge me? Do u need special machine 2 lift them back to correct level as xenons?

tanya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  28. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

[Oct 3, 2003]
    Mine went and I took it to the dealer - took them less than 5 minutes and there was no charge for it.. - but I may have just been lucky...?
  29. TanyaS3

TanyaS3 Member

[Oct 3, 2003]
    hmm maybe ill give them a call and ask if they can check them 4 me then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
  30. FrOgR

FrOgR Member

[Oct 5, 2003]
    I think the dealers get a bit twitchy on the lights cos the designers made them non owner serviceable as they changed my bulbs for free and set them up. Bit stupid that u cant even change your own bulbs tho innit?