Xenon Headlights possible mist / condensation

fizz

Reaction score
Hi guys, would appreciate some advice on an issue where the new bixenon headlights i've installed seem to be misting up slightly when the xenon headlamp is switched on, atealst i think its mist. This only happen when the xenon bulb is active and is around where the projector hits the lense. Any ideas what could be causing this as it makes the lights look a bit naff?

not sure i have like fine dust inside mine it ****** me off i thought they were sealed ??

not sure i have like fine dust inside mine it ****** me off i thought they were sealed ??

So did I mate, well im sure its mist but it looks more like a white burn. But it disappears as soon as the lights are off and it doesnt affect the DRLs. Looks real naff tbh.

Hi guys, would appreciate some advice on an issue where the new bixenon headlights i've installed seem to be misting up slightly when the xenon headlamp is switched on, atealst i think its mist. This only happen when the xenon bulb is active and is around where the projector hits the lense. Any ideas what could be causing this as it makes the lights look a bit naff?

If it helps, mine is exactly the same.

2.5 weeks old S3. Looks a bit 1988 peugeot doesn't it lol

If it helps, mine is exactly the same.

2.5 weeks old S3. Looks a bit 1988 peugeot doesn't it lol

You're not wrong there mate, can't believe its the same on a nearly brand new S3 too, defo makes me feel better though ;)

I think its the glare from the xenon beam (im not sure that makes much sense), mine do it (not Audi)

Its just the clarity & clear crisp light of the xenon shows the dust up inside the lense more than halogens, had 3 cars with xenons now & all did same thing, as the headlights are not a sealed unit they can accumulate particles that we dont see mostly with the lights of, but given the kelvin strength of the xenon bulbs it does show up some defects/dust on the lense, also its probably particles heated onto the inside of the lense due to the strength of the bulbs, nothing to worry about at all, you're just not used to the clarity mate, good arent they???

thought it was dust it naffs me off i wanted to clean em but thought they were sealed thanks for the info

Its just the clarity & clear crisp light of the xenon shows the dust up inside the lense more than halogens, had 3 cars with xenons now & all did same thing, as the headlights are not a sealed unit they can accumulate particles that we dont see mostly with the lights of, but given the kelvin strength of the xenon bulbs it does show up some defects/dust on the lense, also its probably particles heated onto the inside of the lense due to the strength of the bulbs, nothing to worry about at all, you're just not used to the clarity mate, good arent they???

OK, let me correct to a degree, its not sealed as in closed up cant get into at all, the rear as you know has 2 removeable covers, this is what i mean by non sealed, but the front plastic clear lense is usually sealed onto the rear part with sealant & metal clips, a heat gun or oven stint usually softens the sealant up to take apart to clean it but tbh, if you're driving around whose gonna see it, you're behind the lights so you cant see & its only if you turn on lights & stand there looking at them or coming home feature but really, some would consider that slightly anal, lol, but yeah I can see you're point but not to the point of actually going to all that trouble, but you could maybe try some wire & small cloth on end to get into the lense, but removing of car etc it really isnt worth it, especially if its stuck on the lense from the heat over time which is what my S3 xenons were, didnt make any difference.

The xenons are brill as far as lighting up the roads, defo better than halogens.

Will ill try & take pics of mine this evening after work as the defects (or whatever they are) are quite large. Be interesting to see if others are the same. Yeh go on Nige call me anal lol.

Managed to snap up a piccy last night. Its the same on both lights.

25032009393w.jpg

Yeap perfectly normal, I would say its mostly in the plastic lense itself, given how clear the xenon light is its showing the dust particles trapped in the lense manufacturing most likely & of course the heat generated inside the headlight has probably burnt the dust onto the plastic, nothing to worry about mate.