1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenon headlight washers

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3 NIK, Dec 9, 2008.

1. S3 NIK

S3 NIK Member

[Dec 9, 2008]
    Is it true that xenon headlights must have washers in order to pass an mot test. ie Like the S3 pop washer jets.
    Nik.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 27, 2014]

3. Lenny Benford

Lenny Benford snowed under

[Dec 9, 2008]
    In short......yes.
  4. S3 NIK

S3 NIK Member

[Dec 9, 2008]
    Ok thanks.
    The reason i'm asking is a guy i know has had his car in for faulty washers and he was told it was an mot requirement on xenons that they worked.
    Nik.

5. Lenny Benford

[Dec 9, 2008]
    Nik,
    I stand corrected, apparently there is a gap in the law, if you have them factory fitted on your car they have to have washers and a self leveling devise. But if they are retro fit all you need is an E-approved stamp on them and they also need to be aimed correctly at the road.
  6. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Dec 10, 2008]
    apparently HID's require HL washers as they are xenon, however the MOT requirement is that the lights are properly aligned - so not strictly true i dont think
  7. golf

golf ***** rent boy VCDS Map User

[Dec 10, 2008]
    This is a very grey area. I don't think many MOT stations are too concerned about headlight washers and auto levelling as long as all bulbs are working and are aimed correctly. However strictly speaking, if you have xenons it is a legal requirement to have washers and self levelling.

I think the Government are going to be making much stricter rules for installing aftermarket HID's in the near future. It is extremely annoying to be blinded by 10,000k blue xenons in a W-reg Toyota Avensis which doesn't even have clear headlamps never mind elliptical projectors which all xenons from the factory do.
  8. Lenny Benford

9. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Dec 10, 2008]
    In a nutshell its legal requirement game over

But its true the stations never check this, I've had now 3 audi's & not once in 8 years did they check the headlight washers or levelling systems even though the quoted article from 06, but headlight washing was on cars from 00-01 with auto levelling so must have been a requirement from those years by goverments as why fit them.
  10. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!! VCDS Map User

[Dec 10, 2008]
    it begs the question who will actually enforce the law on this...... it should be the police in theory but how can they?
  11. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Dec 10, 2008]
    The problem is there are two standards - the MOT and a road traffic offence. both have differing standards. The VOSA testing guide doesnt mention washers or leveling so its not a testable item but they are introducing it soon. As long as the images formed correctly, kicking up on the correct side and aimed in correct spot on beam tester and is white or yellow in colour its should pass. Its like window tints too, the inability to remove a wheel trim to reveal that only one bolt is holding on the wheel etc.

It will be interesting how we will test xenons. Easy to check washers working but will we be given weights to put in the boot to check if they self level???