1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenon Headlights - Unusual LED Lighting Pattern? (YouTube vid)

M_D_O_London Sep 19, 2013

1. M_D_O_London

M_D_O_London Active Member

Morning All,

Was watching a review of an A3 1.8 TFSI 8V Sportback on YouTube by RPM TV (South Africa) and couldn't help notice that the vehicle has the LED daytime running lights on a strange 'demo' mode when stationary (where light seems to gradually run through the cluster). Can be seen from 3 seconds in and various other times when the vehicle is stationary.

Is this a special feature of some sort? Am sure I'm not just seeing things! :detective2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naOVHc2Ptz4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2. RJMahieu

RJMahieu New Member

It's not a feature I'm aware of. In fact, due to the erratic nature, I'm guessing it's because of a difference in frequency between the lights and the camera.

3. JohnM100

JohnM100 #teamSepang VCDS Map User Gold Supporter

+1

4. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member Team Mythos Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group TDi

Yep - it's the scan rate of the LEDs showing up as a strobe effect when filmed. To the naked eye they'll appear to be solidly on.

5. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member Team Cosmos quattro Audi A3 S-line owners group TDi DSG

So the answer is yes, you can have that effect if you film your LED lights with the right framerate, and then play it back to yourself :p

6. M_D_O_London

M_D_O_London Active Member

Ah yes - of course, that's it. Have seen similar effects on Top Gear when they've had vehicles with LED's. In slow-motion shots, the lights appear to flash / flicker. Frame rate frequency makes complete sense.

So - no MMI setting for DRL 'dance mode'

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  7. RJMahieu

RJMahieu New Member

It's too bad though. Dance mode would be a fun feature :)